Martha Careful
13 days ago
David Li NBC Sports wrote

Jontay Porter banned from NBA for gambling on games, giving info to bettors and limiting play for betting purposes

There is "nothing more important than protecting the integrity of NBA competition," Commissioner Adam Silver said in a statement.

April 17, 2024, 12:37 PM EDT / Updated April 17, 2024, 3:45 PM EDT

The NBA banned Toronto Raptors forward Jontay Porter for allegedly betting on games, passing on information to gamblers and claiming illness to influence a wager, the league said Wednesday.

The 6-foot-10 power forward and center is the brother of Denver Nuggets sharpshooter Michael Porter Jr. and has spent much of his pro career in the NBA's developmental G League.

The 24-year-old Missouri alum played in 26 games this season for Toronto, averaging 4.4 points and 3.2 rebounds per contest. He also got into 11 games for the Memphis Grizzlies in 2020-21, averaging 2.0 points and 1.3 rebounds.

"There is nothing more important than protecting the integrity of NBA competition for our fans, our teams and everyone associated with our sport, which is why Jontay Porter's blatant violations of our gaming rules are being met with the most severe punishment," NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said in a statement.

The NBA said its investigation found that Porter had engaged in widespread gambling, against league rules.

He allegedly "disclosed confidential information" about his own health status to an individual he knew to be an NBA bettor" ahead of a March 20 game.

Porter claimed to suffer from an illness during the game and only played three minutes, the league said.

An $80,000 online bet was placed ahead of the March 20 game that he would underperform, which would have paid out $1.1 million — though that conspicuously large amount led to the wager being "frozen" and "not paid out," the NBA said.

When Porter was on the Raptors G League affiliate from January to March, he placed at least 13 bets on NBA games using "an associate's online betting account," the league said.

Those wagers ranged from $15 to $22,000 and totaled $54,094, according to the NBA.

None of those bets were on games in which he played, the league said. Three of these bets were parlays — which require multiple correct results — with one calling for a Toronto loss, the league said.

He ended up profiting $21,965 from all of these wagers.

Call me an old fuddy-duddy, but this is what happens when a sport embraces gambling, and the NFL has embraced gambling.

What happens when a 7th round draft pick making league minimum misses a key block, or a big kick...or a punter place kick holder happens to mishandle a perfect snap at the end of a tight contest. OR a bad call happens to sway a game. OR a quarterback pulls a hammy late in the season just before gametime after a playoff spot has been secured, but they had a 1 in 8 chance of getting a higher seed.

Now there will always be questions about motivations....and there are so many ways to hide money flow nowadays, it is easier to get paid off without record.

When you play with fire, you are going to get burned and sports will be, if they have not already, corrupted by gambling....alas ☹.
Go Packers!!!!
Zero2Cool
12 days ago
I don't really care for gambling at all. I also think Pete Rose should be in the MLB Hall of Fame, assuming he bet only on his team to win. The debate I'd levy for that is he was amazing ball player. It's not like he was tanking and losing and was crap player.

The leagues advertising gambling and then suspending guys for gambling just feels weird. It's like your mom smoking and telling you not to.
UserPostedImage
Martha Careful
12 days ago

I also think Pete Rose should be in the MLB Hall of Fame, assuming he bet only on his team to win.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I do not. And I don't think he should be anywhere close to the Hall of Fame.

Your "bet only on his team to win" argument is spurious and flawed.

to wit
It is Game 1 of a 3 game series. And I as manager bet on my team to win. Let us also assume, like most major league teams, I have a few good starters, a mixed bag of relievers and lets a stud closer.

It is the 5th inning and I am up 5-2 and my starter is tired. Normally I bring in an average to below average guy to relieve, ,saving my better guys for closer games and set-up for the closers. HOWEVER, SINCE I BET MY TEAM TO WIN, I bring in my second best reliever, a set-up guy. I will us him for two innings, when normally he is my 7th inning guy (i.e. one inning so he can pitch the next day if needed) Then, in the 7th, I will use the guy I normally use in the 8th for an inning +. If he falters, I will bring my closer to pitch 2 innings if needed because I really want to win THIS game. Then, if somehow the other team ties the game, and we go into extra innings, I am not putting reliever number 3 in....I am warming up a starter to get a win.

Further, if it is mid /late season, when I may give a veteran position player a rest, I will not....my $$$ are on the line.

Does it screw up my bullpen for the next two games,...of course, but I really don't care!!! As a betting manager, I don't care about all 162 games evenly...I disproportionately care about the games upon which I wager.

THIS BEHAVIOR RUINS THE INTEGRETY OF THE GAME.

Go Packers!!!!
Zero2Cool
12 days ago

I do not. And I don't think he should be anywhere close to the Hall of Fame.

Your "bet only on his team to win" argument is spurious and flawed.

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

I don't dispute this. I haven't put much thought into Pete Rose at all.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (4m) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (23h) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

53m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.