Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:24:04 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,624
Applause Received: 651

Rob Demovsky wrote:
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Green Bay Packers reached an injury settlement with rookie tight end Colt Lyerla on Tuesday and waived him off injured reserve.

The settlement will pay Lyerla through Week 8 of the regular season, his agent Vinnie Porter said, and also allows him the opportunity to return to the NFL this season. Had he spent the entire year on injured reserve, he would have had no chance to play until 2015 but would have been able to attend meetings and other functions with the Packers.

Trying to sneak him onto the PS? Then again maybe not:

Quote:
After eight weeks, Lyerla is free to sign with any team. However, by rule, the Packers couldn’t bring back Lyerla for an additional six weeks. That would be after Week 14, making his return seem unlikely.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:35:07 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 450
Applause Received: 271

If I'm reading this right, the Packers pay him for half a season, then lose him anyway? Why - if he has the potential they say - would they not put him on IR, which would mean paying him for the other half of the season, but then they keep him for next year?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:36:36 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,953
Applause Received: 2,181

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
If I'm reading this right, the Packers pay him for half a season, then lose him anyway? Why - if he has the potential they say - would they not put him on IR, which would mean paying him for the other half of the season, but then they keep him for next year?

I'm thinking Colt and his agent made an agreement with the Packers. The Packers paying full season of IR is more than half and in exchange, Colt agrees to give the Packers for chance to sign him.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:09:53 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,027
Applause Received: 1,466

If they were interested in keeping him they would have done it differently. he's gone. Just my guess.

UserPostedImage

Offline QCHuskerFan  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:30:05 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 84
Applause Received: 149

Might be he's not quite as perfect as some on here would believe. Again, he was not drafted by a league that is starved for talent and has very low standards for behavior. This is a league with murderers, rapists, drunk drivers, and PED abusers. I don't think his character alone contributed to his not being drafted.
thanks Post received 3 applause.
steveishere on 8/26/2014(UTC), Gilligan on 8/26/2014(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 8/26/2014(UTC)
Offline earthquake  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 3:47:40 PM(UTC)
earthquake

Applause Given: 186
Applause Received: 61

Yeah, you would think if they wanted to develop him, they would have IR'd him. Injury settlement to me looks like they cut ties.

They put a guy like Rajion Neal on IR, but cut Lyerla, I don't think thats a good sign.

Message modified by user Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:01:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

blank
Offline nerdmann  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:15:16 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,624
Applause Received: 651

Maybe Ted walked in on him smoking a doob.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Laser Gunns  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:26:06 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 40
Applause Received: 244

he was not counting against the 53, so the only reasons to release him now are.

(A) His injury is really bad

(B) His attitude/work ethic stinks

(C) He is just not good enough to waste time developing (i don't think they would bring him in the first place if true)

(D) They are trying to circumvent the PUP to bring him back later, while risking losing him to another team.

(E) His injury is not season ending, but he has not shown enough that the Packers want to have him next year, so he and his agent reached a settlement in the hopes that another team could pick him up and stash him for next year. so that he can get with acquainted new team ASAP.

I vote "E"

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline Gilligan  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:44:50 PM(UTC)
Gilligan

United States

Applause Given: 14
Applause Received: 32

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
Might be he's not quite as perfect as some on here would believe. Again, he was not drafted by a league that is starved for talent and has very low standards for behavior. This is a league with murderers, rapists, drunk drivers, and PED abusers. I don't think his character alone contributed to his not being drafted.

The kid has no character and questionable talent at best.
Cut the losses and let him go.
I am chosen by many but taken by no one.
Offline beast  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:27:08 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 246
Applause Received: 312

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post

I think because they're following NFL rules...

I think by rule they could IR the whole season if he was serious injured enough and/or if he and his agent are okay with it... sounds like he and his agent want him to be free because they think he can still make a roster this year and play this year (after he heals up half the season).

So the team and the agent have to come together and agree on some sort of settlement package... and they agreed at 8 weeks it sounds like.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:04:03 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 450
Applause Received: 271

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns Go to Quoted Post
he was not counting against the 53, so the only reasons to release him now are.

(A) His injury is really bad

(B) His attitude/work ethic stinks

(C) He is just not good enough to waste time developing (i don't think they would bring him in the first place if true)

(D) They are trying to circumvent the PUP to bring him back later, while risking losing him to another team.

(E) His injury is not season ending, but he has not shown enough that the Packers want to have him next year, so he and his agent reached a settlement in the hopes that another team could pick him up and stash him for next year. so that he can get with acquainted new team ASAP.

I vote "E"

I tend to agree with you, although I'd consider B a possibility too.

I just hope he doesn't end up on some other team as an NFL success that we should have had.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Rss Feed