Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 9:44:27 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,035
Applause Received: 1,472

KFFL wrote:
The Green Bay Packers are not expected to re-sign impending free-agent OT Marshall Newhouse this ...

oh no. how will they ever get along?

You can tell this was a internet story. A newspaper would not waste the ink or paper for this.

UserPostedImage

Offline RaiderPride  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 10:52:48 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 114
Applause Received: 204

I get it WPR. I appreciate you as a poster here. You are one of the best.

Good point, however remember. How many FIFTH Rounders (Overall in any draft year.) make a huge impact in the NFL?

If I was to guarantee that in this years draft Ted's FIFTH ROUND PICK would be on the roster and a contributor to the team for the next 3 years, play in 47 games, and start in 31 games..

If Teds fifth round pick this year accomplished that how many members here on PackersHome would consider it a wasted 5th round draft pick?

I wish Marshal the best.. He will contribute to some team.

Message modified by user Friday, January 24, 2014 11:04:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 1/25/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 6:22:26 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,630
Applause Received: 654

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride Go to Quoted Post

Good point, however remember. How many FIFTH Rounders (Overall in any draft year.) make a huge impact in the NFL?

If I was to guarantee that in this years draft Ted's FIFTH ROUND PICK would be on the roster and a contributor to the team for the next 3 years, play in 47 games, and start in 31 games..

If Teds fifth round pick this year accomplished that how many members here on PackersHome would consider it a wasted 5th round draft pick?

Dude started at LT for two years for one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history. Even now, I bet he's way better on the L side than on the R.

That said, looks like we've got some guys.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline play2win  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 7:23:54 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Good.
Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 6:44:43 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

Actually, don't we kind of owe Newhouse some kudos? Don't get me wrong, he is a subpar player in this league, be he did step up and play when we didn't have any other options. Plus, we paid him next to nothing at premium price position. Thanks Marshall Newhouse for not allowing our QB to be killed.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 3 applause.
Bigbyfan on 1/25/2014(UTC), nerdmann on 1/25/2014(UTC), gbguy20 on 1/26/2014(UTC)
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 7:54:41 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 357
Applause Received: 440

UserPostedImage

Here we see the suspect flee the scene of the crime
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DakotaT on 1/25/2014(UTC), wpr on 1/25/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 10:12:05 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride Go to Quoted Post

Well said RP. I really didn't mean any disrespect to Marshall. He did fill in when GB was in a pinch.

What I meant was with Sherrod, Bulaga, Bakhtiari and Barclay ahead of him on the depth chart it isn't very likely he will be back.

There is a high probability that GB drafts another lineman in the draft. That person could be in front of Newhouse as well. If for no other reason than money. Most likely Newhouse would like to have a contract that is more than what a 5th round rookie is offered.

Trotter, Van Roten and Lane Taylor might be considered before him even though they play on the interior line positions.

What I meant is there are so many reasons to at least assume he won't be resigned that it seems like a waste of printers ink to say so. With the advent of the internet these kind of somewhat obvious stories appear because they can waste time on them.

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 10:13:47 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Dude started at LT for two years for one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history. Even now, I bet he's way better on the L side than on the R.

That said, looks like we've got some guys.

my point exactly. We have some guys. He is expendable.

UserPostedImage

Mucky Tundra on 1/25/2014(UTC)
Offline CaliforniaCheez  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:33:13 AM(UTC)
CaliforniaCheez

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 132

1) Players are only on the Packers until better is acquired.

2) Newhouse would be the 4th tackle next season and unless Sherrod salvage is 5th. Don't be surprised if paragraph #4 below happens.

3) The only concern on the line now is grooming a back up Center. There are the 5 current starters, Bulaga, Sherrod and some development players. Bulaga, Barclay, can play guard and Lang can play Tackle.

4) There is always some player that develops fast that they seem to find.

5) There are desperate teams that will pay Newhouse more money than the Packers.

blank
Offline Wade  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:49:56 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 678
Applause Received: 698

I don't expect Newhouse back either. I really thought he would develop more, but like other Packer linemen not named Sitton, his best turned out to be mediocre/serviceable. He's an okay backup, but not more.

Unfortunately, when it comes to Packer OL not named Sitton, there's not a one of them that has consistently shown they would be other than a backup for a good OL.

How mediocre are the Packer OL not named Sitton ? You could replace any one of them with Mrs. Colledge and there wouldn't be a significant change in quality.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr on 1/28/2014(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:34:17 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
I don't expect Newhouse back either. I really thought he would develop more, but like other Packer linemen not named Sitton, his best turned out to be mediocre/serviceable. He's an okay backup, but not more.

Unfortunately, when it comes to Packer OL not named Sitton, there's not a one of them that has consistently shown they would be other than a backup for a good OL.

How mediocre are the Packer OL not named Sitton ? You could replace any one of them with Mrs. Colledge and there wouldn't be a significant change in quality.

I don't know Wade. TJ Lang has saved our bacon on numerous occasions. Bulaga was no slouch either when he was healthy. I think Bakhtiari and Tretter could come on next season. We may be better than we might think here. And, EDS played fairly well in his first year as a full-time starter at C. If they re-sign him, which I think they should, we might be looking pretty good on OL.

I have a feeling Bakhtiari will be a better player next season. I thought he did pretty well for a 4th Round rookie this year.

As for Newhouse, I really liked him when he came in for Clifton and Bulaga and played fairly well in 2011, starting 13 games. The problem is he seems to have gone down hill from there. This is a player who did not improve his play, but got worse. that was a surprise to me, for a guy who was part of an undefeated TCU team, with a very solid college resume playing LT.
Offline steveishere  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:12:53 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 965

Yeah Lang is pretty clearly an above average quality starter at G. Really the only times he hasn't looked like that is when he's had to play C or T. There are different levels of quality besides "mediocre" and "dominant". An offensive lines quality is representative of a whole instead of individuals moreso than most position groups. An o-line of all Lang quality players would be one of the best in the league.
DoddPower on 1/28/2014(UTC)
Offline Bigbyfan  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:25:25 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Applause Given: 26
Applause Received: 81

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post

ProFootballFocus had EDS ranked as the 8th best center in the league this past season. He was even ranked 4th in pass protection. Also Bulaga has shown he can be good/great RT, and the jury is still out on what he can do on the left side. There are plenty of teams that would happy to have Lang as one of their starting guards too.

To say Sitton is our only quality lineman is not true at all.
blank
DoddPower on 1/28/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:55:22 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,630
Applause Received: 654

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post

As for Newhouse, I really liked him when he came in for Clifton and Bulaga and played fairly well in 2011, starting 13 games. The problem is he seems to have gone down hill from there. This is a player who did not improve his play, but got worse. that was a surprise to me, for a guy who was part of an undefeated TCU team, with a very solid college resume playing LT.

Newhouse might be better on the L side. He might also be better when he gets regular playing time.

Fact is, we've got guys who are better than him.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Yerko  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:03:26 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 152
Applause Received: 248

Originally Posted by: CaliforniaCheez Go to Quoted Post
1) Players are only on the Packers until better is acquired.

2) Newhouse would be the 4th tackle next season and unless Sherrod salvage is 5th. Don't be surprised if paragraph #4 below happens.
- Next year, Sherrod would easily replace Newhouse at the 4 spot and might even challenge a starting position next season. Its a reach but I wouldn't put Newhouse in front of him.

3) The only concern on the line now is grooming a back up Center. There are the 5 current starters, Bulaga, Sherrod and some development players. Bulaga, Barclay, can play guard and Lang can play Tackle.
-Let's not mess with what the Packers have going for them. You leave Lang at RG and anchor down the line with him, EDS and Sitton together. The tackle positions are the only positions that should be up for grabs next season and we should all be okay with that as each guy has proven they can start there. Lang at tackle would be a bad idea.

4) There is always some player that develops fast that they seem to find.
- Like Bahktairi?

5) There are desperate teams that will pay Newhouse more money than the Packers.
- I agree but Newhouse is nothing more than an emergency back-up to a majority of the NFL. Do you have some teams in mind that would pay him to come start?

Glad the Packers won't be signing him back. They have a good thing going for them next season at the LT and RT positions. The battle at those two positions will be something good to watch next season!
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed