Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 9:52:43 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

CNN wrote:
Health care manufacturer Johnson & Johnson and its subsidiaries will pay more than $2.2 billion to resolve criminal and civil investigations over allegations that they marketed three drugs for uses that were never approved, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said Monday in Washington.

The settlements also cover claims that the companies gave "kickbacks" to physicians and to nursing home pharmacies to promote the drugs' usage.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline wpr  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 10:42:26 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

My wife worked at a few Dr offices back in the 80's. Drug reps were always extremely generous with small gifts and samples and stuff with not only for the doctors but the staff as well. There never was a requirement to use the drugs from that company but it was known if you like this guy there was a tendency to prescribe their meds.

I remember Rhonda was leaving after our second child. Her last day was the same day the the rep for Mead Johnson (not affiliated with J&J) came by. They make Enfamil. Our kids were allergic to milk. They were the only company that had the type of food and it was very expensive. I don't remember if it was the soy based one or not.

First let me say my wife did nurse and did so for a while with both of the kids but she needed to supplement their diet as well. This rep loaded her trunk with everything he had with him and gave her his number if she wanted more. It was thousands of dollars of infant food. He knew she wasn't returning to work. He knew there was no benefit by giving it to her. He was just a good man who knew he could make a difference and he did so.

As I type this I seem to recall with the expiration dates it was more food than our son could eat so we had to give a bunch of it to other mothers as well.

Pharmaceutical companies do some things that are wrong I have no doubt but they and their people do some good as well.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
Cheesey on 11/4/2013(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 4:22:20 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 412

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
My wife worked at a few Dr offices back in the 80's. Drug reps were always extremely generous with small gifts and samples and stuff with not only for the doctors but the staff as well. There never was a requirement to use the drugs from that company but it was known if you like this guy there was a tendency to prescribe their meds.

I remember Rhonda was leaving after our second child. Her last day was the same day the the rep for Mead Johnson (not affiliated with J&J) came by. They make Enfamil. Our kids were allergic to milk. They were the only company that had the type of food and it was very expensive. I don't remember if it was the soy based one or not.

First let me say my wife did nurse and did so for a while with both of the kids but she needed to supplement their diet as well. This rep loaded her trunk with everything he had with him and gave her his number if she wanted more. It was thousands of dollars of infant food. He knew she wasn't returning to work. He knew there was no benefit by giving it to her. He was just a good man who knew he could make a difference and he did so.

As I type this I seem to recall with the expiration dates it was more food than our son could eat so we had to give a bunch of it to other mothers as well.

Pharmaceutical companies do some things that are wrong I have no doubt but they and their people do some good as well.

But no doubt you and your wife told many many people about how good this salesman and thus this company was to you. That is the sort of word of mouth advertising that money can't buy. I'm not saying the guy didn't have a good heart and that all he was thinking about was how his act would benefit his company but I am sure his acts did benefit his company.

I do agree with you however that there are companies and individuals who do good deeds simply for the benefit of others. However, most goods deeds do reap some benefit unless it is a totally anonymous deed.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 5:11:09 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
But no doubt you and your wife told many many people about how good this salesman and thus this company was to you. That is the sort of word of mouth advertising that money can't buy. I'm not saying the guy didn't have a good heart and that all he was thinking about was how his act would benefit his company but I am sure his acts did benefit his company.

I do agree with you however that there are companies and individuals who do good deeds simply for the benefit of others. However, most goods deeds do reap some benefit unless it is a totally anonymous deed.

you are right we did. If nothing else we had to explain to the other mothers why we had so many bottles and cans to give them.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline steveishere  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 6:31:23 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 877

Nobody goes to jail and they are probably allowed to write off a huge chunk of that on taxes. It won't stop these companies from continuing to do stuff like this.
Rss Feed