Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline packman82  
#16 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 4:47:39 PM(UTC)
packman82

Rank: 7th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/17/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 5

Chicago media said he makes them a contender. Basically the overall opinion is Peppers is done while Allen is getting his second wind.
blank
Offline steveishere  
#17 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 6:30:01 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 868

I've always been a fan of Allen as a player but even if at this point he is better than Peppers due to age or whatever he is still not really a fit at any position in a 3-4. There's no question Peppers is a better fit for GB than Allen.
Offline DoddPower  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, April 1, 2014 7:46:50 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,862
Applause Received: 430

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
I've always been a fan of Allen as a player but even if at this point he is better than Peppers due to age or whatever he is still not really a fit at any position in a 3-4. There's no question Peppers is a better fit for GB than Allen.


Yeah, and neither is a great fit, really. At least not as an outside linebacker. I suppose both are fine as sub-package pass rushers, but I'd still rather Peppers in a 3-4.

As far as scheme fit goes though, I would have to say Jared Allen was a better signing than Julius Peppers. But that doesn't mean that the Packers should have signed Jared Allen over Julius Peppers. It's an apples and oranges comparison. Allen may have been the better signing overall, but that doesn't mean that Packers made a mistake by signing Peppers. Allen is more expensive, and likely expected to be a starter and main contributor on the Bears defense. With the Packers, Peppers will likely be expected to be a role player, and a pass rush specialist (at least until all the inevitable injuries occur). They are just different scenarios and circumstances. If utilized properly, both should be decent-to-good signings for each team. The main difference is the Packers will probably have less financial consequences if they choose to move on from their signing next season.

Jared Allen as a Packer just wouldn't have made much sense to me. Especially for what the Bears signed him for. He's more of a one trick pony. He's really good at that one trick, but Peppers undoubtedly offers a bit more versatility, even at his age, which will be important for the Packers scheme.
Offline Yerko  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:02:22 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/15/2008(UTC)
Location: Chicago, IL

Applause Given: 141
Applause Received: 234

Really hated that the Peppers/Allen comparisons came out. Living in Chicago, this is all I heard after Allen was signed to the Bears. Friends of mine posted misleading stats to make the Allen signing sound better then the Peppers signing.

The whole time I am really thinking...who cares? Is it impossible that both teams are receiving benefits of their free agents?

Quite honestly, I don't see either of them being HUGE impacts on the defenses. Peppers is going to be rotational and will have like 20-30% impact on the game and Allen is a run-stopping liability, which the Bears were DEAD LAST statistically in 2013.

To say one of these signings is going to give you contender status is absolutely stupid.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:28:08 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 403
Applause Received: 233

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
Really hated that the Peppers/Allen comparisons came out. Living in Chicago, this is all I heard after Allen was signed to the Bears. Friends of mine posted misleading stats to make the Allen signing sound better then the Peppers signing.

The whole time I am really thinking...who cares? Is it impossible that both teams are receiving benefits of their free agents?

Quite honestly, I don't see either of them being HUGE impacts on the defenses. Peppers is going to be rotational and will have like 20-30% impact on the game and Allen is a run-stopping liability, which the Bears were DEAD LAST statistically in 2013.

To say one of these signings is going to give you contender status is absolutely stupid.


What you say makes sense from a Packer point of view, but from the Bear point of view - one guy in, the other guy out, and for similar money - it's an obvious question to ask - did the Bears help themselves or hurt themselves?

My guess is that a year or two from now, that question will be answered, and Peppers will come out on top.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:40:19 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,869
Applause Received: 2,045

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
What you say makes sense from a Packer point of view, but from the Bear point of view - one guy in, the other guy out, and for similar money - it's an obvious question to ask - did the Bears help themselves or hurt themselves?

My guess is that a year or two from now, that question will be answered, and Peppers will come out on top.



Here are the hits on the 2014 Salary Cap.

Bears are paying Jared Allen $3,000,000
Bears are paying Julius Peppers $8,366,668

Packers paying Julius Peppers $3,500,000

UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:28:06 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 403
Applause Received: 233

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Here are the hits on the 2014 Salary Cap.

Bears are paying Jared Allen $3,000,000
Bears are paying Julius Peppers $8,366,668

Packers paying Julius Peppers $3,500,000



I guess I shoulda said it better: The Bears undoubtedly coulda offered to restructure Peppers for about the same as the Packers paid him plus their cap hit the way it is now - which is about the same as they gave Allen plus the Peppers cap hit. Regardless, I say the Packers got the better ball player even at 3 years advanced age. The fact that the Bears are still paying Peppers too - or at least taking a hit in their cap - will be frosting on the cake.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Yerko  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, April 2, 2014 3:26:37 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/15/2008(UTC)
Location: Chicago, IL

Applause Given: 141
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I guess I shoulda said it better: The Bears undoubtedly coulda offered to restructure Peppers for about the same as the Packers paid him plus their cap hit the way it is now - which is about the same as they gave Allen plus the Peppers cap hit. Regardless, I say the Packers got the better ball player even at 3 years advanced age. The fact that the Bears are still paying Peppers too - or at least taking a hit in their cap - will be frosting on the cake.


I believe people put a bit too much emphasis on the age aspect of players in the NFL too. Peppers hasn't slowed down due to age...he is the kind of player that goes into lulls at times. Using his age as an example for his down season last year isn't the best. The guy was the best defensive player they had on that side of the ball. He had zero support surrounding him.

Does age affect some players? Of course. I don't think age has anything to do with these two individuals though.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages<12
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Recent Topics
14m / Green Bay Packers Talk / luigis

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / coltonja

7h / Around The NFL / OlHoss1884

7h / Around The NFL / Cheesey

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

8h / Random Babble / Cheesey

8h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / QCHuskerFan

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / musccy

29-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

28-Aug / Random Babble / Wade


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.