Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:34:11 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 25,651
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,841
Applause Received: 1,994

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
As I understood it, kids were then turning around and selling the autographed cards.


While I think kids should be given the benefit of the doubt, it is true that some parents would have their kids obtain the autographs for them to sell.

Personally, I would rather take the chance of making some kids day than worry about someone making a buck off my ink. The impression you have the opportunity to make on someone that young is priceless. The amount of money someone could make off the ink, very limited.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
thanks Post received 3 applause.
sschind on 6/10/2014(UTC), yooperfan on 6/10/2014(UTC), StarrMax1 on 6/10/2014(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 1:35:31 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Posts: 12,752
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,022

Off the top of my head... Tim Lewis, John Brockington, Sterling Sharpe.

Lynn Dickey is one that I would love to see the numbers he may have put up if he could stay healthy.. albeit an ounce of mobility might have been nice as well.

Another would be Justin Harrell.. he at times looked dominate in college.. just could stay healthy at all.

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline sschind  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:15:03 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 904
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 100
Applause Received: 386

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
While I think kids should be given the benefit of the doubt, it is true that some parents would have their kids obtain the autographs for them to sell.

Personally, I would rather take the chance of making some kids day than worry about someone making a buck off my ink. The impression you have the opportunity to make on someone that young is priceless. The amount of money someone could make off the ink, very limited.


Lots of athletes do not like to sign for this reason. Others will insist on personalizing the authograph ie: to Johnny, my #1 fan because personalized autographs generally are not as desirable to autograph collectors. I agree with zero. I would rather sign 100 autos destined for ebay rather than miss 1 kid who truly wanted one for himself. yes, many parents will have their kids get autos to resell and many adults will pay kids to get things signed but that is the nature of the beast. If you are popular people will want your autograph.

One way to diminish this is not to sign fewer items but to sign more. Get 100,000 of your cards, sign them and have someone sell them them on ebay for enough to cover shipping or simply give them away. Flood the market with them. If a card company wants you to sign cards for a product sign a ton of them. The more signatures that are out there the less they will be worth.

Another way is to start a rumor that someone forged many thousands of your signatures on items that can be purchased through places like ebay. Yeah, its dishonest but that will ensure that the only way for people to know for sure your signature is real is to get it in person.

Personally I have never seen the appeal of an autograph, especially one purchased from a second hand source like those on trading cards. The only way I would consider an autograph for myself is if I saw the person at a game or a function not specifically set up to provide autographs like if you saw the person out on the town (even though approaching them then may be rude and presumptuous) I remember many years ago when Favre hurt his foot and during the bye week he was signing at a Scheels sporting goods store in Eau Claire. People were lined up from one end of the mall to the other and half way back at 9:00 in the morning and the signing wasn't set to start until 10 or maybe even 11. I can not think of a single person that I would wait in line for more that maybe 10 minutes to get an autograph from unless I was getting the autograph for a gift for someone. I might wait an hour or so to get someone like Brian Urlacher to sign an item for my nephew (Urlacher was his favorite player) but for myself, no way. It just means nothing to me.

If I were famous I'd like to think that I would sign sign sign, anything and everything that came my way as long as the request was within reason (not being rude or invasive or things like that)

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DakotaT on 6/10/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:27:52 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 7,250
Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,297

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
Lots of athletes do not like to sign for this reason. Others will insist on personalizing the authograph ie: to Johnny, my #1 fan because personalized autographs generally are not as desirable to autograph collectors. I agree with zero. I would rather sign 100 autos destined for ebay rather than miss 1 kid who truly wanted one for himself. yes, many parents will have their kids get autos to resell and many adults will pay kids to get things signed but that is the nature of the beast. If you are popular people will want your autograph.

One way to diminish this is not to sign fewer items but to sign more. Get 100,000 of your cards, sign them and have someone sell them them on ebay for enough to cover shipping or simply give them away. Flood the market with them. If a card company wants you to sign cards for a product sign a ton of them. The more signatures that are out there the less they will be worth.

Another way is to start a rumor that someone forged many thousands of your signatures on items that can be purchased through places like ebay. Yeah, its dishonest but that will ensure that the only way for people to know for sure your signature is real is to get it in person.

Personally I have never seen the appeal of an autograph, especially one purchased from a second hand source like those on trading cards. The only way I would consider an autograph for myself is if I saw the person at a game or a function not specifically set up to provide autographs like if you saw the person out on the town (even though approaching them then may be rude and presumptuous) I remember many years ago when Favre hurt his foot and during the bye week he was signing at a Scheels sporting goods store in Eau Claire. People were lined up from one end of the mall to the other and half way back at 9:00 in the morning and the signing wasn't set to start until 10 or maybe even 11. I can not think of a single person that I would wait in line for more that maybe 10 minutes to get an autograph from unless I was getting the autograph for a gift for someone. I might wait an hour or so to get someone like Brian Urlacher to sign an item for my nephew (Urlacher was his favorite player) but for myself, no way. It just means nothing to me.

If I were famous I'd like to think that I would sign sign sign, anything and everything that came my way as long as the request was within reason (not being rude or invasive or things like that)



I've never been in "awe" of anybody. Just not how I roll. The great Brett Favre did a lot of awesome things on the football field, but he has not conducted himself with the kind of class Bart Starr did, not even close. Would I wait in line for Brett's autograph: hell to the no!
UserPostedImage
Online DoddPower  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:04:48 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Posts: 2,713
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,774
Applause Received: 418

Autographs have never meant much to me, either. When I was young, my Dad and I spoke with John Elway for awhile and got his autograph on his rookie card. He's a Bronco's fan and was excited. I guess it was cool to meet him. He was actually surprisingly nice, despite what you hear. Honestly, snapping my photo with a celebrity probably means as much as the autograph. That would probably lock the memory in even better than some scribble on cardboard. But even that doesn't mean much to me. They are just people. There a few individuals that I would like to meet, shake their hand, and talk to for a minute, but the group is very, very small. It's mostly limited to my musical idols. For the most part, I just don't care. I would love to meet any President or prominent world leader, regardless of my opinion of them just because of their place in society and to help remind me that they are human just like the rest of us. It's almost easy to forget that certain celebrities are actually real due to their larger than life portrayal. But for most celebrities, I wouldn't even know what the hell to say or do anyway, so I guess that's where the autographs come into play. At least it's a script to follow that everyone is used to.
Offline uffda udfa  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:53:21 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Posts: 708
Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 103
Applause Received: 103

The awe and wonder is for the young. I think the biggest thrill I ever had was shaking Wayne Gretzky's hand when he was a member of the Kings after a North Stars game at Met Center. That was twenty some odd years ago. I was going to ask for an autograph but I thought shaking his hand would be "cooler". He shook it and never said a word the entire time.

My life took me in directions where I met or spoke with countless numbers of athletes and celebrities. What starts out as awe and wonder loses it's luster very quickly. A lot of these people are people you really wouldn't want to meet anyway.

The last autograph I recall getting was from Bill Murray. I have only 3 autographs from all my experiences. Bill Murray, Don King (signed a dollar bill) and Pete Rose. I had multiple baseballs signed by Pete, but I gave all of them away save for one, and I may give that one away someday, too.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline OlHoss1884  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:39:57 PM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 270
Joined: 5/8/2013(UTC)
Location: Waukegan, IL

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 142

Let
s nnot confuse character with talent, thogh. When I was a kid, Jose Cardinel was one of my favorites. Great guy, class clown and totally fan friendly. But he batted about .235.

Sterling Sharoe always had a reputation as a dick, but I am ok with that as long as he's not a clubhouse cancer because he could play.

I have little doubt some of these guys are jerks...I bet I would have nothing to say to a Colt Lyerla, but if someone can keep out of trouble, can keep frombeing disruptive to the team and can play a little football, let's see him play!

Think about Randy Moss. Some wanted badly to bring him here but I hated him from his college days and even as a pro tried to run over a meter maid. yet no question a lot of people still thought to bring him here.

Brett Favre turned disruptive Prima Donna at the end of his tenure here so I was glad to see him go but I bet he didn't turn that way over night. And I for one was glad that, unlike the Bears, Vikings and Lions, I didn't have to worry about who my QB was for like 20 years.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline uffda udfa  
#38 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:19:56 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Posts: 708
Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 103
Applause Received: 103

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 Go to Quoted Post
Let
s nnot confuse character with talent, thogh. When I was a kid, Jose Cardinel was one of my favorites. Great guy, class clown and totally fan friendly. But he batted about .235.

Sterling Sharoe always had a reputation as a dick, but I am ok with that as long as he's not a clubhouse cancer because he could play.

I have little doubt some of these guys are jerks...I bet I would have nothing to say to a Colt Lyerla, but if someone can keep out of trouble, can keep frombeing disruptive to the team and can play a little football, let's see him play!

Think about Randy Moss. Some wanted badly to bring him here but I hated him from his college days and even as a pro tried to run over a meter maid. yet no question a lot of people still thought to bring him here.

Brett Favre turned disruptive Prima Donna at the end of his tenure here so I was glad to see him go but I bet he didn't turn that way over night. And I for one was glad that, unlike the Bears, Vikings and Lions, I didn't have to worry about who my QB was for like 20 years.


Sharpe wasn't well liked in the Packers locker room if you believe a book that was written. Supposedly, he was a nightmare in the huddle always complaining he needed the ball. From what I read, the players were happy he was out of there and felt they were a much better "team" without Sterling...and they were.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline nerdmann  
#39 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:46:05 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,901
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,299
Applause Received: 573

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 Go to Quoted Post
Let
s nnot confuse character with talent, thogh. When I was a kid, Jose Cardinel was one of my favorites. Great guy, class clown and totally fan friendly. But he batted about .235.

Sterling Sharoe always had a reputation as a dick, but I am ok with that as long as he's not a clubhouse cancer because he could play.

I have little doubt some of these guys are jerks...I bet I would have nothing to say to a Colt Lyerla, but if someone can keep out of trouble, can keep frombeing disruptive to the team and can play a little football, let's see him play!

Think about Randy Moss. Some wanted badly to bring him here but I hated him from his college days and even as a pro tried to run over a meter maid. yet no question a lot of people still thought to bring him here.

Brett Favre turned disruptive Prima Donna at the end of his tenure here so I was glad to see him go but I bet he didn't turn that way over night. And I for one was glad that, unlike the Bears, Vikings and Lions, I didn't have to worry about who my QB was for like 20 years.


Moss had a formative incident in his youth that made him what he was.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline sschind  
#40 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2014 7:05:54 AM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 904
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 100
Applause Received: 386

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Moss had a formative incident in his youth that made him what he was.



I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not (I know nothing of Randy Moss' youth) but I am sure lots of people have incidences in their youth that if not handled properly can turn them into jerks. They don't all turn into jerks. Being a jerk is as much about choosing to be a jerk as it is about your experiences.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline nerdmann  
#41 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2014 7:28:44 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,901
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,299
Applause Received: 573

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not (I know nothing of Randy Moss' youth) but I am sure lots of people have incidences in their youth that if not handled properly can turn them into jerks. They don't all turn into jerks. Being a jerk is as much about choosing to be a jerk as it is about your experiences.


Brief overview here.

Quote:
Not everyone at Dupont liked the idea of black and white students intermingling. “Red Neck Alley” was a section of the school aptly nicknamed. Lockers were decorated with Confederate flags and Ku Klux Klan symbols. Randy was a primary target for the kids who inhabited that area.

Randy found safe haven on the football field, where he led the Panthers to state football titles as a sophomore and junior, in 1992 and 1993. He and Williams nearly delivered a state hoops crown in 1993-94, when they paced Dupont all the way to the finals. By Randy’s senior year, he was West Virginia’s best schoolboy prospect, earning Player of the Year recognition in both football and basketball. He had given up baseball and track by this point, though he demonstrated all-state ability in both.

Randy was recruited by most of the major college football powerhouses, including Notre Dame and Florida State. The Mountaineers of West Virginia were also in hot pursuit. When Randy opted for the Fighting Irish, fans in his home state weren’t happy.

At Dupont, the kids from Red Neck Alley now had another reason to dislike Randy. They already were incensed by his choice of girlfriends, a white girl name Libby Offutt. (She and Randy already had a child.) In March of 1995, a fight broke out at school, and Randy jumped into the fray. When the police showed up, he was arrested. Since Randy was 18, he was charged as an adult. With public sentiment against him, the teenager felt he had no choice but to plead guilty. Randy was sentenced to 30 days in jail and got expelled from school. Alarmed by the turn of events, the administration at Notre Dame rescinded his scholarship.


Everybody loved Moss. Long as he kept his hands off of white girls and smiled when they hassled him in "Redneck Alley." The way I heard it was, he knocked up the white girl, so some redneck goons attacked her. Randy confronted those guys and messed them up, shut their pie holes for them.

This just happened to be around the time of the OJ Simpson case. So there was alot of negative publicity. Randy went from everybody loving him to him practically being construed as a double murderer. Opened his eyes a little bit, perhaps made him a bit cynical.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline OlHoss1884  
#42 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:18:50 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 270
Joined: 5/8/2013(UTC)
Location: Waukegan, IL

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 142

As I recall he repeatedly failed drug tests for pot. Not a big deal as far as drugs go but if it's the rule and you violate it and flaunt it, you are a problem. Warren Sapp was also a pothead but not nearly as badly...I think he got busted at his combine drug test, and that's why HE wasn't at the very top of his draft class.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline sschind  
#43 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:18:51 AM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 904
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 100
Applause Received: 386

Thanks for the post nerd. It is as shame that some people have to put up with crap like that but many people do and some have to deal with far worse.

Obviously people handle adversity in different ways. Some people can overcome it and others let it control them. However one decides to deal with it it is clear that things like this will have an influence on your character and behavior as an adult.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages<123
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Recent Topics
1m / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

36m / Green Bay Packers Talk / QCHuskerFan

52m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / StarrMax1

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / CaliforniaCheez

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DakotaT

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Laser Gunns

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

27-Jul / Random Babble / nerdmann


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.