Zero2Cool
12 years ago
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/17/woodsons-words-inscribed-on-super-bowl-ring/ 

UserPostedImage
After the Packers beat the Bears in the NFC Championship, Charles Woodson made a speech to the team that they needed to play with one mind, one goal, one purpose, and one heart for one more game.

Six months later, that phrase was inscribed on the Super Bowl rings we showed you last night.

“It’s a beautiful ring,” Woodson said after the ceremony. “I don’t think they could have made it any more spectacular. Best ring I’ve seen. Not just saying that because it’s our ring.”

For one night, Packers players, coaches and staff forgot all about the lockout.

“It’s all about getting the ring. Every franchise that wins title, it’s all about ring. It seals the deal. We’ll enjoy it tonight. Hopefully we’ll get a settlement,” Woodson said via the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

“The mood in the room is giddy,” Packers president Mark Murphy said. “We all miss the players. To be back together with them was special.”

A trip to the White House is on hold, and will depend on whether the lockout ends in time. For one night, the focus was on the rewards of being champions.

“They wanted big and they wanted bling,” Murphy said. “We were successful in that.”

Gregg Rosenthal wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Charles Woodson speaks on Super Bowl ring 

*I held it back but it was definitely an emotional moment. Proud to be part of this team, proud to be a Green Bay Packers.

*Ring feels heavy. Worked very hard, felt like I deserve to win a championship.

*It’s a beautiful ring. I don’t think they could have made it any more spectacular. Best ring I’ve seen. Not just saying that because it’s our ring.

*What I said to guys after Chicago game in NFC title game is engraved on the ring. “One mind, one goal, one more purpose for one more game.” We had to take care of business one more time.

*It’s all about getting the ring. Every franchise that wins title, it’s all about ring. It seals the deal. We’ll enjoy it tonight. Hopefully we’ll get a settlement.

*No sadness. Everybody here was a part of it. This won’t be same team this coming season, but everybody here tonight was part of title. Whatever happens after this happens.

*The way we prepared last year, brought us a title, this year we’ll prepare even harder.

*Look forward to getting to the White House. That’s another part of the deal.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Packers reunite to receive Super Bowl rings 

GREEN BAY, Wis. - Although the ring was even heavier than Charles Woodson expected, it felt just right on his hand.

Woodson and his Green Bay Packers teammates received their Super Bowl rings in a private ceremony at Lambeau Field on Thursday night, and the veteran cornerback's smile beamed just as brightly as the diamond-encrusted ring he was showing off to the cameras.

"I feel like it's my right to wear this ring," Woodson said. "I feel like I worked very hard playing this game. I feel like every time I go out on that field, I leave it all out there on the field. That's the way I've always played this game. I feel like I deserve to win a championship, I feel like it's my rightful place in history to be a Super Bowl champion."
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

Contact between players and teams generally is prohibited during the ongoing NFL lockout, but the Packers received special permission from the NFL to hold the ceremony.

The Super Bowl was more than four months ago, and the joy-sapping nature of the unresolved labor situation makes it seem even farther in the past. But at least for one night, the memories came rushing back and concerns about the lockout faded away.

"Everybody's been separated too long," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "It's great to see everybody on a personal level. Everybody's anxious to get going on the next journey."

The Packers beat the Pittsburgh Steelers 31-25 to win the Super Bowl on Feb. 6, then held a "Return to Titletown" celebration for fans at Lambeau Field the Tuesday after the game. But they haven't been together as a team since then because of the labor situation, which has forced the cancellation of team-organized offseason conditioning programs and workouts.

While several other teams have held informal player-organized, OTA-style workouts, the Packers haven't done so yet.

"Now, we have this ring, we'll enjoy it tonight," Woodson said. "And hopefully things will get moving along with the NFL and the lockout, and we can start preparing."

McCarthy put on a cowboy hat at one point in the evening — playfully ribbing Packers players who wore cowboy hats to a preseason luncheon last year, subtly but boldly announcing their intention to finish the season at the Super Bowl in North Texas.

"It was definitely everything we expected," McCarthy said of the ceremony. "The players, they were ecstatic about it, the way they were showing each other the ring, the platinum, the diamonds, the design, I think it's something everybody is excited about it."

The actual ceremony Thursday was closed to fans and the media, but Packers players gleefully posted notes and photos from the party on their Twitter accounts. Linebacker Nick Barnett dubbed it "bling bling day!" and posted a photo of a colorful drink he called a "ringtini."

The rings feature a Packers "G" logo with 13 diamonds to symbolize each of the team's championships. Surrounding it are four more diamonds to symbolize its four Super Bowl wins.

"The one thing we knew was they wanted big, and they wanted 'bling,'" Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy said. "So I think we were successful in that."

Woodson said he was most proud that one of his postgame speeches — urging his teammates to play with one mind, one goal, one purpose and one heart — inspired an inscription inside the ring. Still, he managed to keep his emotions in check.

"I held it back," Woodson said. "I cried enough this year, so I held it back. But it was definitely an emotional moment, a moment that I waited a long time for. And finally, it's here. I get to hold up a championship ring."

One piece of a traditional Super Bowl celebration still is missing. The Packers haven't been able to schedule a trip to the White House, and Murphy said the league's labor situation is holding it up.

"That really is kind of tied into getting some resolution on the labor situation," he said. "Players don't get many opportunities to go to the White House and I hope that the timing works out to be able to do that."

Murphy said Thursday's ceremony gave everyone a chance to think about their place in the team's history.

"It was a chance for all of us to come together and really celebrate a remarkable season," Murphy said. "I think a theme that a lot of people talked about was, now, we are part of the history and tradition of the Packers. There's not a team in the league that has more tradition and history than the Packers, and we're now a part of that."

UserPostedImage
Smokey
9 years ago
The first three post in this thread tell a story we can all take to heart . =d>
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (4h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
36m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.