Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 7:03:01 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

Who are the best players of those who make up our front 7 and actually get consistent playing time. Rank them from top to bottom.

Hawk, B. Jones, Matthews, Perry, Daniels, D. Jones, Neal, Wilson, Jolly, Raji, Pickett
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline gbguy20  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 7:47:45 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 280

Matthews, Pickett, Jolly, B. Jones, Raji, Hawk, Wilson, Daniels, Perry, Neal, D. Jones
call me Dan
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 7:49:42 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,745
Applause Received: 1,313

better at what? run defense? passing rushing? pass coverage? overall?
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 7:51:41 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
better at what? run defense? passing rushing? pass coverage? overall?

Who does their job the best.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 8:35:35 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 224

Do we factor in expectations? Or how much they are paid?

Matthews is obviously top dog by any standard. Beyond that, it could go a lot of ways. Using "overall" and performance this season as the standard, I'd rank them like this after CM3:

Jolly, Perry, B. Jones, Pickett, Daniels, Hawk, Neal, Raji, Wilson, D. Jones
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 9:56:48 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Do we factor in expectations? Or how much they are paid?

Matthews is obviously top dog by any standard. Beyond that, it could go a lot of ways. Using "overall" and performance this season as the standard, I'd rank them like this after CM3:

Jolly, Perry, B. Jones, Pickett, Daniels, Hawk, Neal, Raji, Wilson, D. Jones

No expectations or salary. Just who you think is playing the best.
UserPostedImage
Offline nyrpack  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:07:07 AM(UTC)
nyrpack

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 41

there all stopping the run very well, if only our cbs can step it up id be happy !!
jimmy b.
Offline Dulak  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:23:45 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 146
Applause Received: 94

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
Who are the best players of those who make up our front 7 and actually get consistent playing time. Rank them from top to bottom.

Hawk, B. Jones, Matthews, Perry, Daniels, D. Jones, Neal, Wilson, Jolly, Raji, Pickett

err sorry guys I dont like brad jones and wish youd stop ranking him high ...

He's missed some big stuff and not very good at the point of attack.

CM3, raji, pickett, jolly, perry, neal, hawk, daniels, d. jones, wilson, ... and bad jones.

Alls I know is something has changed with our run defense this year; not sure if its the training with the QB option or capers scheming or just better guys up front. You could see it in the preseason games and now in the regular season. San fran, washington (most running yards last year) ...

Im curious how the neal OLB experiment is going to go ... and then how D jones is doing ... the only tv time I see of him is him getting hurt.
I hope we can work in our other ILBs that we kept this season ... because Ive never been impressed with ours - except bishop (whom was outstanding). Good thing about hawk I will say he is almost enver hurt ... but always hate to see him cover - its a crap shoot.

Offline buckeyepackfan  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:22:26 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 247
Applause Received: 365

This is easy, :)

1A. Hawk
1A. B. Jones
1A. Matthews
1A. Wilson
1A. Jolly
1A. Raji
1A. Pickett
1B. Perry
1B. Daniels
1B. D. Jones
1B. Neal
“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
thanks Post received 1 applause.
PackFanWithTwins on 9/17/2013(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:55:00 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
This is easy, :)

1A. Hawk
1A. B. Jones
1A. Matthews
1A. Wilson
1A. Jolly
1A. Raji
1A. Pickett
1B. Perry
1B. Daniels
1B. D. Jones
1B. Neal

Now the only question is, does that mean they are all bad or good.
UserPostedImage
Offline steveishere  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:29:10 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 38
Applause Received: 792

Clay, Raji, Brad Jones, Daniels, Neal, Hawk, Pickett, Jolly, Perry
Offline wpr  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:44:12 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,745
Applause Received: 1,313

Who does their job the best.

BTW, I didn't vote because I have only seen a little more than 1/2 of a game. I am in no position to say.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline porky88  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:38:29 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 177
Applause Received: 335

Clay Matthews -- Pretty self-explanatory
B.J. Raji -- A bit underappreciated. Draft status inflated expectations. People wanted Warren Sapp 2.0. Instead, they got a solid player capable of flashing high-level play.
Ryan Pickett -- Never much of a pass rusher, but arguably the best run defender on the d-line. Age hasn’t slowed him down, yet.
Johnny Jolly -- Based on the first two games, yes, Jolly’s No. 4. He's been outstanding versus the run and the d-line has an attitude because of him. With the exception of Matthews, he’s the most physical player on this list.
A.J. Hawk -- The Raji of LBs. His draft status inflated people's expectations. He's a year-to-year anomaly.
Brad Jones -- Has played very well since becoming Green Bay's starting ILB. He's decent in coverage and is seldom out of position. He’s not far behind Hawk.
Mike Daniels -- Played well last week. I think he'll be a vital part of the rotation for a coupe more years. A better pass rusher than run defender.
Nick Perry -- We still need to see more rush out of him, but he sets the edge very, very well. He’s a significant upgrade over Erik Walden.
Mike Neal -- I still need to see more of him as an OLB. He made the pick last week, but that was poor play by Washington's wide receiver. I like him as a rusher, though. He could ascend on this list in a couple of weeks.
C.J. Wilson -- The opposite of Daniels. He’s isn’t much of a rusher, but a competent run defender.
Datone Jones -- Has done nothing in two games. Injuries might be bothering him, but at the moment, two steps behind Daniels and a baby step behind Wilson.

It’s hard to get a read on some of the younger players after just two weeks, so it'll be interesting how some of those players develop over the course of 2013.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 9/18/2013(UTC), Zero2Cool on 9/18/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:05:36 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,294
Applause Received: 572

Originally Posted by: porky88 Go to Quoted Post
Clay Matthews -- Pretty self-explanatory
B.J. Raji -- A bit underappreciated. Draft status inflated expectations. People wanted Warren Sapp 2.0. Instead, they got a solid player capable of flashing high-level play.
Ryan Pickett -- Never much of a pass rusher, but arguably the best run defender on the d-line. Age hasn’t slowed him down, yet.
Johnny Jolly -- Based on the first two games, yes, Jolly’s No. 4. He's been outstanding versus the run and the d-line has an attitude because of him. With the exception of Matthews, he’s the most physical player on this list.
A.J. Hawk -- The Raji of LBs. His draft status inflated people's expectations. He's a year-to-year anomaly.
Brad Jones -- Has played very well since becoming Green Bay's starting ILB. He's decent in coverage and is seldom out of position. He’s not far behind Hawk.
Mike Daniels -- Played well last week. I think he'll be a vital part of the rotation for a coupe more years. A better pass rusher than run defender.
Nick Perry -- We still need to see more rush out of him, but he sets the edge very, very well. He’s a significant upgrade over Erik Walden.
Mike Neal -- I still need to see more of him as an OLB. He made the pick last week, but that was poor play by Washington's wide receiver. I like him as a rusher, though. He could ascend on this list in a couple of weeks.
C.J. Wilson -- The opposite of Daniels. He’s isn’t much of a rusher, but a competent run defender.
Datone Jones -- Has done nothing in two games. Injuries might be bothering him, but at the moment, two steps behind Daniels and a baby step behind Wilson.

It’s hard to get a read on some of the younger players after just two weeks, so it'll be interesting how some of those players develop over the course of 2013.

I'd take Raji over Sapp anyday.

As for Perry, keep in mind, he's only played in 8 games.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Wade  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:25:55 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 629
Applause Received: 647

Matthews, Pickett, Jolly, Raji, Daniels (tie), Neal (tie), Hawk, Perry, D. Jones, Wilson, B Jones

The just darn good:
Matthews. Duh.
Pickett. Consistently underrated. IMO second most important player on defense period.

Solid with upside:
Jolly. There's just something special there.
Raji. Count me among the unappreciators that porky noted. IMO just as Pickett is consistently underrated, Raji is consistently overrated. I will say that he has looked better than I expected in games 1-2 this year. He can dominate, but return of inconsistency is a worry.

Solid:
Daniels and Neal (tie). Like Raji, more than I expected in games 1-2. I like Daniels more, but I couldn't say why at this point. Toss-up. The level you want "depth/rotation" players at.
Hawk. I wish he weren't the starter, but, again, he's solid enough for depth/rotation. Shares part of responsibility for team's softness over the middle in passing game.

I think there's a gap between the above and the rest. Not saying below are "bad", but either they haven't developed enough or I wish there were better alternatives.

Incomplete:
Perry: Haven't seen enough to know yet. Here for me because of his draft position more than anything. Understand why people might be excited about him, but potential alone doesn't do much for me.
D Jones: See Perry.

Need better:
Wilson: Better against run than pass. Inactive list/emergency quality to me. 2nd-tier backup guy.
B. Jones: People liking Raji I understand; don't agree, but I understand. I just don't see what others see. But I didn't get the big contract when it was given, and I don't get it now. I think he's a liability in coverage, and part of the reason I have trouble being optimistic about the Packers getting better in pass defense over the middle. Everyone blames safety play, and clearly that's subpar, too, but I think LBs are a key part of the failure. Frankly, I think our best ILB pass defender right now is Francois, and that is telling. Another 2nd-tier backup guy.

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 9/18/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed