gbguy20
9 years ago

LOL! I read that piece! Also, I read an excerpt from another book... it said Sterling who was famous for being a dick when approached for an autograph would come in every week to bags full of mail and post cards. He would sit at his locker and sign every single request he received. The writer of that book said... "That was the enigma that was Sterling Sharpe."

A media member once saw Sterling Sharpe at the SuperBowl and put someone up to saying HEY, THAT'S STERLING SHARPE just so he could say loudly back where Sterling could hear it... WHO CARES? Not a nice thing to do but it shows the level of hatred Sterling inspired.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

hauahuaha. if this guy really was such an asshole that he deserved this kind of treatment, then awesome.
OlHoss1884
9 years ago
and Ty Cobb was as bad a human being as ever wore cleats but he was a helluva player.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

Are you sure you're not confusing him with his brother?

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Being a dick to the media isn't the same thing as being a dick to the fans.

Probably because he wouldn't give them their free sound bites. The media doesn't like to get off their jelly doughnut filled asses and actually work for a real story. Anyone who makes them do that instead of being human microphone stands is vilified.

He could be the greatest guy in the world, but if he doesn't spoon feed the media their stories for them, we wouldn't know. Because the media would be to busy grinding their axes to tell anyone the truth.

I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
nerdmann
9 years ago

Being a dick to the media isn't the same thing as being a dick to the fans.

Probably because he wouldn't give them their free sound bites. The media doesn't like to get off their jelly doughnut filled asses and actually work for a real story. Anyone who makes them do that instead of being human microphone stands is vilified.

He could be the greatest guy in the world, but if he doesn't spoon feed the media their stories for them, we wouldn't know. Because the media would be to busy grinding their axes to tell anyone the truth.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

As I recall, Sterling felt that the local media had douchebagged him as a rookie, so he only spoke to national media after that.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

As I recall, Sterling felt that the local media had douchebagged him as a rookie, so he only spoke to national media after that.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

That is they way I understood it.

I never heard a fan say he was a jerk. Only the media.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

That is they way I understood it.

I never heard a fan say he was a jerk. Only the media.

You must've not read the link posted.

His own teammates didn't like him and were glad when he was gone. I think that says a lot.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
9 years ago
You know those stories you hear about where kids offer their bike to the Packers players to ride to practice? I was one of those kids. Sterling Sharpe was my favorite Packers player at the time and I caught up to him and asked if he could sign a card I had. I believe it was his '89 SCORE card. I thought it was strange that no one was really around STERLING SHARPE. I thought it was my lucky day. Anyhow, he had his pads, helmet and cleats in his hands and said something like sorry kid hands full. I offered to carry his helmet or pads or anything to no avail. I wouldn't say he was a jerk about it, but I remember at the time I was devastated. All I wanted was some ink on a card that would have taken him 30 seconds at most.

I learned later he didn't like signing things because people were selling them. So I kind of understood, but my gosh, I was like 12 or something. When I played ball and was WR, I was Sterling Sharpe. Then on the flip side, he was probably alone because everyone but ignorant me knew he didn't stop to sign things. And if he stopped to sign for me, then there would have been an even larger flock of people surrounding him.

As for his disdain towards the media. The media is at fault that. They took words of his, twisted them around and took him completely out of context. He vowed not to talk to the media ever again. Then after I think it was the Lions/Packers playoff game where he caught a 60 (or something) yard bomb to win the game he went to the podium. No one could believe Sterling Sharpe was at the podium and no one asked a question.

I think Sterling Sharpe was an amazing WR, but I have to stay with my Javon Walker choice. Watching him jump to grab a ball out of the air so gracefully was just a pure pleasure.

UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

You know those stories you hear about where kids offer their bike to the Packers players to ride to practice? I was one of those kids. Sterling Sharpe was my favorite Packers player at the time and I caught up to him and asked if he could sign a card I had. I believe it was his '89 SCORE card. I thought it was strange that no one was really around STERLING SHARPE. I thought it was my lucky day. Anyhow, he had his pads, helmet and cleats in his hands and said something like sorry kid hands full. I offered to carry his helmet or pads or anything to no avail. I wouldn't say he was a jerk about it, but I remember at the time I was devastated. All I wanted was some ink on a card that would have taken him 30 seconds at most.

I learned later he didn't like signing things because people were selling them. So I kind of understood, but my gosh, I was like 12 or something. When I played ball and was WR, I was Sterling Sharpe. Then on the flip side, he was probably alone because everyone but ignorant me knew he didn't stop to sign things. And if he stopped to sign for me, then there would have been an even larger flock of people surrounding him.

As for his disdain towards the media. The media is at fault that. They took words of his, twisted them around and took him completely out of context. He vowed not to talk to the media ever again. Then after I think it was the Lions/Packers playoff game where he caught a 60 (or something) yard bomb to win the game he went to the podium. No one could believe Sterling Sharpe was at the podium and no one asked a question.

I think Sterling Sharpe was an amazing WR, but I have to stay with my Javon Walker choice. Watching him jump to grab a ball out of the air so gracefully was just a pure pleasure.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Sharpe bowled in a league with some guys I worked with. I asked them if Sterling was like what the media said. They said not at all. If you respected his privacy. But he could be very firm about it if you crossed the line. Not a jerk, just firm like he was with you.

After what the media did to him and they way he cut them off after it, I find it hard to believe any article about him. I have heard stories about him being cold and distant to people. But I haven't heard any one say he was a jerk to them personally.
sschind
9 years ago

Sharpe bowled in a league with some guys I worked with. I asked them if Sterling was like what the media said. They said not at all. If you respected his privacy. But he could be very firm about it if you crossed the line. Not a jerk, just firm like he was with you.

After what the media did to him and they way he cut them off after it, I find it hard to believe any article about him. I have heard stories about him being cold and distant to people. But I haven't heard any one say he was a jerk to them personally.

There is a huge difference between telling a fan no when you are approached while out to dinner with your family and telling a 12 year old kid no while walking to practice. A kid asking for an autograph in the latter situation is not crossing the line.

nerdmann
9 years ago

There is a huge difference between telling a fan no when you are approached while out to dinner with your family and telling a 12 year old kid no while walking to practice. A kid asking for an autograph in the latter situation is not crossing the line.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

As I understood it, kids were then turning around and selling the autographed cards.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.