Discussion Board
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
  • Select Member Topic Starter
2019-12-04T21:49:44Z
Just was wondering if any hunters here saw or harvested any deer this season.
I decided not to go this year. (Didn’t go last year either)
So....how did you all do?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2019-12-05T03:49:24Z
I didn't go but I heard the hunters say the numbers are down again. It's been that way for a couple of years. They think the state sharpshooters are culling too many.
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2019-12-05T11:20:41Z
To those of you who do....stay safe.
gbguy20
2019-12-05T12:33:19Z
Got a 10 point buck when I was 12. Haven't gone since. I've already been to the mountain top.
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
2019-12-05T13:29:14Z
Wisconsin DNR said there were only 160 thousand deer taken during the 9 day season.
That isn’t a lot of deer. I remember seasons where 4 to 5 hundred thousand were harvested.
I can’t help but wonder if the reintroduction of wolves in the state hasn’t decimated the deer herd. How many fawns AND adult deer are killed by wolves?
To me, bringing wolves back was a stupid idea. These predators will wipe out the deer, and small animals like rabbits and others. Which of course takes away food from birds of prey.
And since we have no way of controlling the wolf population, something has to give. Farmers will lose livestock. Pets and maybe even small children are at risk.
Seems to me no one in charge thought any of this through.
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
2019-12-05T13:58:12Z
Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Got a 10 point buck when I was 12. Haven't gone since. I've already been to the mountain top.

That’s the problem with getting a big buck at a young age. You can’t top that.
I’ve killed 20 deer in my life. It took me 11 years to get my first deer. And it was antlerless. Yet it was a huge trophy to me. In fact all my deer were trophies to me.
I never took an “iffy” shot. I passed up a lot of deer because I didn’t feel I could make a quick clean kill. That’s how I was taught.
gbguy20
2019-12-05T14:29:31Z
Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Wisconsin DNR said there were only 160 thousand deer taken during the 9 day season.
That isn’t a lot of deer. I remember seasons where 4 to 5 hundred thousand were harvested.
I can’t help but wonder if the reintroduction of wolves in the state hasn’t decimated the deer herd. How many fawns AND adult deer are killed by wolves?
To me, bringing wolves back was a stupid idea. These predators will wipe out the deer, and small animals like rabbits and others. Which of course takes away food from birds of prey.
And since we have no way of controlling the wolf population, something has to give. Farmers will lose livestock. Pets and maybe even small children are at risk.
Seems to me no one in charge thought any of this through.

The point of hunting isn't to get a big harvest every year. The point is to thin the herd so the land can support the herd that is left, so thousands don't die a slow horrible death of malnutrition. If the land can support wolves again then let the wolves thin the herd for us and let the natural food chain do its job without human intervention. I'd much rather have a healthy wolf herd than have a big deer harvest.
Zero2Cool
2019-12-05T14:37:17Z

The point of hunting isn't to get a big harvest every year. The point is to thin the herd so the land can support the herd that us left, so thousands don't die a slow horrible death of malnutrition. If the land can support wolves again then let the wolves thin the herd for us and let the natural food chain do its job. I'd much rather have a healthy wolf herd than have a big deer harvest.

This is absolutely bullshit and 100% wrong. The point of hunting is to ensure I don't hit deer while driving my car. And if you cross eyed fucks would aim better this wouldn't be a problem.

[bdance] [boxing] [rock]
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
2019-12-05T15:16:35Z

The point of hunting isn't to get a big harvest every year. The point is to thin the herd so the land can support the herd that is left, so thousands don't die a slow horrible death of malnutrition. If the land can support wolves again then let the wolves thin the herd for us and let the natural food chain do its job without human intervention. I'd much rather have a healthy wolf herd than have a big deer harvest.

I agree. But fact is, the wolf population will keep growing while the deer population plummets. So what do you think the wolves will go after when there aren’t enough deer to feed them? That’s right, they will go into HUMAN populated areas looking for food. Starving wolves are a lot bigger problem to humans then starving deer are. Why do you think wolves were extinct in Wisconsin in the first place?
Humans can help keep deer populations under control. But not the wolves.
Also, where do you think the millions of dollars that the DNR collects to buy up land for deer and other animals to live? Or to stock rivers and lakes with fish? It comes mostly from hunting licenses. $24 times 600,000. And all the archery licenses. All the fishing licenses.
How about all the hotels, taverns and sporting goods stores that rely on the 9 day deer season to stay afloat? Deer hunter numbers are getting lower every year. And as long as there is such a low chance at actually getting venison, it will continue to drop.
Tell me, is it better to have more deer, that will be harvested and taken home to feed people? Or to feed and grow wolf packs? Thing we’re fine in the state before the wolves. And the only starvation of deer were in remote areas of the state where humans could not get to.
gbguy20
2019-12-05T15:45:29Z
when the wolves overpopulate and decimate the deer population then we open up wolf season and the cycle repeats itself. or one day we find a good balance and have annual seasons for both animals and both herds maintain proper size. that would be nice. it shouldn't have to be just no wolves.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2019-12-05T16:17:06Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

This is absolutely bullshit and 100% wrong. The point of hunting is to ensure I don't hit deer while driving my car. And if you cross eyed fucks would aim better this wouldn't be a problem.

[bdance] [boxing] [rock]

The ultimate hunting rifle. Prey beware.

UserPostedImage

Cheesey
  • Cheesey
2019-12-05T22:36:07Z

when the wolves overpopulate and decimate the deer population then we open up wolf season and the cycle repeats itself. or one day we find a good balance and have annual seasons for both animals and both herds maintain proper size. that would be nice. it shouldn't have to be just no wolves.

PETA hates hunting. Especially hunting wolves. They will make a hissy fit if Wisconsin tries to have a wolf hunt.
Also, I doubt most hunters would hunt wolves, as you don’t eat the meat. It’s only for their fur.
I am what would be called a “meat hunter”. Although if I saw a big buck and had a buck tag, I would take it.
I have no desire to hunt a wolf.
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
2019-12-06T20:10:41Z
A couple weeks ago I was driving west bound on I-94. I saw something white in a farmers field. At first I thought it was maybe a small piece of farm equipment. Until it raised its head. It was an albino deer! I have seen a few of them over my many years on this earth, but was quite surprised at seeing another one. Kind of neat to see something so rare.
And for anyone reading this thread that’s isn’t aware, they are protected.
I feel fortunate that I have had the chance to see rare animals that most people never get a chance to see.
gbguy20
2019-12-07T00:11:54Z
that's awesome! there is an albino squirrel that lives near me. its awesome too, but i can't help but wonder if the other squirrels make fun of him or leave them out of their squirrel games.
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
2019-12-07T12:25:45Z
I’ve seen black squirrels.
And of course fox squirrels. Fox squirrels are about a third larger then grey ones.
I’ve also seen 3 badgers, and a wolverine.
I also had a chipmunk run over my legs several times. I then waited until he was just about to run over me again, when I raised my arms and said “BOO!” That poor thing jumped straight in the air, then ran about 20 feet away from me and cursed me out! (At least I’m pretty sure he was cursing, as I don’t understand “chipmunk”)