Discussion Board
Zero2Cool
2021-01-14T14:00:01Z
ESPN wrote:

How the Rams can beat the Packers
1. Run the ball with efficiency out of 12 and 11 personnel
Rookie running back Cam Akers looked like a veteran in the wild-card win over the Seahawks, rushing for 131 yards and a score on 28 carries. That's good volume for a back with second-level juice. And I believe the Rams will be even more run-heavy in this matchup.

Look for coach Sean McVay to mix his personnel with one- and two-tight end sets, using inside/outside zone and gap schemes. Behind an offensive line that can create movement off the ball, that will open clean lanes for Akers to get up on the Packers' linebackers versus both base and sub-package fronts. And with that run-game efficiency, McVay can set up quarterback Jared Goff with clean platform throws off play-action against the Packers' zone coverages.

2. Close the throwing windows to Packers WR Davante Adams

We know defensive coordinator Brandon Staley's defense will scheme pressure and pass-rush one-on-ones for Aaron Donald and Leonard Floyd out of multiple fronts, getting some heat on Aaron Rodgers in the pocket. But let's not forget about the zone coverages in Staley's system and the elements that cater to star cornerback Jalen Ramsey. The Rams led the NFL during the regular season in Quarters coverage snaps (19.0%), and they also played a bunch of Cover 3 (25.4%). Expect to see a lot of both on Saturday, with the safeties cutting the crossers to Adams from an inside Quarters alignment or as a "robber" in three-deep.

When Adams does align as the boundary X receiver to the backside of 3x1 sets, the Rams will play Quarters "lock," which puts Ramsey in a man-technique situation against him. Winning the man matchup there frees your zone safety to go look for work. And don't be surprised if Ramsey gets some nickel reps this week, matching in quarters when Adams aligns inside.

How the Packers can beat the Rams
1. Move the pocket with Rodgers

In addition to varying the alignments for Adams -- both outside the numbers and in the slot -- I would really focus on moving the pocket for Rodgers against the Rams' defensive front. Yes, Rodgers will still throw quick-game passes, and the Packers can still scheme verticals on defined concepts in coach Matt LaFleur's system. Plus, Rodgers will take the one-on-ones when they are there.

But with boot and play-action (off pre-snap misdirection), the Packers can force the L.A. defensive front to work parallel to the line of scrimmage. And that gets Rodgers to the edge, where he has completed 82.9% of his passes and posted a QBR of 98.3 on designed rollouts this season. Give me boot flood and boot cross against the Rams' staple coverages.

2. Make Goff play outside of structure

I see Goff as a programmed thrower in McVay's system, in both play-action and dropback situations. By that, I mean timing throws with scripted voids to attack. When Goff has to go outside of the play structure, he can struggle. And because of that, I would bring some simulated pressure at Goff on Saturday and use interior stunts.

The idea is to muddy up the pocket and force him to reset his throwing window while also disrupting the timing of the process. Get bodies at his feet, with second-level defenders playing to depth in the Packers' split-safety zone schemes. You can't give Goff time -- or second-level windows -- to throw the in-breakers.

Continue Reading @ ESPN 

What do you think about this?
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2021-01-14T15:54:01Z
I think it’s a decent analysis.

To me, if the Packers can get the run game going, that would help a lot. And having Rodgers move around also will help. Also, getting others involved in the passing game, taking pressure away from Adams is important. If they shut down Adams, and no one else steps up, that would be big trouble.
If MVS can get open downfield, he better catch the ball.

The Rams-we can’t allow their running game to get going.
And I’m pretty sure Goff will be QB. So you need to pressure the heck out of him. You can’t let him get on track.
And if our DBs get a chance to get an INT, catch the ball!
UserPostedImage
rabidgopher04
2021-01-15T05:42:47Z
It strikes me that this is much like the Titans game. Packers should be able to handle the Rams.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
Zero2Cool
2021-01-15T13:02:26Z
Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 

It strikes me that this is much like the Titans game. Packers should be able to handle the Rams.

I've been reading a lot about the Rams D vs Packers O and honestly, I think it's going to be the Rams O vs Packers D that is going to have more impact on this game. If the Packers can stuff the run and make Jared Goff try to beat them -- it should be a slobber knocker.

I know folks are worried about the Packers special teams. Guess who's worse? The Rams! lol. Packers were ranked 29th, Rams 30th.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2021-01-15T15:49:15Z
I hope that the Packers don’t make the mistake of taking the Rams lightly. Or it could blow up in their faces.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2021-01-15T16:03:30Z
Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I hope that the Packers don’t make the mistake of taking the Rams lightly. Or it could blow up in their faces.

I'm not sure it is possible to take a team lightly that has Aaron Donald and had the least amount of points scored against them. If you take that team lightly, you don't deserve the paycheck.

I'm more worried that the Packers play tight. They have everything to lose and Rams have nothing to lose.
UserPostedImage
Users browsing this topic
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Aaron Rodgers: No reason I wouldn’t be back, but no absolutes
Mucky Tundra (11h) : that said i'll probably remember that one when arguing with people about Rodgers
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Getting really tired of hearing those type of factoids in connection when the Packers lose
Zero2Cool (14h) : @NFLonCBS Aaron Rodgers is the only QB in NFL history to have 3 playoff losses in games where he threw 3+ Pass TD.
Zero2Cool (25-Jan) : During his post game, he even said he understood it.
Zero2Cool (25-Jan) : I don't think Rodgers was against the FG, he just wasn't aware that was the plan. Huge difference there. Understand it, please.
nerdmann (25-Jan) : Taking the FG is proof that Matt is smarter than Aaron.
Zero2Cool (25-Jan) : "The funny stuff that happens every day that half of it you can't share, and the other half of it you don't want to. That's what I'm going to remember."
Zero2Cool (25-Jan) : Corey Linsley on what he'll remember from the 2020 #Packers season: "The funny stuff that happens every day that half of it you can't share, and the other half of it you don't want to. That's what I'm
Zero2Cool (25-Jan) : Reading the comments from all over is disheartening how ungrateful the squeaky wheel fan base is.
yooperfan (25-Jan) : Oh believe me I was Cheesey
Cheesey (25-Jan) : A warden?!? I hope you were on the right side of the bars, Yoop!😂🤪😂
yooperfan (25-Jan) : If I was Rodgers I would retire. I retired 15 years ago because we had a warden who didn’t know how to run a prison and couldn’t tell the truth.
nerdmann (25-Jan) : Kevin King is like Burt Favor. Untrustworthy. Kevin is paying back gambling debts, Burt Favor was blackmailed for his texting habits.
nerdmann (25-Jan) : I'd be shocked if Aaron completed a pass from goal to go in a big game. Or ran it in with a wide open field.
Zero2Cool (25-Jan) : I wouldn't be shocked if Aaron Rodgers retires.
Zero2Cool (25-Jan) : That's a coincidence, not irony, lol. Packers always picking late in the round. Gooder drafting is needed though.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Jan) : The same position when the traded down to 33 to draft Kevin King. Irony.
Mucky Tundra (25-Jan) : Packers will pick at the #29 position in the NFL draft
Zero2Cool (25-Jan) : “I sure as hell hope so,” LaFleur said when asked if he thought Rodgers would be back in green and gold in 2021. “The guy’s the MVP of this league. He is the heart and soul of our football team, so he
Zero2Cool (25-Jan) : NFL MVP won't be winning Super Bowl, again. Annoying.
Mucky Tundra (25-Jan) : and I dont think Josh Allen is gonna get it done against Brady
Mucky Tundra (25-Jan) : I'm rooting for KC cuz I can't stomach Tampa Bay after that game
Cheesey (25-Jan) : So many chances, so many screw ups. KING
Cheesey (25-Jan) : Now I don’t care who wins the SB.
Mucky Tundra (25-Jan) : whatever problems KC had midseason seem to be gone now
Mucky Tundra (25-Jan) : oh man TJ Lang from the top rope on Bostick
Mucky Tundra (25-Jan) : @TJLang70 Nah I think they all actually tried to do their job.
Mucky Tundra (25-Jan) : @Bostick11 They Still Gonna Blame Me...
Mucky Tundra (24-Jan) : i just want to sit here for the rest of the day and not do anything but that's counterproductive
Zero2Cool (24-Jan) : 😥😥😥
Zero2Cool (24-Jan) : @RobDemovsky This is the 2011 playoffs all over again. JPP causing havoc. Hail Mary to end the half.
Zero2Cool (24-Jan) : Let's fucking go!!!
Tezzy (24-Jan) : Go Pack Go!
Mucky Tundra (24-Jan) : i guess they had the tarp down or the photos were old ones because I'm not seeing any snow on the field now
Cheesey (24-Jan) : I’m a nervous wreck right now.
Mucky Tundra (24-Jan) : Just looked at the Packers facebook page; a nice little layer of snow on the ground
nerdmann (24-Jan) : They released Dexter Williams from the PS this week.
Zero2Cool (24-Jan) : Kevin King is active. Tramon Williams is active. Inactive: Kingsley Keke, Jordan Love, Jonathan Garvin, Jace Sternberger, Josh Jackson, Vernon Scott, Ka’dar Hollman
Zero2Cool (24-Jan) : As eagle-eyed @mattschneidman noticed, Kevin King is going through a warm-up on the field. There's no trainer by him, for what it's worth - only Jaire Alexander, with King working on press coverage
nerdmann (24-Jan) : Run it up the gut. See what Vea's got.
Zero2Cool (24-Jan) : amesPalmerTV confirmed Arians plan for Vita Vea today is 20 to 25 snaps...
Zero2Cool (24-Jan) : Not looking good for Winfield Jr per what was just said.
Cheesey (24-Jan) : Keep the flag flying, Yoop!!!😁
Zero2Cool (24-Jan) : Green Bay is 15-1 in their last 16 games at home against Tampa Bay.
Zero2Cool (24-Jan) : Geez. Rodgers has less wins more losses than Brady when sub 40°
buckeyepackfan (24-Jan) : GAME DAY! GO! PACK! GO!
Zero2Cool (24-Jan) : It's snowing here, but we only have few inches so far, nothing major.
yooperfan (24-Jan) : Snowing like crazy here in Ishpeming. I’m wishing for snow 150 miles south of here. GO PACK GO!!!
Zero2Cool (24-Jan) : 27° with 8 mph wind currently.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2020 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 13 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Sep 20 @ 12:00 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Sep 27 @ 7:20 PM
Saints
Monday, Oct 5 @ 8:00 PM
FALCONS
Sunday, Oct 18 @ 3:25 PM
Buccaneers
Sunday, Oct 25 @ 12:00 PM
Texans
Sunday, Nov 1 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Thursday, Nov 5 @ 7:20 PM
49ers
Sunday, Nov 15 @ 12:00 PM
JAGUARS
Sunday, Nov 22 @ 3:25 PM
Colts
Sunday, Nov 29 @ 7:20 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Dec 6 @ 3:25 PM
EAGLES
Sunday, Dec 13 @ 3:25 PM
Lions
Saturday, Dec 19 @ 7:15 PM
PANTHERS
Sunday, Dec 27 @ 7:20 PM
TITANS
Sunday, Jan 3 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / all_about_da_packers

25-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

25-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

24-Jan / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

24-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

24-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

24-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2021 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.