You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline porky88  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:07:13 PM(UTC)
porky88

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,994
Joined: 4/26/2007(UTC)

Applause Given: 156
Applause Received: 284

He combined an aggressive nature with brilliant clock management. Every coach, including Mike McCarthy, should pay attention to what he did. The Saints ran a draw on third and long to setup Garrett Hartley with a field goal. Instead of letting the clock run to the two-minute warning, Payton took a timeout with 2:11 remaining. During the telecast, Joe Buck questioned the timeout. He would later presume Payton didn’t want Hartley to kick after a long break following the two-minute warning. He was wrong. Payton was saving time in case New Orleans got the ball back.

Hartley made the kick to tie the game with 2:06 remaining. As was accustom throughout the game, the kickoff was a touchback, so no time ran off the clock. San Francisco had to run a play before the two-minute warning. You could argue this was also saving time for the 49ers, but they were going to have at least two minutes and a timeout remaining. Time wasn’t much of a factor in their case.

Regardless, the Saints sacked Kaepernick on first down, and Payton again called a timeout with 2:01 remaining, forcing the 49ers to run another play before the two-minute warning. Two plays later, Kaepernick inexplicably ran out of bounds on a third and long, allowing the Saints to keep their last timeout. The 49ers had to punt the ball with 1:48 remaining.

Because of Payton’s clock management and Kaepernick’s mistake, the Saints got the ball back with a 1:41 remaining and one timeout. They probably saved about 30 seconds. I can’t remember the last time I saw a coach use his timeouts as wisely as Payton did.
Sponsor
Offline DakotaT  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:11:22 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,965
Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 566
Applause Received: 1,190

Originally Posted by: porky88 Go to Quoted Post
He combined an aggressive nature with brilliant clock management. Every coach, including Mike McCarthy, should pay attention to what he did. The Saints ran a draw on third and long to setup Garrett Hartley with a field goal. Instead of letting the clock run to the two-minute warning, Payton took a timeout with 2:11 remaining. During the telecast, Joe Buck questioned the timeout. He would later presume Payton didn’t want Hartley to kick after a long break following the two-minute warning. He was wrong. Payton was saving time in case New Orleans got the ball back.

Hartley made the kick to tie the game with 2:06 remaining. As was accustom throughout the game, the kickoff was a touchback, so no time ran off the clock. San Francisco had to run a play before the two-minute warning. You could argue this was also saving time for the 49ers, but they were going to have at least two minutes and a timeout remaining. Time wasn’t much of a factor in their case.

Regardless, the Saints sacked Kaepernick on first down, and Payton again called a timeout with 2:01 remaining, forcing the 49ers to run another play before the two-minute warning. Two plays later, Kaepernick inexplicably ran out of bounds on a third and long, allowing the Saints to keep their last timeout. The 49ers have to punt the ball with 1:48 remaining.

Because of Payton’s clock management and Kaepernick’s mistake, the Saints got the ball back with a 1:41 remaining and one timeout. They probably saved about 30 seconds. I can’t remember the last time I saw a coach use his timeouts as wisely as Payton did.


Too bad he has that scandal on his resume'; might keep him out of the hall of fame. I'd love to see him coach Rodgers and bring out even more potential.
UserPostedImage
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:23:25 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

Canada
Posts: 521
Joined: 9/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 99
Applause Received: 63

I thought it was a great bit of coaching too. I always loved Payton as a coach.

Still don't know how that wasn't a safety though at the end. Refs seemed to not want to decide the game on a penalty.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline DakotaT  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:29:58 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,965
Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 566
Applause Received: 1,190

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla Go to Quoted Post
I thought it was a great bit of coaching too. I always loved Payton as a coach.

Still don't know how that wasn't a safety though at the end. Refs seemed to not want to decide the game on a penalty.


It was a safety, Kaep was not outside the right tackle. Would have been fun to watch Harbaugh explode on that one.
UserPostedImage
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:38:51 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

Canada
Posts: 521
Joined: 9/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 99
Applause Received: 63

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
It was a safety, Kaep was not outside the right tackle. Would have been fun to watch Harbaugh explode on that one.


Seemed weird to not throw the flag after the long delay for the flag on the New Orleans possession prior on the intentional grounding of Brees. I don't think the Saints could have run out the clock on the kick after the safety, but one first down I think would have done it.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline DakotaT  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:17:15 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,965
Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 566
Applause Received: 1,190

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla Go to Quoted Post
Seemed weird to not throw the flag after the long delay for the flag on the New Orleans possession prior on the intentional grounding of Brees. I don't think the Saints could have run out the clock on the kick after the safety, but one first down I think would have done it.


It's not weird, teams get screwed every week in the NFL. Today the correct team one that game in spite of the bad call.
UserPostedImage
Offline sschind  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 8:42:49 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 756
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 78
Applause Received: 312

Originally Posted by: porky88 Go to Quoted Post
He combined an aggressive nature with brilliant clock management. Every coach, including Mike McCarthy, should pay attention to what he did. The Saints ran a draw on third and long to setup Garrett Hartley with a field goal. Instead of letting the clock run to the two-minute warning, Payton took a timeout with 2:11 remaining. During the telecast, Joe Buck questioned the timeout. He would later presume Payton didn’t want Hartley to kick after a long break following the two-minute warning. He was wrong. Payton was saving time in case New Orleans got the ball back.

Hartley made the kick to tie the game with 2:06 remaining. As was accustom throughout the game, the kickoff was a touchback, so no time ran off the clock. San Francisco had to run a play before the two-minute warning. You could argue this was also saving time for the 49ers, but they were going to have at least two minutes and a timeout remaining. Time wasn’t much of a factor in their case.

Regardless, the Saints sacked Kaepernick on first down, and Payton again called a timeout with 2:01 remaining, forcing the 49ers to run another play before the two-minute warning. Two plays later, Kaepernick inexplicably ran out of bounds on a third and long, allowing the Saints to keep their last timeout. The 49ers had to punt the ball with 1:48 remaining.

Because of Payton’s clock management and Kaepernick’s mistake, the Saints got the ball back with a 1:41 remaining and one timeout. They probably saved about 30 seconds. I can’t remember the last time I saw a coach use his timeouts as wisely as Payton did.


I remember a game where the Dolphins were losing by a couple of scores and the team they were playing was moving the ball quite well. At about the 5 minute mark Shula called a TO for no apparent reason. After the next play he called another one. They got the ball back, scored quickly, stopped the other team and scored again to win the game. While 5 minutes out may seem a bit early to be calling TOs to save time it worked for the Dolphins in that game and it worked for Payton today. McCarthy wastes far too much time and he seems to want to hold all his timeouts for the last 20 or 30 seconds for some reason, his clock management skills are one of his weakest attributes if you ask me.

I fully respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
porky88 on 11/17/2013(UTC), TheKanataThrilla on 11/19/2013(UTC)
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.0 | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.252 seconds.