Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline musccy  
#16 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2014 8:00:15 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 194
Applause Received: 172

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
Sadly, for Sterling's sake, he was known as a first class prick so the odds he's voted in aren't real strong. That shouldn't play a role in voting, but it does.

Are you sure you're not confusing him with his brother?

Offline musccy  
#17 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2014 8:03:10 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 194
Applause Received: 172

Javon Walker is a good one... He was mega talented but he was dumb as gum. A wonderlic 7...and I happened to cross his path long ago and had a conversation with him. What a nice but not real bright guy.

I do think that is right on...the best we've had since Sharpe.

I got him to sign a frisbee golf disc of mine at a bar in Green Bay once. As you said, nice enough guy, all the talent in the world, but lacking a bit between the ears.

Offline uffda udfa  
#18 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2014 11:05:34 AM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 128
Applause Received: 133

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post

Positive. Sterling Sharpe embargoed the media as a rookie. He never spoke to them.

EDIT: Here's a little taste of just how bad Sterling Sharpe was perceived...I have to type it out because I can't cut and paste from the link... From:

Packers by the Numbers: Jersey Numbers and the Players who Wore Them
By John Maxymuk

When Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Columnist Bud Lea was asked who were the biggest jerks he dealt with in his nearly 50 years covering the Packers, he rated Sterling Sharpe number one.

Edited by user Sunday, June 8, 2014 11:24:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline gbguy20  
#19 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2014 11:36:21 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 284

http://leftoverhotdog.co...sharpe-ass-of-asses.html

"To say former USC and NFL standout wide receiver Sterling Sharpe is a jerk is like saying New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick is curt. It’s accurate, but it doesn’t begin to describe the depths of self-righteousness their egos have plumbed."

check this out
call me Dan
Offline uffda udfa  
#20 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2014 11:43:09 AM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
http://leftoverhotdog.com/articles/football/sterling-sharpe-ass-of-asses.html

"To say former USC and NFL standout wide receiver Sterling Sharpe is a jerk is like saying New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick is curt. It’s accurate, but it doesn’t begin to describe the depths of self-righteousness their egos have plumbed."

check this out

LOL! I read that piece! Also, I read an excerpt from another book... it said Sterling who was famous for being a dick when approached for an autograph would come in every week to bags full of mail and post cards. He would sit at his locker and sign every single request he received. The writer of that book said... "That was the enigma that was Sterling Sharpe."

A media member once saw Sterling Sharpe at the SuperBowl and put someone up to saying HEY, THAT'S STERLING SHARPE just so he could say loudly back where Sterling could hear it... WHO CARES? Not a nice thing to do but it shows the level of hatred Sterling inspired.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 6/8/2014(UTC)
Offline gbguy20  
#21 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2014 11:46:55 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 284

LOL! I read that piece! Also, I read an excerpt from another book... it said Sterling who was famous for being a dick when approached for an autograph would come in every week to bags full of mail and post cards. He would sit at his locker and sign every single request he received. The writer of that book said... "That was the enigma that was Sterling Sharpe."

A media member once saw Sterling Sharpe at the SuperBowl and put someone up to saying HEY, THAT'S STERLING SHARPE just so he could say loudly back where Sterling could hear it... WHO CARES? Not a nice thing to do but it shows the level of hatred Sterling inspired.

hauahuaha. if this guy really was such an asshole that he deserved this kind of treatment, then awesome.
call me Dan
Offline OlHoss1884  
#22 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2014 3:56:54 PM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 52
Applause Received: 157

and Ty Cobb was as bad a human being as ever wore cleats but he was a helluva player.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#23 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2014 6:09:33 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 285
Applause Received: 266

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post

Being a dick to the media isn't the same thing as being a dick to the fans.

Probably because he wouldn't give them their free sound bites. The media doesn't like to get off their jelly doughnut filled asses and actually work for a real story. Anyone who makes them do that instead of being human microphone stands is vilified.

He could be the greatest guy in the world, but if he doesn't spoon feed the media their stories for them, we wouldn't know. Because the media would be to busy grinding their axes to tell anyone the truth.

I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline nerdmann  
#24 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2014 6:15:41 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,383
Applause Received: 600

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister Go to Quoted Post
Being a dick to the media isn't the same thing as being a dick to the fans.

Probably because he wouldn't give them their free sound bites. The media doesn't like to get off their jelly doughnut filled asses and actually work for a real story. Anyone who makes them do that instead of being human microphone stands is vilified.

He could be the greatest guy in the world, but if he doesn't spoon feed the media their stories for them, we wouldn't know. Because the media would be to busy grinding their axes to tell anyone the truth.

As I recall, Sterling felt that the local media had douchebagged him as a rookie, so he only spoke to national media after that.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#25 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2014 6:24:00 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
As I recall, Sterling felt that the local media had douchebagged him as a rookie, so he only spoke to national media after that.

That is they way I understood it.

I never heard a fan say he was a jerk. Only the media.

Offline uffda udfa  
#26 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2014 9:00:29 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

That is they way I understood it.

I never heard a fan say he was a jerk. Only the media.

You must've not read the link posted.

His own teammates didn't like him and were glad when he was gone. I think that says a lot.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#27 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2014 5:23:18 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

You know those stories you hear about where kids offer their bike to the Packers players to ride to practice? I was one of those kids. Sterling Sharpe was my favorite Packers player at the time and I caught up to him and asked if he could sign a card I had. I believe it was his '89 SCORE card. I thought it was strange that no one was really around STERLING SHARPE. I thought it was my lucky day. Anyhow, he had his pads, helmet and cleats in his hands and said something like sorry kid hands full. I offered to carry his helmet or pads or anything to no avail. I wouldn't say he was a jerk about it, but I remember at the time I was devastated. All I wanted was some ink on a card that would have taken him 30 seconds at most.

I learned later he didn't like signing things because people were selling them. So I kind of understood, but my gosh, I was like 12 or something. When I played ball and was WR, I was Sterling Sharpe. Then on the flip side, he was probably alone because everyone but ignorant me knew he didn't stop to sign things. And if he stopped to sign for me, then there would have been an even larger flock of people surrounding him.

As for his disdain towards the media. The media is at fault that. They took words of his, twisted them around and took him completely out of context. He vowed not to talk to the media ever again. Then after I think it was the Lions/Packers playoff game where he caught a 60 (or something) yard bomb to win the game he went to the podium. No one could believe Sterling Sharpe was at the podium and no one asked a question.

I think Sterling Sharpe was an amazing WR, but I have to stay with my Javon Walker choice. Watching him jump to grab a ball out of the air so gracefully was just a pure pleasure.
UserPostedImage
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#28 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2014 6:42:51 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
You know those stories you hear about where kids offer their bike to the Packers players to ride to practice? I was one of those kids. Sterling Sharpe was my favorite Packers player at the time and I caught up to him and asked if he could sign a card I had. I believe it was his '89 SCORE card. I thought it was strange that no one was really around STERLING SHARPE. I thought it was my lucky day. Anyhow, he had his pads, helmet and cleats in his hands and said something like sorry kid hands full. I offered to carry his helmet or pads or anything to no avail. I wouldn't say he was a jerk about it, but I remember at the time I was devastated. All I wanted was some ink on a card that would have taken him 30 seconds at most.

I learned later he didn't like signing things because people were selling them. So I kind of understood, but my gosh, I was like 12 or something. When I played ball and was WR, I was Sterling Sharpe. Then on the flip side, he was probably alone because everyone but ignorant me knew he didn't stop to sign things. And if he stopped to sign for me, then there would have been an even larger flock of people surrounding him.

As for his disdain towards the media. The media is at fault that. They took words of his, twisted them around and took him completely out of context. He vowed not to talk to the media ever again. Then after I think it was the Lions/Packers playoff game where he caught a 60 (or something) yard bomb to win the game he went to the podium. No one could believe Sterling Sharpe was at the podium and no one asked a question.

I think Sterling Sharpe was an amazing WR, but I have to stay with my Javon Walker choice. Watching him jump to grab a ball out of the air so gracefully was just a pure pleasure.

Sharpe bowled in a league with some guys I worked with. I asked them if Sterling was like what the media said. They said not at all. If you respected his privacy. But he could be very firm about it if you crossed the line. Not a jerk, just firm like he was with you.

After what the media did to him and they way he cut them off after it, I find it hard to believe any article about him. I have heard stories about him being cold and distant to people. But I haven't heard any one say he was a jerk to them personally.

Offline sschind  
#29 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2014 9:10:34 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 412

Sharpe bowled in a league with some guys I worked with. I asked them if Sterling was like what the media said. They said not at all. If you respected his privacy. But he could be very firm about it if you crossed the line. Not a jerk, just firm like he was with you.

After what the media did to him and they way he cut them off after it, I find it hard to believe any article about him. I have heard stories about him being cold and distant to people. But I haven't heard any one say he was a jerk to them personally.

There is a huge difference between telling a fan no when you are approached while out to dinner with your family and telling a 12 year old kid no while walking to practice. A kid asking for an autograph in the latter situation is not crossing the line.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline nerdmann  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:17:40 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,383
Applause Received: 600

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
There is a huge difference between telling a fan no when you are approached while out to dinner with your family and telling a 12 year old kid no while walking to practice. A kid asking for an autograph in the latter situation is not crossing the line.

As I understood it, kids were then turning around and selling the autographed cards.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rss Feed