Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 6:04:22 AM(UTC)
Yes. Too many explosive plays are being given up.

PackersTalk said:
Many people were happy when new head coach Matt LaFleur announced he would retain defensive coordinator Mike Pettine. 2018 was Pettine’s first year in Green Bay, and despite a lack of experience and ability, he got a lot out of a defense that many believed was barren of talent. Fast forward a year later, and [...]

Continue Reading @ PackersTalk
beast  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 6:23:30 AM(UTC)
No, it's not Pettine, unless he's got better players that he's not playing...

The game plans and calls seem to be good, the execution has been lacking... maybe some guys need to be benched, but is the guy behind them any better?

I can't answer that... but we all know King has his issues, but would Tramon Williams be better? Sullivan?...

They could switch to more zone coverage, but I think that would just open their coverage up even more, as we don't really have the LBers for over the middle coverage. But ai guess maybe if we put a lot of Safeties on the field... but that creates more problems.
Porforis  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 9:01:25 AM(UTC)
There has to be someone on the street better than King, or someone we could trade for that's a serviceable #4 CB if the issue is really that there's nobody better behind him. If there's nobody better behind him, what happens if we have an injury at CB and all of a sudden King AND the guy worse than him are on the field all the time?
Cheesey  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:02:22 AM(UTC)
No matter how good or bad the coach is, he can only COACH. The players have to make plays.
Look at all the missed tackles. That’s not the coaches fault. At this point in their careers, they SHOULD know how to wrap up a runner.
shield4life  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:06:51 AM(UTC)
His one of the problems, I mean both the Chargers / 49ers games offense hasn't showed up either which doesn't help a Mike Pettine defense.
Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:22:59 AM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
No matter how good or bad the coach is, he can only COACH. The players have to make plays.
Look at all the missed tackles. That’s not the coaches fault. At this point in their careers, they SHOULD know how to wrap up a runner.

Good coaching covers up a lot. I know Patriots are the exception, but that team shows they can make average joes into good team players. Coaches should scheme around their players, not force players to fall within a scheme they are not good enough.

KRK  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:49:47 AM(UTC)
There are a number of new assistants as well. Perhaps the communication and messaging is not not as crisp and tight as it could be or will be. I know we have significant deficiencies inside, but nevertheless far too many blown coverages.

Given all the changes, and the talent level, it is remarkable that we are 8-3, albeit with some good fortune and schedule timing.
beast  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 1:09:55 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Good coaching covers up a lot. I know Patriots are the exception, but that team shows they can make average joes into good team players. Coaches should scheme around their players, not force players to fall within a scheme they are not good enough.

And Pettine for the most part does that... the players are better fitting in this scheme than the other options.

The edge rushers are a great fit in this scheme, the man coverage fits most of the DBs the best, Martinez would be better in zone coverage, but really he's gonna struggle in coverage no matter which system you use. I think Clark would be best as a NT more often, but you're using the parts you got, and you need someone good in the DT role.

To Cheese's point, the tackling, almost doesn't matter the scheme, because failing to tackle will hurt in all schemes.

Just not enough quality pieces of the puzzle. Need better DTs (to go with Clark), CBs (with Alexander) and coverage LBers (we got no one, unless you count the backup Safety).
Cheesey  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 3:49:26 PM(UTC)
Fact is, if our QB rushers can’t pressure the QB, our DBs will get burned. They aren’t good enough to cover long time.
And Garopilo (sp?) had WAY too long to pick who he wanted to toss the ball to.
No QB pressure=loss
gbguy20  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 4:12:29 PM(UTC)
Our defensive line sucks ass including Kenny Clark. Going with the younger cheaper no names has backfired. Our best cornerback is 38 years old. King is garbage and jaire hit a wall after week 4. Pettine is not as good as we thought he was, either.
rabidgopher04  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:06:37 PM(UTC)
Wow. You guys turned on him quickly.
bboystyle  
#12 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 12:56:47 AM(UTC)
No its not Pettine. Its Kevin King, no depth at safety, no d-line men worth a damn including Clark, no ILB at all. You can also add in an offense that cant do a damn thing vs good defenses causing out defense to NOT get rested.

Our whole damn defense relies on Za'Darius and Preston Smith.
beast  
#13 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 4:13:06 AM(UTC)
bboystyle said: Go to Quoted Post
No its not Pettine. Its Kevin King, no depth at safety, no d-line men worth a damn including Clark, no ILB at all. You can also add in an offense that cant do a damn thing vs good defenses causing out defense to NOT get rested.

Our whole damn defense relies on Za'Darius and Preston Smith.

Completely agree, other than Clark is worth a lot more than people think... he's just not making flash plays, so people think he's crap, because fans mainly just see the flash plays.

But part of the reason the edge rushers are so successful is because Clark is stopping then from stepping up.

And Clark is playing a huge percentage of the snaps for a DT. According to pro football reference is currently 4th in Packers defensive snap count ... 4th!

Behind only Amos, Martinez and Alexander. This is while playing the big fat guys positions that normally gets rotated the most often! P. Smith is right on his tail and Z. Smith not that far behind. And this is while Clark had some banged up injuries too, and he kept his butt on the field... and the other DL still haven't stepped it up like we expected.
nyrpack  
#14 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 6:45:38 AM(UTC)
Always give up big plays Every year , if only we had a dee like the niners , we have to figure out one day to eliminate the big plays hopefully sooner then later !!
KRK  
#15 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 6:50:28 AM(UTC)
Big plays are usually the result of blown assignments and missed tackles. Other than Kevin King suckage, there of been a very few big plays given up short of those two factors.

And to be slightly fair to King, on the long Pass to George Kittle, King was supposed to get inside help, I am guessing
Rss Feed