Discussion Board
Blitz
  • Blitz
  • Member Topic Starter
2020-07-30T20:06:10Z
I'm not much into all the nuances of the contracts. Lots of informed folks here. My question is... Could we afford to keep him, maybe as back-up in 2 years, then maybe even eventual assistant QB coach?
beast
2020-07-30T20:24:50Z
In theory, that potential could happen.

In reality, no chance...

As it Rodgers would have to sit on the bench when he could be starting many places, and that the Packers would have to pay him $25 million and turn down trades for the pleasure of having what I assume to be an unhappy QB.

Plus, does he want to coach? Most successful players haven't seemed to turn around into NFL coaching (yes some have, but most don't), and it'd probably drive him mad, thinking he could do it better than the starting QB. Just think of Rodgers attempting to coach Jay Culter the mental side of the game.

And a lot of greats are shitty teachers, as they didn't struggle to do something and find it harder to connect with those that did struggle to do something. I found some of the best teachers are the ones that struggled themselves and then figured it out.
Blitz
  • Blitz
  • Member Topic Starter
Blitz
  • Blitz
  • Member Topic Starter
2020-07-30T21:13:52Z
I mean, he saw what happened to his predecessors legacy. What would it take for him to stay? He knows his career is ending in a few years. Why not take a pay cut & stay in case needed or until retirement. He knows that would solidify his stature in Packers lore forever.
Smokey
2020-07-30T21:35:28Z
Rodgers did not buy a Malibu beach house for no reason. When he leaves football he may try acting in movies as some others have done, but I believe he will manage business and investment ventures. He may still do commercials, but only as long as his fame value endures. i seriously doubt he will enter a broadcast booth like Tony Romo and others.

I see him playing a lot of golf and possibly settling down with a marriage/family life. He will return to visit in GB, yet like past QB's he will return to live in his original home state.

Do some players remain in GB when their playing/coaching jobs disappear? WHO ?
Blitz
  • Blitz
  • Member Topic Starter
2020-07-30T23:07:23Z
Larry "Bent Pinkie" McCarren springs to mind.
UserPostedImage
Blitz
  • Blitz
  • Member Topic Starter
2020-07-30T23:23:40Z
I am not sure where Larry McCarren lives. Point is, he has also become part of Packers Lore. I am certain Rodgers wants that too. He is not going to gain any fame going to another team. So why not stay in some capacity? NFL is so hyped on Favre as Packer's spokesman now, why not replace him there too?
beast
2020-07-30T23:24:50Z
Originally Posted by: Blitz 

I mean, he saw what happened to his predecessors legacy. What would it take for him to stay? He knows his career is ending in a few years. Why not take a pay cut & stay in case needed or until retirement. He knows that would solidify his stature in Packers lore forever.

He can avoid his predecessor legacy by simply avoiding playing on Packers divisional rivals.

But he's also seen Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and now Tom Brady all play for a second team as well, with some success (assuming Brady success as the offense is absolutely stacked).

Blitz
  • Blitz
  • Member Topic Starter
2020-07-30T23:54:37Z
True. However none of them are Packers. He watched a Packers icon destroy himself by leaving. Is he willing to take that chance?
beast
2020-07-31T00:07:08Z

True. However none of them are Packers. He watched a Packers icon destroy himself by leaving. Is he willing to take that chance?

I don't think being a Packer vs another team really changes anything here, other than what we pay attention to.

I believe someone said he's already talked about that he expects the team to let him go to play somewhere else at some point. That or reporters questions sorta lead him there.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2020-07-31T00:55:33Z
It's been said by other so I will simply say I agree. He won't take a pay cut to sit on the bench. His pride won't let him. The NFLPA won't let him. It sets a terrible example. The Packer front office won't let him. They will be wasting their assets.

He won't be an assistant coach. Why would he? By the time his current contract expires he will have made over $300 million in salary plus the hundreds of millions in ad revenues plus his investment income. Sure McCarren and the like coach or broadcast. They only made a fraction of the money. Do you see Peyton Manning, Brett Favre and the like coaching? Perhaps you do. I don't.
Zero2Cool
2020-07-31T13:19:44Z

I'm not much into all the nuances of the contracts. Lots of informed folks here. My question is... Could we afford to keep him, maybe as back-up in 2 years, then maybe even eventual assistant QB coach?

I don't expect Aaron Rodgers to be with the Packers after 3 seasons. I think the Packers win another Super Bowl with him in a season or two and then keep the pieces together for The Last Dance and then blow it up and rebuild under Jordan Love.
Blitz
  • Blitz
  • Member Topic Starter
2020-07-31T21:35:44Z
What if he wants to stay?
beast
2020-07-31T22:04:29Z

What if he wants to stay?

I'm sure he wants to stay, and if Love doesn't develop then there is possibly but realistically, when you're suggestion just hasn't happen in this era of football.

Unless you want to count Eli, who as some have suggested, he might of kept playing if some other team would of offered him the starter spot.

And as far as I know, Eli isn't with the team in any compacity anymore.
TheKanataThrilla
2020-08-01T00:15:31Z
I have to admit I would be shocked if we found ourselves in a Jimmy Garropolo situation where we traded Love and kept Aaron longer. If that happened it would definitely mean that Aaron bought in to the system and started being the short-ball QB this new offense is designed around. I do think Love is a keeper. His older game film is pretty awesome. I think he tried to do too much last year with diminished talent. If we can get the bad habits developed out of need last year out of his system I think we do have our next Franchise QB.