Discussion Board
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
2020-06-23T12:48:36Z
CheeseheadTV wrote:

The Green Bay Packers in 2020 are set to be a good team. Whether or not they can build on their NFC Championship Game appearance of a year ago and reach a Super Bowl is dependent on the steps forward that young players on the team take.
Entering the offseason, most fans and analysts would have pegged the team's two biggest areas of need as wide receiver and defensive line. In a rather surprising move, the Packers essentially punted on both of those positions this offseason, which means the pressure is on guys already on the roster to develop into qualtiy starters.
On the defensive line, that means the microscope is going to be on Kingsley Keke in particular.
In a unit full of known commodities, Keke might currently be the only mystery. Kenny Clark is a blue-chip stud who is going to get a big-dollar extension very soon, and a well-earned one at that. But outside of Clark, there's not a whole lot of reliability.
Dean Lowry is a solid role player who earned a nice little extension last year, but is never going to be a player you want on the field for every down. Tyler Lancaster was repeatedly taken advantage of in 2019. Montravious Adams was a big disappointment after an offseason in which a lot of fans and analysts hoped he'd take some big steps forward.
The ship hasn't sailed on these guys yet, but there's a general sense that the Packers know what they have in them. But with Keke, there's still a lot to learn.
Keke only saw the field for 94 snaps in 2019, meaning he was on the field for fewer than 10 percent of the team's defensive plays. But coaches have raved about what they've seen about him so far, both in games and on the practice field. Said defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, "He was a guy that as the year went on he got his opportunities in there, he was productive for us. That's somebody that we're looking forward to having a much more increased role." 
The Packers did add Gerald Willis and Treyvon Hester to the rotation in the offseason, but there's little reason to believe they'll be anything other than rotational players. This means Keke is going to be afforded every opportunity to come in and make a statement.
Keke has put on some weight over the last year and a half since his combine appearance, and this year will be playing around 295 or 300. His size and athleticism could make him a valuable presence in the run game, which was a major deficiency for the Packers in 2019 (to say the least). 
From my perspective, the Packers should have done more to address the run defense, particularly the defensive line, in the 2020 offseason. The Packers are relying too heavily on Keke to make big strides in his second year as a fifth-round pick. But there is certainly a lot to like about what Keke can produce for this team, and I would not be surprised to see him rise to the challenge.

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

I feel like the need at DL and WR are a bit overstated as they have good depth, really they just need a better quality starter, and WR has some guys with that potential, while DL seemingly just has DL.

Yes, the Packers struggled with run defense, but the run defense will continue to struggle as long as they play the very aggressive style that's meant to get after the pass, even with another talented DL in the mix.

But Keke is seems to be their only hope for a pass rushing DT outside of Clark and Lowry and Lancaster, while solid, are lacking top end potential and Adams seems to be a bust, despite looking like a great potential prospect from the draft.

Keke didn't do much last year, but DTs are kinda known for struggling to adjust as rookies, but Keke did show some flashes in preseason and looked like he could be slippery and hard for OL to stay on at times.

Last year the Packers also showed they might have another trick up their sleeve, in moving Z. Smith to interior rusher on 3rd downs, with the number 3 OLB getting on the field, which in this case will be Gary, whom also might be able to take interior snaps as well and help attack the Center while Clark is working on the 3 tech.
Users browsing this topic
Fan Shout
KRK (23h) : Happy Independence Day!!!
KRK (2-Jul) : Great thought of the day Z2C
Zero2Cool (2-Jul) : yikes -- No fans will be allowed to attend Buffalo Bills games during COVID
Zero2Cool (1-Jul) : from twitter...NFL reportedly to announce elimination of 1st and 4th 2020 preseason games
Cheesey (30-Jun) : I had to look up the story to get the details. The man was truly a hero. Jumped in when he couldn’t swim.
Zero2Cool (29-Jun) : @Chiefs 37 years ago today, Joe Delaney tragically passed away after attempting to save three children.
Zero2Cool (25-Jun) : @ShamsCharania Indiana Pacers guard Malcolm Brogdon tested positive for coronavirus.
Zero2Cool (25-Jun) : draft history updated
Zero2Cool (22-Jun) : Good catch smokey! I thought I did that already. I'll get on it later this week.
Zero2Cool (18-Jun) : 49ers WR Deebo Samuel has a bum wheel.
Zero2Cool (18-Jun) : That's noteworthy because Gordon applied for reinstatement today.
Zero2Cool (18-Jun) : @ProFootballTalk Josh Gordon relapsed after brother's death
Zero2Cool (15-Jun) : Thank you. We had like SIX of them. Why would anyone come here to spam? Not exactly high traffic lol
Cheesey (15-Jun) : Yeah, that’s why I called them to your attention. We don’t need that garbage on this great site!
Zero2Cool (15-Jun) : Dang spammers.
Zero2Cool (10-Jun) : @mattschneidman Packers at Giants in Week 3 of the preseason moved from 7 p.m. CT kickoff to 5 p.m. CT kickoff.
Zero2Cool (9-Jun) : @BillHuberSI Bakhtiari says he’s been training with Matthews at Clay’s house, where he has a gym.
Zero2Cool (5-Jun) : #Packers sign sixth-round G Jon Runyan.
Cheesey (27-May) : The irony is, you don’t get the irony. (Just kidding!)🤪
Nonstopdrivel (27-May) : I must have missed the joke. What is the irony?
Cheesey (25-May) : I think I’ll “irony” my laundry...🤪
Zero2Cool (25-May) : The irony lol....
Nonstopdrivel (23-May) : Agreed. I love doing research. I submitted a paper to a journal a couple of days ago. Fingers crossed that it gets accepted.
Zero2Cool (20-May) : Research projects can be tons of fun!
Nonstopdrivel (20-May) : I don't have any hospital responsibilities, just the endless onboarding process. I'm working on some research projects too.
TheKanataThrilla (18-May) : Is it vacation now NSD or do you still have hospital responsibilities?
Nonstopdrivel (16-May) : I'll be moving to Myrtle Beach in June.
TheKanataThrilla (16-May) : Congrats NSD. When are you moving?
Nonstopdrivel (15-May) : And thank you, everyone. Your kind words are much appreciated. It's been a long, long, long time in coming.
Nonstopdrivel (15-May) : Except that I'll be getting me Lombardi Trophy in the mail in a few weeks (Delayed by the idiotic coronavirus pan(Dem)ic, of course.
Cheesey (15-May) : Congrats NSD! I’m sorry u had to watch from home. Must feel like having a ticket to the super bowl, and watching on TV instead
yooperfan (14-May) : Congratulations NSD!
KRK (14-May) : Now you are truly Dr. NSD. Bravissimo
wpr (14-May) : Congratulations NSD. It's an honor in whatever form.
Nonstopdrivel (14-May) : my*
Nonstopdrivel (14-May) : Watching my medical school commencement from by living room. 😂
Cheesey (14-May) : My favorite position on the Packers is the PUNter!😝
Cheesey (14-May) : Does that mean I should be PUNished?🤪
Nonstopdrivel (12-May) : I'd say most of your puns recently have been more of a stretch than string cheese, but Nostridamus was a masterpiece. I wouldn't nominate it for a Pullitzer anyway.
Cheesey (12-May) : LOL Wayne! I appreciate your comment. You and Non made me feel my “cheesiness” is still worth something here.
wpr (12-May) : I will apologize Cheesey. I saw it and considered it to be the typical cheese spread. I failed to recognize the masterpiece of pun it truly is. mea culpa
Cheesey (12-May) : Nonstop, I honestly wondered if anyone would get it! And you probably were the only one! Good job!🤪
Nonstopdrivel (11-May) : "Nostridamus" -- that might be your best pun yet, not least because it took me almost an entire day to get it.
Cheesey (11-May) : Wayne...is she gonna keep YOU?😂
Cheesey (11-May) : Nostridamis told me that Booger was being released....from the end of my finger!😁
wpr (10-May) : last December. I think I'll keep her.
wpr (10-May) : Today's Mother's Day. My wife can watch whatever she wants. What was on our tv? Pride and Prejudice? Sense and Sensibility? Something on Hallmark Chanel? Nope. Star Trek, Dr Who and now Packers-Bears
Zero2Cool (10-May) : Both guys on MNF are replaced.
KRK (10-May) : Seriously, IMO he was excellent in the role he was in the previous year
KRK (10-May) : To be fair to the guy it snot all his fault.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2020 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 13 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Sep 20 @ 12:00 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Sep 27 @ 7:20 PM
Saints
Monday, Oct 5 @ 7:15 PM
FALCONS
Sunday, Oct 18 @ 3:25 PM
Buccaneers
Sunday, Oct 25 @ 12:00 PM
Texans
Sunday, Nov 1 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Thursday, Nov 5 @ 7:20 PM
49ers
Sunday, Nov 15 @ 12:00 PM
JAGUARS
Sunday, Nov 22 @ 12:00 PM
Colts
Sunday, Nov 29 @ 7:20 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Dec 6 @ 3:25 PM
EAGLES
Sunday, Dec 13 @ 12:00 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 20 @ 12:00 PM
PANTHERS
Sunday, Dec 27 @ 7:20 PM
TITANS
Sunday, Jan 3 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Think About It
Think About It
Recent Topics
7h / Random Babble / wpr

18h / Around The NFL / Smokey

23h / Random Babble / KRK

3-Jul / Around The NFL / Smokey

3-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

3-Jul / Random Babble / wpr

2-Jul / Random Babble / Smokey

2-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

2-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

2-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / stevegb

1-Jul / Around The NFL / Cheesey

1-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

1-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

30-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2020 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.