You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:30:15 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,425
Applause Received: 1,204

WTMJ wrote:
Two helmet-to-helmet hits on Green Bay Packers running backs have Washington safety Brandon Meriweather a little lighter in the pocketbook.
Tom Pelissero
Confirmed #Redskins safety Brandon Meriweather fined $42K (on twitter).

Edited by user Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:21:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: I can't edit correctly when on the phone

"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Sponsor
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:53:21 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Applause Given: 214
Applause Received: 332

I would say he should be suspended as long as Lacy is out, but he will already be out that long.

Will be interested to see if he learned anything when he does get back.
“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:23:11 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,425
Applause Received: 1,204

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
I would say he should be suspended as long as Lacy is out, but he will already be out that long.

Will be interested to see if he learned anything when he does get back.

doubtful.

UserPostedImage
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline steveishere  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:23:34 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Applause Given: 27
Applause Received: 601

I guess they figured the suspension Starks gave him was enough.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Zero2Cool on 9/18/2013(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 9/18/2013(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:25:43 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 167
Applause Received: 328

"punished"
UserPostedImage
Offline Dulak  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:08:55 PM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 122
Applause Received: 80

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
"punished"

ya nice! - Glad at least he got a fine even thou no penalty was called ... man just watched the san fran seattle game ... just as rough of a game but this time san fran was on the other end.

Offline K_Buz  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:09:21 PM(UTC)
K_Buz

Applause Given: 2
Applause Received: 19

Slap on the wrist. Nothing in the NFL will ever change with these types of penalties. Two perfect shots of Meriweather targeting the head of a runner, and succeeding, and all they can come up with is 42K?
Offline mi_keys  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:15:34 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 142
Applause Received: 226

He's been fined $40K for a helmet-to-helmet hit before (after winning an appeal to decrease the fine from $50K)... that extra $2K on a 7 digit salary will learn him!
Born and bred a cheesehead
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 9/18/2013(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:56:56 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Applause Given: 351
Applause Received: 210

The victim is a Packer in this case, so I'm all for as heavy a punishment as possible, but sometime, the shoe will be on the other foot - or even just somebody hitting whoever the hell it is.

Call me evil; Call me old-fashioned; Whatever, but I just can't get into this whole mentality of no helmet to helmet/put a skirt on the QBs/ don't hit a "defenseless" receiver/ all that silly crap.

These guys get paid multiple millions to play a fun game that almost any of us would give almost anything to be good enough to play. Part of what they get paid so much for IMNHO, is the risk - and really it is a damn small risk even with helmet to helmet contact - of getting their brains scrambled. If they aren't up to that risk, let them quit the game and give up that HUGE money they get paid.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline steveishere  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:06:19 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
The victim is a Packer in this case, so I'm all for as heavy a punishment as possible, but sometime, the shoe will be on the other foot - or even just somebody hitting whoever the hell it is.

Call me evil; Call me old-fashioned; Whatever, but I just can't get into this whole mentality of no helmet to helmet/put a skirt on the QBs/ don't hit a "defenseless" receiver/ all that silly crap.

These guys get paid multiple millions to play a fun game that almost any of us would give almost anything to be good enough to play. Part of what they get paid so much for IMNHO, is the risk - and really it is a damn small risk even with helmet to helmet contact - of getting their brains scrambled. If they aren't up to that risk, let them quit the game and give up that HUGE money they get paid.

Letting them take the risk cost the guys who write the checks a lot of money. Whether anyone likes it or not that = change. Also the truth is we don't really know that much about the human brain and how impacts like that effect it. Unless you are some sort of brain expert you aren't really very qualified to say it's a "really damn small risk".
Offline musccy  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:14:37 PM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 124
Applause Received: 115

Originally Posted by: K_Buz Go to Quoted Post
Slap on the wrist. Nothing in the NFL will ever change with these types of penalties. Two perfect shots of Meriweather targeting the head of a runner, and succeeding, and all they can come up with is 42K?

As was stated above, I think the NFL took into account that he sort of suspended himself already.

Offline sschind  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:47:48 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 78
Applause Received: 313

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Also the truth is we don't really know that much about the human brain and how impacts like that effect it.

The truth is football is a dangerous sport and they knew that when they signed on and that is all that matters so screw you and your we don't really know that much about the human brain
crap.

That was sarcasm by the way
I fully respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline steveishere  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:48:11 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
The truth is football is a dangerous sport and they knew that when they signed on and that is all that matters so screw you and your we don't really know that much about the human brain
crap.

That sarcasm makes me so mad you jerk!

Wanna Box?
Offline DakotaT  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:35:37 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 570
Applause Received: 1,191

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
crap.

Football is dangerous enough without a bunch of jackoffs intentionally trying to injure one another. Merriweather should have been banned a whole season. That jackass James Harrison should have had a lifetime ban with all his cheap shots.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:44:17 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Applause Given: 351
Applause Received: 210

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Letting them take the risk cost the guys who write the checks a lot of money. Whether anyone likes it or not that = change. Also the truth is we don't really know that much about the human brain and how impacts like that effect it. Unless you are some sort of brain expert you aren't really very qualified to say it's a "really damn small risk".

I'll say the same thing sschind said, except it AIN'T sarcasm. I don't have any sympathy for anybody makes who knows how many million $ playing a fun game KNOWING he is risking messing up his future life from brain injury. I also have little or no sympathy for the people writing the checks for those salaries (even less for the God damned lawyers and agents sticking their noses into the controversy).

As for the "small risk" you take the sum total of all NFL players and the sum total of all significant long term brain problems as a fraction of that, and hell yeah it is small. Furthermore, you take the sum total of all head first hits or even helmet to helmet hits, and the sum total of all even short term brain injuries - concussions as a fraction of that, and I'd venture to say that is a pretty small fraction also.

Besides, as I said, anybody not willing to take the risk can always quit and pass up that HUGE money for playing a fun game. I don't see very many doing that. Therefore, why make it less risky just because some namby pamby fools get all sanctimonious about the rare consequences?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.