Discussion Board
nerdmann
2020-10-19T01:40:48Z
We're still just as good of a team as we have been. But we gotta increase our security. Self scout. Find the tell. Disguise better.

I though EQ blew it twice. Had a couple opportunities. Maybe he'll get in the flow.

MVS isn't good for much.

Wagner looked decent at LT. I feel like we've gut guys we can plug in there. More depth than in the previous decade or so.

30 was playing very well. Seemed like they were keying on 33.

Pettine needs to prove himself imo. Get it done dude.

Didn't seem like a lot of play action today. Except for that Jet sweep stuff. What about some traps, Matt? Give em an enema draw. Too much pressure on Aaron.

Aaron is one of those guys teams are usually afriad to blitz.
go.pack.go.
2020-10-19T02:13:21Z
Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

We're still just as good of a team as we have been. But we gotta increase our security. Self scout. Find the tell. Disguise better.

I though EQ blew it twice. Had a couple opportunities. Maybe he'll get in the flow.

MVS isn't good for much.

Wagner looked decent at LT. I feel like we've gut guys we can plug in there. More depth than in the previous decade or so.

30 was playing very well. Seemed like they were keying on 33.

Didn't seem like a lot of play action today. Except for that Jet sweep stuff. What about some traps, Matt? Give em an enema draw. Too much pressure on Aaron.

Aaron is one of those guys teams are usually afriad to blitz.

We must’ve been watching two different games. I don’t think Wagner could’ve blocked me. I surely hope they plan on bringing back 69 next year. And I surely hope his injury isn’t serious.
beast
2020-10-19T04:12:28Z
I was just looking at the standings and the Bears past the Packers due to the Packers loss to the Bucs...

But honestly, the 5th seed (where the Packers would currently be) this year might have an easier playoff road than the 2nd seed (where the Bears currently are)...

Because now 7 teams from each conference make it in... meaning the 7th seed plays the 2nd seed .... so the Bears would have a home game against the Saints or Cardinals (depending on if the Saints or Cardinals won)...

But the 5th seed would have a road game against the 4th seed, ie the worst division winning, or whomever wins the NFC East, currently nthe Cowboys... and then if the Packers win, then face the Seahawks or Bears.... as long as the Seahawks don't have their fans back by then, I might prefer that playoff route.

Packers should beat the Cowboys whom are missing their starting OTs for the year and don't have much of a defense...

Then Seahawks offense, especially their passing game is unstoppable, but their defense kinda sucks a lot too... Leading to a great shootout, or facing the Bears which will be a lower scoring game, but if the Packers are healthy, should be able to win.
Cheesey
2020-10-19T04:27:13Z
Too early for seedlings. Things can and will change before the season is over.
But we sure looked like we did last year against the 49ers.
In other words, awful.
Beat the crappy teams, get blown out by decent teams.
all_about_da_packers
2020-10-19T07:14:38Z
Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Too early for seedlings. Things can and will change before the season is over.
But we sure looked like we did last year against the 49ers.
In other words, awful.
Beat the crappy teams, get blown out by decent teams.

Here's why it was different from the 49ers last year: the Packers played a decent 1st Q, had the lead and looked dangerous -- all this despite the formations and blocking being subpar from the start (recall the first pass of the game was almost picked off because Bob Tonyan had a pathetic block against the CB on the quick-WR pass).

This game came down to clear effort and fundamentals; other than the speed of the Bucs D, I didn't come away in any sense feeling the Bucs are 100% more talented than us. With the 49ers, we looked liked kids vs. a bunch of adults from the start and it was clear the talent gap was there.

Outcome may be the same, but the reason for it is different; this year's team is still looks to have the talent to contend - assuming they bother to show up.
Mucky Tundra
2020-10-19T08:10:07Z
Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

Here's why it was different from the 49ers last year: the Packers played a decent 1st Q, had the lead and looked dangerous -- all this despite the formations and blocking being subpar from the start (recall the first pass of the game was almost picked off because Bob Tonyan had a pathetic block against the CB on the quick-WR pass).

This game came down to clear effort and fundamentals; other than the speed of the Bucs D, I didn't come away in any sense feeling the Bucs are 100% more talented than us. With the 49ers, we looked liked kids vs. a bunch of adults from the start and it was clear the talent gap was there.

Outcome may be the same, but the reason for it is different; this year's team is still looks to have the talent to contend - assuming they bother to show up.

I got the same vibe from the game. The Bucs came in the game as one of the most penalized teams in NFL and came out of this game with 0 penalties. How often does Rodgers throw 2 INTs in a game? Let alone on back to back drives? The Bucs were sharp no doubt but it feels like everything bounced their way this game as opposed to being outclassed. The only thing that really worries me is that they had a number of near picks in the first half and seemed to know where to go before our guys did.
Smokey
2020-10-19T08:50:10Z
I too got excited when the Pack opened with a 10 point lead. No one went overboard with celebrations and GB appeared to working at a steady pace.

Lady Luck (and Troy Aikman) began to pound the drum of bad luck and the negative plays started. They have suffered Aikman before, but LL follows her own agenda.

Let us hope that in time this game will turn into a blessing in disguise. Using this game as a discovery of GB's faults it can be utilized to build a better Packer team. Perhaps it is better to learn these lessens now, rather than at a more critical point in the season. I can't believe that GB would repeat this performance with TB in a playoff game.

Learn from it and get ready to travel to Houston.
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2020-10-19T12:54:04Z
Nerd noted
Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Yes that is true for the offense. But even without the 14 gift points, the defense gave up an additional 24 point in 3 quarters. Whatever we are doing is not working.
Quote:

MVS isn't good for much.

Nothing new here.
Quote:

I thought Wagner sucked, an absolute turnstile....IMO
Quote:

Amen, there has been a lot of free agent and draft talent spent on that side of the ball and the trend is not good.
Quote:

Aaron is one of those guys teams are usually afraid to blitz.

When we had an above average line and could pick up blitzes, that was the case. Our line, especially without Bahk, is pedestrian.

The net is that we are not a terribly 'physical' team. We cannot play smash mouth, nor stop smash mouth. We are a very average team with a very very good quarterback.

Obviously, unless that quarterback plays perfectly, we will not win against quality opponents.
Cheesey
2020-10-19T15:47:53Z
Let’s face it, our defense still sucks. Brady had all day to find open receivers.
Our offense, which had been our saving grace, was horrible after the first two drives.
So now teams know, rattle Rodgers, and you can steamroll the Packers.
Any good defense will stop the Packers. The Bears will kill us. And I didn’t think that would be possible with the way our first four games went. Now I don’t feel at all good about this team. Like last year, beat so so teams, get creamed by good teams.
Of course I hope they right the ship and prove me wrong.
It just reminded me so much of the 3 games on the west coast last year.
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2020-10-21T00:26:15Z
We are above average, which I guess is good....but we are not great, nor even close.
Smokey
2020-10-21T01:43:56Z
35 years ago, I got off work and went to a local bar to eat and watch the Monday Night Football game. It was 1985 and the Bears were playing the Dolphins.

The Bears had their (now) legendary defense, but the Dolphins had Dan Marino. When it was all over Miami served up Chicago's only loss in the reg. or post season that football season. I've never forgotten it because the whole universe was convinced that the Bears would roll with their invincible defense and above average offense.

That was one bar/food bill I paid with a wide smile on my face. That smile lasted all the next day as well.

Point is that even the best can have a bad game. So there is no need to panic over one loss. I still would like for Gutekunst go trade for or somehow hire a great ILB.
nerdmann
2020-10-21T01:53:26Z
Originally Posted by: Smokey 

35 years ago, I got off work and went to a local bar to eat and watch the Monday Night Football game. It was 1985 and the Bears were playing the Dolphins.

The Bears had their (now) legendary defense, but the Dolphins had Dan Marino. When it was all over Miami served up Chicago's only loss in the reg. or post season that football season. I've never forgotten it because the whole universe was convinced that the Bears would roll with their invincible defense and above average offense.

That was one bar/food bill I paid with a wide smile on my face. That smile lasted all the next day as well.

Point is that even the best can have a bad game. So there is no need to panic over one loss. I still would like for Gutekunst go trade for or somehow hire a great ILB.

We got Kamal coming back, hopefully soon.
nerdmann