Discussion Board
Zero2Cool
2021-07-28T20:39:59Z
The #Packers are trading a 2022 sixth-round pick to the #Texans for WR Randall Cobb, source said. Houston is also expected to pay $3 million of Cobb’s salary to facilitate the deal. Aaron Rodgers gets his man.

You know, the 6th round pick as compensation, ... that sounds familiar. I'm having a good "right" day. I'm guessing tomorrow is going to suck mutated monkey balls. I might stay in bed.

Some Tweeter account with a blue check said they didn't expect Randall Cobb to make the Texans roster and they fleeced the Packers into paying over $5 million of Cobb's contract.

IG: JosinaAnderson @JosinaAnderson --- Texts from Randall Cobb just now to me before taking off: "Just boarded my flight." "Yeah headed back!" "I'm still in shock! But motivated and excited to rock in (GB) again. Wheels up."

I like how excited Cobb is.
UserPostedImage
beast
2021-07-28T21:07:04Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Some Tweeter account with a blue check said they didn't expect Randall Cobb to make the Texans roster and they fleeced the Packers into paying over $5 million of Cobb's contract.

I believe they're uninformed... as while I can't go check the old deal anymore since Spotrac has already undated to the new contract details.

I believe the Texans contract called for Cobb to receive $8.5 million in 2021 with about $8 million of it being guaranteed upon signing. There is no way the Texans release Cobb to save 0.5 million, especially when it would take more than that to sign someone else, so the Texans would of taken a net loss by releasing Cobb. So the Texans had to keep him or trade him.

IG: JosinaAnderson @JosinaAnderson --- Texts from Randall Cobb just now to me before taking off: "Just boarded my flight." "Yeah headed back!" "I'm still in shock! But motivated and excited to rock in (GB) again. Wheels up."

I like how excited Cobb is.

WR Rodgers father Tee Martin (who had a great college career at QB), was coaching WRs at Kentucky when Randall Cobb came through, and WR Rodgers said Cobb treated him like a brother and they have kept in touch over the years.

Martin is now the Ravens WR coach, but WR Rodgers and Cobb are now going to get to be on the same team and probably going to be used in the same way and so WR Rodgers will probably learning directly from Cobb to a degree.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2021-07-28T21:16:05Z
Pulling this quote over from the bares helped GB get Cobb thread.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

What does he cost? In salary and trade capital.

In the long run if it makes QB1 happy perhaps he will be more productive. If it's possible. Maybe more productive in the big games. If so he's worth a 6th round pick. ;)

I had not heard the details. Last I had heard was speculation along the lines of a 4th or 5th. That seemed like way too much to me. I am very pleased that Houston is paying part of the salary and only nets a 6th.
"Well, they might kill you, but they won’t eat you." Uncle Teddy
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2021-07-28T21:32:48Z
A few tweets as word got out regarding the trade:

Cheesey
2021-07-28T21:38:34Z
It seems Cobb is really motivated! And a motivated player could be a great player.
That’s how I see it, at least.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2021-07-28T21:41:44Z
It isn't about Cobb but the tweet came up after the Cobb "I'm coming home" tweet went out.

Crabtree has this one at the top of his twitter account. Gotta say I love it.

KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2021-07-28T22:13:00Z
If it is only a sixth rounder and Houston pays 3mm, that is an excellent deal for the Packers.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
dfosterf
2021-07-28T22:33:17Z
Yep.

My bet is that Aaron Rodgers will make it his personal business to show the world the value of chemistry between qb's and wr's.
This is a combo far more valuable-in so many ways- than we can possibly discern off mere statistics and/ or history.

Watch. This shit is going to amaze us all.

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.
Zero2Cool
2021-07-29T02:18:33Z
This is official. Packers only had to give up a sixth-round pick and got the Texans to eat $3 million of his salary. I’m told the cap hit on the Packers will be slightly under $3 million.
From Rob demovsky
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2021-07-29T13:36:25Z
Packers GM Brian Gutekunst says Randall Cobb is still a good player, but makes clear his return via trade is for Aaron Rodgers: "I don't think without Aaron we would be perusing this. ... This is a very important thing for Aaron, so that's why we did it."
UserPostedImage
beast
2021-07-29T14:59:14Z

Packers GM Brian Gutekunst says Randall Cobb is still a good player, but makes clear his return via trade is for Aaron Rodgers: "I don't think without Aaron we would be perusing this. ... This is a very important thing for Aaron, so that's why we did it."

Yeah, normally Gute wouldn't want to block a young guys growth and I'm sure he was hoping the 3rd rounder WR Rodgers would be filling the role Cobb is going to play.

I feel like Gute was trying to go all in, over the next couple of years until 2023, but now his plan is changing going all in now this year as we don't know we're going to have Rodgers, Adams and others back or not...
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
2021-07-29T15:31:56Z

I don’t see the point in basically saying “we don’t want Randall but Aaron does so we did it”.... that sends a horrible message to Cobb, to Rodgers, and the rest of the team. And it makes himself look bad. I just don’t get it. Keep that part quiet, damn. Maybe he’s just pissed that Rodgers told so many details about the off-season.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2021-07-29T15:34:20Z
Originally Posted by: beast 

Yeah, normally Gute wouldn't want to block a young guys growth and I'm sure he was hoping the 3rd rounder WR Rodgers would be filling the role Cobb is going to play.

I feel like Gute was trying to go all in, over the next couple of years until 2023, but now his plan is changing going all in now this year as we don't know we're going to have Rodgers, Adams and others back or not...

I agree with you. This is the time to go for the SB.
So 5 mill to get Cobb to make Rodgers happy is a low price.
Of course, if they don’t win it all, it’s going to look like a waste.
I hope they do win it all.
UserPostedImage
beast
2021-07-29T15:40:02Z
Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

I don’t see the point in basically saying “we don’t want Randall but Aaron does so we did it”.... that sends a horrible message to Cobb, to Rodgers, and the rest of the team. And it makes himself look bad. I just don’t get it. Keep that part quiet, damn. Maybe he’s just pissed that Rodgers told so many details about the off-season.

I think it make Gute look great... basically saying we have a failed relationship here, and we're actively working hard to improve the relationship. We're not ignoring the problem, but trying to fix it, and Rodgers is getting something he wants. We're listening and improving.

Also fans complain when the team says nothing (see Ted era), and then fans compare when they're open and honest (see Gute era)...

I agree that it's not a great message to Cobb, but hey, Cobb, do you want to be with the rebuilding Texans or the playoff bound Packers? Packers? Congratulations, we thought so and are giving you $5+ million and a 6th round pick for you! He's gett his same pay and higher chance of going into the playoffs.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2021-07-29T15:51:33Z

Maybe it's self-handicapping? If Randall Cobb flops, we all know it was a move sparked by Aaron Rodgers. If Randall Cobb success, he looks good for trying to make his QB happy and showing humility. I feel his wording today put him in a win-win.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
2021-07-29T23:16:24Z

Maybe it's self-handicapping? If Randall Cobb flops, we all know it was a move sparked by Aaron Rodgers. If Randall Cobb success, he looks good for trying to make his QB happy and showing humility. I feel his wording today put him in a win-win.

I think if Cobb is a success, it makes him look bad for being against the move.
UserPostedImage
beast
2021-07-29T23:40:15Z

I think if Cobb is a success, it makes him look bad for being against the move.

Yeah, but actions speak louder than words and he pulled the trigger! That overrides everything else...

And kind of hard to say he's against it, when he's the only one with power to pull the trigger and he decided to pull the trigger. It's not his optimal preference, but he was for it enough that he pulled the trigger, and again, the actions speak louder than words.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
2021-07-30T00:04:13Z

Yeah, but actions speak louder than words and he pulled the trigger! That overrides everything else...

And kind of hard to say he's against it, when he's the only one with power to pull the trigger and he decided to pull the trigger. It's not his optimal preference, but he was for it enough that he pulled the trigger, and again, the actions speak louder than words.

I guess that’s true. But it does put Rodgers in an “I told you so” position.

UserPostedImage
beast
2021-07-30T00:08:05Z

I guess that’s true. But it does put Rodgers in an “I told you so” position.

And if Rodgers gets that chance to say it, then they all win, as Cobb was successful on the team, making it worth it for all Packers involved.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2021-07-30T03:31:04Z

And if Rodgers gets that chance to say it, then they all win, as Cobb was successful on the team, making it worth it for all Packers involved.

Of course then we will lose Aaron Rodgers at the end of this coming season, as if he’s right, Cobb does great and they win it all, then Rodgers HAS to go, as they won’t have a helmet big enough to fit his head!
😋😂
UserPostedImage