Discussion Board
Martha Careful
2022-06-25T16:28:13Z
Freddie Boston wrote
Quote:

Packers 2022 roster preview: Allen Lazard the WR1?
by Freddie Boston

Davante Adams’ departure leaves the Green Bay Packers without a clear WR1.

Enter Allen Lazard?

Lazard has been a reliable target for Aaron Rodgers in recent years and has stepped up in the past when Adams has missed time.

Can Lazard take that next step to WR1?

2021 stats
Lazard played in 15 games with 13 starts in the regular season. He caught 40 passes for 513 yards and eight touchdowns, setting career-bests in each category.

2021 season review
With Marquez Valdes-Scantling missing six games due to injury, Lazard stepped up as the Packers’ number two wide receiver behind Adams.

Lazard finished third in receptions for the Packers, second in receiving yards, and second in receiving touchdowns.

Lazard finished the season strong, catching 23 passes for 303 yards and five touchdowns over the final six games.
What to expect in 2022
Under Matt LaFleur, Lazard has been an excellent complementary receiver. Not only is he a reliable pass-catcher with Aaron Rodgers’ trust, but he is also one of the top blocking receivers in the game.

Rodgers had high praise for Lazard this month and believes he is ready to become the team’s No. 1 wide receiver.

Aaron Rodgers on Allen Lazard: “He’s been our dirty work guy for most of his career here. Now he’s getting an opportunity to be a No. 1 receiver. I’m not worried about him at all stepping into that role.”

He certainly has the opportunity.
Lazard has stepped up in Adams’ absence in previous years (six catches for 146 yards and a touchdown vs. New Orleans comes to mind). He understands the offense, has Rodgers’ trust, and is currently the top candidate to lead the wide receiver room in 2022.

Entering a contract year, this is a fantastic opportunity for Lazard

Can someone explain to me why there has to be a WR1 receiver? I think most great teams mix it up and on any given play or situation, there is no Number 1...especially without an Adams, Cupp, etc. Is it a ego thing? I think its dumb...like saying "XXXX is our number 1 offensive linemen." The designation is superfluous.

ALL RECEIVERS SHOULD BE CAPABLE OF GETTING OPEN, CATCHING THE BALL, AND BLOCKING. So why does the "Number 1" matter?

It seems to me that you should design plays/schemes where you believe certain players are likely to be open, but that by trying to force throws into "the guy", as doing so makes the offense become more predictable and stoppable. I believe this was a major issue for the Packers offense in big games over the last few years...stop Adams, stop the Packers.

I think the team's mentality should be to design plays which could get different guys open, but NOT in proportion to their 'ranking'. AR12 should throw it to the open guy and not worry about who the Number 1,2,or 3 is.

MC
nerdmann
2022-06-25T17:19:55Z
Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

Freddie Boston wrote
Can someone explain to me why there has to be a WR1 receiver? I think most great teams mix it up and on any given play or situation, there is no Number 1...especially without an Adams, Cupp, etc. Is it a ego thing? I think its dumb...like saying "XXXX is our number 1 offensive linemen." The designation is superfluous.

ALL RECEIVERS SHOULD BE CAPABLE OF GETTING OPEN, CATCHING THE BALL, AND BLOCKING. So why does the "Number 1" matter?

It seems to me that you should design plays/schemes where you believe certain players are likely to be open, but that by trying to force throws into "the guy", as doing so makes the offense become more predictable and stoppable. I believe this was a major issue for the Packers offense in big games over the last few years...stop Adams, stop the Packers.

I think the team's mentality should be to design plays which could get different guys open, but NOT in proportion to their 'ranking'. AR12 should throw it to the open guy and not worry about who the Number 1,2,or 3 is.

MC

Aaron needs to know what open guys to ignore and who to force it to in triple coverage.

Honestly I think Sammy Watkins might be that guy, if he can get in sync with Aaron. Lazard will get his chance, but iirc Sammy was #4 overall draft pick. Dude's got some skills.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Cheesey
2022-06-25T19:32:48Z
I think it's more who is the number one read on any given play. The #1 receiver is the guy that is the most dependable at getting open and rarely drops the ball. That was Adams. And even when he didn't seem to be open, he only put his hands up at the last possible second, as to not alert the DB that the ball was on it's way.
Numbering the WRs to me is just that, numbers.
Like was already said, any guy on any play should be able to get open and make the play.
If our current group if guys can gain ARs trust, then we should have one heck of a offense.
UserPostedImage
Martha Careful
2022-06-25T21:53:20Z
Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I think it's more who is the number one read on any given play.

If that is the case, we have poor play design, providing the defense with a huge scouting and game planning advantage.

Cheesey
2022-06-26T03:37:02Z

If that is the case, we have poor play design, providing the defense with a huge scouting and game planning advantage.

Just because a play is drawn up with a certain WR as the #1 look, that doesn't mean the ball will go to that guy. There are reads on each play. If the guy that's the #1 read is not open, the QB makes his reads to see if someone else gets open.
That goes on in every play
Designed to one guy, if he's covered, you go to the next guy and so on.
UserPostedImage
dyeah_gb
2022-06-26T14:00:26Z
Alot of times, it is up to the defense to determine who is the #1. The top DB has to line up against somebody in a man defense. A top WR will often draw double teams that should lead to other receivers being open provided they are not as slow as dirt and can run the route correctly. Having multiple solid wide receivers would be great though. It will always force the defense into some tough situations that can be exploited provided the QB has the time and is not locked in on one player. Alternatively, a well defined #1 is bad when the QB chokes and tries to force a pass in the final seconds of a playoff game when other receivers are wide open.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
nerdmann
2022-06-26T16:28:26Z
Watson and Doubs should be the primary targets when Love is ready to take over. Maybe Lazard, depending upon what he shows.

Hopefully Love will hit the open guy.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Martha Careful
2022-06-26T18:59:26Z
Originally Posted by: dyeah_gb 

Alot of times, it is up to the defense to determine who is the #1. The top DB has to line up against somebody in a man defense. A top WR will often draw double teams that should lead to other receivers being open provided they are not as slow as dirt and can run the route correctly. Having multiple solid wide receivers would be great though. It will always force the defense into some tough situations that can be exploited provided the QB has the time and is not locked in on one player. Alternatively, a well defined #1 is bad when the QB chokes and tries to force a pass in the final seconds of a playoff game when other receivers are wide open.

So if you would not feel the need to double any of our guys, then we don't have a number one....which is fine with me.

Run the offense and hit the open guy.

Cheesey
2022-06-26T20:39:51Z
If you don't have a guy that the defense feels they need to double cover, that makes it easier for the defense to take away your passing game.
A WR that is considered better then the others takes away a defender and makes it easier for the other WRs to get open.

The problem the Packers had the last few years was Rodgers passing up the open guys and still trying to hit a double or triple covered Adams, when he should have been looking elsewhere.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2022-07-05T13:47:10Z

So if you would not feel the need to double any of our guys, then we don't have a number one....which is fine with me.

Run the offense and hit the open guy.

Yep. I'd rather have three WR2 than a single WR1 and two WR4. If defense knows where ball is going, might be a challenge. But then again, beat your man.
UserPostedImage
dyeah_gb
2022-07-06T03:06:16Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yep. I'd rather have three WR2 than a single WR1 and two WR4. I'd defense knows where ball is going, might be a challenge. But then again, beat your man.

Agreed provided the opposing D is unsuccessful in single man or basic zone coverage. Things can get ugly really quick otherwise.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Zero2Cool
2022-07-06T12:19:43Z
Originally Posted by: dyeah_gb 

Agreed provided the opposing D is unsuccessful in single man or basic zone coverage. Things can get ugly really quick otherwise.

Definitely. Although, if you can't beat the man across from you, go play in the USFL!! hahaha
UserPostedImage
Martha Careful
2022-07-06T13:01:58Z
dyeah_gb posted
Quote:

I had always thought in play design and game planning, some of the patterns and plays were set up to provide an increased likelihood of getting open, like picks, rub, and other combination routes.

If the game plan is simply to have receivers go out to try to win one on one matchups, that is poor coaching IMHO.

Mr. Cool said
Quote:

Yep. I'd rather have three WR2 than a single WR1 and two WR4.

which I totally agree with. But, I DON'T want the defense to know where the ball is going. If the defense believes any receiver could be a threat, then the likelihood that other receivers get open in enhanced.
earthquake
2022-07-06T13:44:57Z
I generally agree with what has been said, especially the point about the defense knowing where the ball is going. But I think something that may be getting overlooked is how much a defense shifts coverage to a guy like Davante Adams. Generally, he's going to get the opposing team's best corner and a safety over the top, with maybe a 3rd guy in his vicinity on some plays. This opens up routes and opportunities for everyone else, including the run game.

If Randall Cobb, Sammy Watkins, and Allen Lazard are out there, does the defense have to key in on any of those guys? I'm not sure. Possibly Watkins if he's healthy and hasn't lost a step. Cobb is more of a possession guy at this point in his career. Maybe Lazard steps up with increased opportunities.

It's possible that Christain Watkins is or will eventually develop into the sort of guy that the defense feels like they need to take away. I wouldn't bet on this happening right away but I also wouldn't be surprised if he solidifies himself as the #1 by the end of the season.
blank
Zero2Cool
2022-07-06T14:18:27Z
Originally Posted by: earthquake 

I generally agree with what has been said, especially the point about the defense knowing where the ball is going. But I think something that may be getting overlooked is how much a defense shifts coverage to a guy like Davante Adams. Generally, he's going to get the opposing team's best corner and a safety over the top, with maybe a 3rd guy in his vicinity on some plays. This opens up routes and opportunities for everyone else, including the run game.

I like what you say, but wanted to just add this as a little nugget. Bill Belichick and few other coaches have said they put CB2 on WR1 with Safety help over the top and then CB1 shuts down WR2. Of course, I believe this all depends on how good that WR2 is because if your WR2 is like Jeff Janis, you're not gonna deploy this tactic, lol.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
2022-07-06T18:49:17Z
Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Watson and Doubs should be the primary targets when Love is ready to take over. Maybe Lazard, depending upon what he shows.

Hopefully, Love will hit the open guy.

I keep reading how we should trade for another WR or we should trade Love and you hit something I have been thinking about. Let Watkins Lazard and Cobb run first-team offense and then you have Watson Dobbs and Rodgers running with Love. That second group is our future and I believe it will start next year as Rodgers will retire after this year and leave us with $65 million in dead cap, but if that happens you already have your young core developing together. I'm actually more excited about life after Rodgers than I am with Rodgers playing this year. We will see a drop in his production and all the Rodger lovers will have excuses for him like always, he didn't have recievers his line sucked blah blah blah. (in my mind an elite qb makes his players better and they don't depend on the others to make him look good which has happened to Rodgers.)

But also if we waste draft capital on trading for a wide out who do we cut? Cobb - not a chance Rodgers would take his ball and go home, Watkins nope not happening that was their big signing for Rodgers, Lazard, maybe Rodgers, not Watson or Dobbs, so who would it be then?

But back to a #1 wr actually hurt Rodgers and Favre in crunch time when it was Rodgers and Adams and Favre and Sharpe because no matter what they would force the ball to them and miss wide-open guys. So if Rodgers can bench his ego and just follow the game plan he has a chance to put up big numbers, because a defense can't concentrate on one guy.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂
earthquake
2022-07-06T22:05:14Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I like what you say, but wanted to just add this as a little nugget. Bill Belichick and few other coaches have said they put CB2 on WR1 with Safety help over the top and then CB1 shuts down WR2. Of course, I believe this all depends on how good that WR2 is because if your WR2 is like Jeff Janis, you're not gonna deploy this tactic, lol.

Yeah, that makes sense. It probably depends on how good your CB2 is too. Are we talking Eric Stokes, Kevin King, or LaDarious Gunter?
blank
nerdmann
2022-07-10T19:08:18Z

nerdmann
2022-07-18T18:55:06Z
Sammy is primed.

nerdmann
2022-07-18T18:55:51Z
Sammy is primed.

bboystyle
2022-07-19T14:50:27Z
Only in Green Bay you can lose your best WR and your offense will be better.

Dont be surprise how lack luster our passing game will be this season.
blank