Zero2Cool
9 years ago

As I understood it, kids were then turning around and selling the autographed cards.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

While I think kids should be given the benefit of the doubt, it is true that some parents would have their kids obtain the autographs for them to sell.

Personally, I would rather take the chance of making some kids day than worry about someone making a buck off my ink. The impression you have the opportunity to make on someone that young is priceless. The amount of money someone could make off the ink, very limited.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
9 years ago
Off the top of my head... Tim Lewis, John Brockington, Sterling Sharpe.

Lynn Dickey is one that I would love to see the numbers he may have put up if he could stay healthy.. albeit an ounce of mobility might have been nice as well.

Another would be Justin Harrell.. he at times looked dominate in college.. just could stay healthy at all.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
sschind
9 years ago

While I think kids should be given the benefit of the doubt, it is true that some parents would have their kids obtain the autographs for them to sell.

Personally, I would rather take the chance of making some kids day than worry about someone making a buck off my ink. The impression you have the opportunity to make on someone that young is priceless. The amount of money someone could make off the ink, very limited.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Lots of athletes do not like to sign for this reason. Others will insist on personalizing the authograph ie: to Johnny, my #1 fan because personalized autographs generally are not as desirable to autograph collectors. I agree with zero. I would rather sign 100 autos destined for ebay rather than miss 1 kid who truly wanted one for himself. yes, many parents will have their kids get autos to resell and many adults will pay kids to get things signed but that is the nature of the beast. If you are popular people will want your autograph.

One way to diminish this is not to sign fewer items but to sign more. Get 100,000 of your cards, sign them and have someone sell them them on ebay for enough to cover shipping or simply give them away. Flood the market with them. If a card company wants you to sign cards for a product sign a ton of them. The more signatures that are out there the less they will be worth.

Another way is to start a rumor that someone forged many thousands of your signatures on items that can be purchased through places like ebay. Yeah, its dishonest but that will ensure that the only way for people to know for sure your signature is real is to get it in person.

Personally I have never seen the appeal of an autograph, especially one purchased from a second hand source like those on trading cards. The only way I would consider an autograph for myself is if I saw the person at a game or a function not specifically set up to provide autographs like if you saw the person out on the town (even though approaching them then may be rude and presumptuous) I remember many years ago when Favre hurt his foot and during the bye week he was signing at a Scheels sporting goods store in Eau Claire. People were lined up from one end of the mall to the other and half way back at 9:00 in the morning and the signing wasn't set to start until 10 or maybe even 11. I can not think of a single person that I would wait in line for more that maybe 10 minutes to get an autograph from unless I was getting the autograph for a gift for someone. I might wait an hour or so to get someone like Brian Urlacher to sign an item for my nephew (Urlacher was his favorite player) but for myself, no way. It just means nothing to me.

If I were famous I'd like to think that I would sign sign sign, anything and everything that came my way as long as the request was within reason (not being rude or invasive or things like that)

DakotaT
9 years ago

Lots of athletes do not like to sign for this reason. Others will insist on personalizing the authograph ie: to Johnny, my #1 fan because personalized autographs generally are not as desirable to autograph collectors. I agree with zero. I would rather sign 100 autos destined for ebay rather than miss 1 kid who truly wanted one for himself. yes, many parents will have their kids get autos to resell and many adults will pay kids to get things signed but that is the nature of the beast. If you are popular people will want your autograph.

One way to diminish this is not to sign fewer items but to sign more. Get 100,000 of your cards, sign them and have someone sell them them on ebay for enough to cover shipping or simply give them away. Flood the market with them. If a card company wants you to sign cards for a product sign a ton of them. The more signatures that are out there the less they will be worth.

Another way is to start a rumor that someone forged many thousands of your signatures on items that can be purchased through places like ebay. Yeah, its dishonest but that will ensure that the only way for people to know for sure your signature is real is to get it in person.

Personally I have never seen the appeal of an autograph, especially one purchased from a second hand source like those on trading cards. The only way I would consider an autograph for myself is if I saw the person at a game or a function not specifically set up to provide autographs like if you saw the person out on the town (even though approaching them then may be rude and presumptuous) I remember many years ago when Favre hurt his foot and during the bye week he was signing at a Scheels sporting goods store in Eau Claire. People were lined up from one end of the mall to the other and half way back at 9:00 in the morning and the signing wasn't set to start until 10 or maybe even 11. I can not think of a single person that I would wait in line for more that maybe 10 minutes to get an autograph from unless I was getting the autograph for a gift for someone. I might wait an hour or so to get someone like Brian Urlacher to sign an item for my nephew (Urlacher was his favorite player) but for myself, no way. It just means nothing to me.

If I were famous I'd like to think that I would sign sign sign, anything and everything that came my way as long as the request was within reason (not being rude or invasive or things like that)

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I've never been in "awe" of anybody. Just not how I roll. The great Brett Favre did a lot of awesome things on the football field, but he has not conducted himself with the kind of class Bart Starr did, not even close. Would I wait in line for Brett's autograph: hell to the no!

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
9 years ago
Autographs have never meant much to me, either. When I was young, my Dad and I spoke with John Elway for awhile and got his autograph on his rookie card. He's a Bronco's fan and was excited. I guess it was cool to meet him. He was actually surprisingly nice, despite what you hear. Honestly, snapping my photo with a celebrity probably means as much as the autograph. That would probably lock the memory in even better than some scribble on cardboard. But even that doesn't mean much to me. They are just people. There a few individuals that I would like to meet, shake their hand, and talk to for a minute, but the group is very, very small. It's mostly limited to my musical idols. For the most part, I just don't care. I would love to meet any President or prominent world leader, regardless of my opinion of them just because of their place in society and to help remind me that they are human just like the rest of us. It's almost easy to forget that certain celebrities are actually real due to their larger than life portrayal. But for most celebrities, I wouldn't even know what the hell to say or do anyway, so I guess that's where the autographs come into play. At least it's a script to follow that everyone is used to.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
The awe and wonder is for the young. I think the biggest thrill I ever had was shaking Wayne Gretzky's hand when he was a member of the Kings after a North Stars game at Met Center. That was twenty some odd years ago. I was going to ask for an autograph but I thought shaking his hand would be "cooler". He shook it and never said a word the entire time.

My life took me in directions where I met or spoke with countless numbers of athletes and celebrities. What starts out as awe and wonder loses it's luster very quickly. A lot of these people are people you really wouldn't want to meet anyway.

The last autograph I recall getting was from Bill Murray. I have only 3 autographs from all my experiences. Bill Murray, Don King (signed a dollar bill) and Pete Rose. I had multiple baseballs signed by Pete, but I gave all of them away save for one, and I may give that one away someday, too.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

OlHoss1884
9 years ago
Let
s nnot confuse character with talent, thogh. When I was a kid, Jose Cardinel was one of my favorites. Great guy, class clown and totally fan friendly. But he batted about .235.

Sterling Sharoe always had a reputation as a dick, but I am ok with that as long as he's not a clubhouse cancer because he could play.

I have little doubt some of these guys are jerks...I bet I would have nothing to say to a Colt Lyerla, but if someone can keep out of trouble, can keep frombeing disruptive to the team and can play a little football, let's see him play!

Think about Randy Moss. Some wanted badly to bring him here but I hated him from his college days and even as a pro tried to run over a meter maid. yet no question a lot of people still thought to bring him here.

Brett Favre turned disruptive Prima Donna at the end of his tenure here so I was glad to see him go but I bet he didn't turn that way over night. And I for one was glad that, unlike the Bears, Vikings and Lions, I didn't have to worry about who my QB was for like 20 years.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Let
s nnot confuse character with talent, thogh. When I was a kid, Jose Cardinel was one of my favorites. Great guy, class clown and totally fan friendly. But he batted about .235.

Sterling Sharoe always had a reputation as a dick, but I am ok with that as long as he's not a clubhouse cancer because he could play.

I have little doubt some of these guys are jerks...I bet I would have nothing to say to a Colt Lyerla, but if someone can keep out of trouble, can keep frombeing disruptive to the team and can play a little football, let's see him play!

Think about Randy Moss. Some wanted badly to bring him here but I hated him from his college days and even as a pro tried to run over a meter maid. yet no question a lot of people still thought to bring him here.

Brett Favre turned disruptive Prima Donna at the end of his tenure here so I was glad to see him go but I bet he didn't turn that way over night. And I for one was glad that, unlike the Bears, Vikings and Lions, I didn't have to worry about who my QB was for like 20 years.

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 

Sharpe wasn't well liked in the Packers locker room if you believe a book that was written. Supposedly, he was a nightmare in the huddle always complaining he needed the ball. From what I read, the players were happy he was out of there and felt they were a much better "team" without Sterling...and they were.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
9 years ago

Let

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 

Moss had a formative incident in his youth that made him what he was.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
9 years ago

Moss had a formative incident in his youth that made him what he was.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not (I know nothing of Randy Moss' youth) but I am sure lots of people have incidences in their youth that if not handled properly can turn them into jerks. They don't all turn into jerks. Being a jerk is as much about choosing to be a jerk as it is about your experiences.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.