Zero2Cool
3 years ago
Around the end of 2018 I had a review that wasn't that great, nor was it that accurate. Example is one paragraph praised me finding new tools, while the paragraph later condemned me for it as misusing my time. Even after clarifying I knew of these tools prior to my current position and investigate them on my own time, it mattered not. Thus, I began interviewing for the right position, not just the next position.

I tried making the most of the situation the best I could and over time it became apparent I was not being developed, rather just carried along. In fact, the Director told me "you're the QB, you just run the play that's called and that's it". I am perfectly fine taking orders and executing them. However, when I see opportunities for improvement I feel it's my responsibility to at the very least mention them.

Middle of April I had a final interview with a company and the position fit everything I wanted at GBP and wasn't being given the opportunity to earn. A fact that after I gave my notice others acknowledged. I gave GBP a three week notice because I wanted to make sure the transition was smooth and without a hitch.

Tomorrow closes out week two of my position with a new company. So far, so good. A LOT of work needs to be done on the IT side of things, but hey, that's right in my wheelhouse.

Then you add in all this COVID-19 stuff. I'm being trained by people wearing masks. It's essentially a muffler, lol.

My girlfriend and my daughters say I'm much happier now and I must say -- it does feel like a million tons of weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Fighting every minute of every hour of every day to prove I'm worth an opportunity, just a CHANCE really took a toll on me over the last two years. Not to sound weak or nothing, but I really felt my mental side of things slipping big time.

Anyhow, that's kind of what's been up with me over the last few months. I hope this COVID-19 situation hasn't caused many much grief or pain.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
UserPostedImage
You deserve it.

UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
3 years ago
Good for you.

Changing job can allow you unload baggage and get a fresh start. Find the right job can be equally invigorating. I hope you still love it 5 years from now.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
3 years ago
From and old Forbes Article:

1. When you stay in the same organization, you gradually lose touch with the outside world. Your field of vision constricts and you begin to focus on internal priorities (who's up and who's down politically, your next position, and your current goals) rather than focusing on the larger world outside your company's walls. One of the biggest dangers of staying a job too long is that you fall behind what is happening in your industry and the wide world beyond it.

2. Unless your company is growing very fast -- experiencing thirty percent annual growth or more -- it is difficult or impossible to give yourself the new experiences, new challenges and range of muscle-building activities you will naturally encounter by changing jobs. We have to work much harder to learn as much as fast in a company we are familiar with as we will learn by entering new organizations frequently.

3. It can feel uncomfortable to be incompetent. It is easy to forget that we learn the most when we are least competent. As soon as we know a job, part of our brain goes to sleep. We don't have to stay open and curious. When you change jobs often, you never get out of open-and-curious mode. You'll accumulate new learning (and just as important, a comfort level with "incompetence") much faster by throwing yourself into new-job territory more often.

4. Every time you change jobs, you get to (and have to) re-establish your value. Every time you change jobs you get to redefine yourself on your own terms. If you learned a ton at your last job and were ready to become Manager of Inventory Control but you couldn't do that at your last job because the Manager of Inventory Control was your boss, you can step up to a new altitude by moving to a new company. You can rationalize the decision to stay in your previous role any number of ways, but the truth is that the only thing you will ever have to sell to an employer or client is your expertise, and the only way to grow that is to grab every new learning opportunity you see.

5. The more often you change jobs, the more comfortable you will become interviewing, probing for Business Pain, telling Dragon-Slaying stories and negotiating to get paid what you're worth. You won't grow those muscles by staying put at one job!

6. When you change jobs more frequently, your spidey sense will get stronger. You'll learn to evaluate employers as much as they evaluate you. You won't waste your time working for people who don't have a clue or won't give you latitude to put your stamp on your job. You'll pass them by and work with people who have vision and courage, instead!

7. When you stay put in one job for a long time, you can begin to perform your job mechanically. Your supply of new ideas will begin to diminish and then die out. You need fresh "glasses" to keep a channel open to the collective consciousness or wherever your best ideas come from. If you are asleep in your job, you won't be as creative or energized about trying new things.

8. There are companies that won't hire people who have short-term jobs (even jobs that lasted two or three years) on their resumes. If that includes you, don't panic! If a company like that rejects you, you will have dodged a bullet. There's too much fear in an organization that turns away job-seekers because they don't stay stuck in their jobs for five or ten years. There's no way your brilliance could shine forth in a place like that. Be grateful for the "no thank you" letter those people sent you, and thank Mother Nature for sending you signs and signals to keep you on your path.

9. The more companies you work for, the more your reputation in your business community can grow. The more companies you work for, the more people you will know. The more companies you work for, the more comfortable you will be walking into new business situations and figuring out what's important. Nothing but experience can help you grow those muscles!

10. The longer you stay in one company -- even if you change jobs internally -- the more set and solid your box will become. The more often and more fearlessly you step out of your comfort zone, the more your comfort zone will expand. If you don't actively enlarge your comfort zone all the time, you will become your own worst enemy. You will start to believe that you are your job title. You won't see your own vast possibilities. Changing jobs often will make it easier to see that there are no boxes around you. You are capable of doing whatever you want to do, regardless of the job titles you've held so far.

You wouldn't give anyone else permission to limit you. Don't give your employer the right to limit you, either. Instead, take the wheel and drive your own career --

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (10h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.