Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#16 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 6:19:09 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,891
Applause Received: 1,400

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Re: importance of rivers:

I can probably name about 20-25 of the Asian rivers without much trouble, but given that I teach a course that currently emphasizes the economic history of the "Indian Ocean Economy", I should know at least that many.

The reason they are important? The ability to produce and trade is very much a function of navigable water. The more miles one has the ability to move a boat up or a barge down, the more you can bring resources together to produce more valuable goods and the more goods you can sell profitably to buyers.

32 rivers at least 1000 miles long means a lot of cheaper production and trade.

Of course what I didn't ask, because I just realized I don't know the answer myself and I should, is how many of the miles of those 32 rivers are navigable. Damn. Another task to complete before term starts.

Oh, yes, re: fast food: If you think about it, the ability of McDonalds, et al to maintain a consistent quality across billions of burgers/fries is pretty darn amazing. IMO.

IMO, the McDonalds fry, when hot (not always, alas) and perfectly salted (virtually always) is one of the great comfort foods of all time, right up there with macaroni and cheese and KFC buckets of chicken.

I also like the new bacon habanero ranch quarter pounder and the McChicken, which IMO beats the crap out of all chicken breast sandwiches sold at fast food restaurants not called Chick-Fil-A. Which last we can't get in Iowa and it really POs me.

Some may be "navigable" but that is a misnomer at best. Many of the rivers in the heart of Russia flow north. They of course freeze like many other rivers. Like the others the ice melts in the south first. So you have water flowing north into frozen areas. It over flows the banks and creates a giant marsh. It is only late in the summer that the rivers thaw completely. By then the water level drops and they are still not reliable.

because of this I really don't pay much attention to many of the rivers as they add little economic value.

Some of the other major rivers had their own flooding problems like the Ganges, Yellow and Yangtze.

I remember reading about problems with western Russian rivers but I don't remember what the problems were or if it was the Don, Ob or Volga or some other one.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
Wade on 7/20/2013(UTC)
Offline OlHoss1884  
#17 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:30:37 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 53
Applause Received: 158

The 1884 Providence Grays featured the first player to use a glove in the field regularly (Jack Farrell) the last player to play regularly without one (Ambidextrous Jerry Denny), the first player to use sunglasses in the field (Paul Hines) and two of the longest single season record holders for pitching (Charley Sweeney was the first ever to strike out 19, a mark which stood until Roger Clemons whiffed 20 in 1986) and Charley Radbourn's recognized record of 60 wins still stands. (59-12 with 1 save by modern scorekeeping.)

At the end of the year, in an exhibition series against the New York Metropolitans of the American Association, the Grays were also the first winner of the "World Series" before the modern version of it began in 1903.

1884 also saw the first black player in the Major Leagues (Fleet Walker of Toledo) and the single season HR record (Ned Williamson's 27 for Chicago) which stood before it was eventually broken by Babe Ruth. Incidentally, the Career Home Run record before Ruth was held by Roger Conner who played for the Giants in 1884, who slugged 138. As it was the first year overhand pitching was allowed, something like 4 of the top six single season strikeout totals ever occurred that year. (Radbourn was second in the league with 441).
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline Rockmolder  
#18 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:04:48 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 147
Applause Received: 248

Tell this to any mother and they'll throw a right fit.

The sugar buzz is nothing more than a fable. The mental part, where the parents tell the children that they'll get too zappy if they'll drink too much coke, makes for them fulfilling that role. The sugar itsself has absolutely nothing to do with it. Or at least, that's what quite a few studies suggest.

Not really a face you where searching for in true statistics and years, I reckon, but interesting nontheless.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Wade on 7/20/2013(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#19 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:44:49 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 417
Applause Received: 249

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder Go to Quoted Post
Tell this to any mother and they'll throw a right fit.

The sugar buzz is nothing more than a fable. The mental part, where the parents tell the children that they'll get too zappy if they'll drink too much coke, makes for them fulfilling that role. The sugar itsself has absolutely nothing to do with it. Or at least, that's what quite a few studies suggest.

Not really a face you where searching for in true statistics and years, I reckon, but interesting nontheless.

hahahaha I always suspected that. The nutrition Nazis just trying to make us miserable.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline dfosterf  
#20 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 3:43:17 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 179
Applause Received: 400

Just for you, Texas, even though you probably already know it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...ans_in_the_United_States

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

#21 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 7:29:47 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post

Actually, I didn't specifically know that hahahaha, but I'm not surprised. I have read a LOT about atrocities, massacres, and genocide of tribes that had nothing whatsoever to do with whites. I suppose if you go far enough back, you could even find examples of where they conquered the other tribe and ate them hahahaha.

Offline dfosterf  
#22 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 7:58:11 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Has anyone in human history besides the Americans ever fought a war where one of the stated objectives was to end slavery?

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

#23 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:49:20 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Has anyone in human history besides the Americans ever fought a war where one of the stated objectives was to end slavery?

Excellent Point - and lest the disparagers come back with the idea that nobody else ever had slavery to end, a big no way to that. I understand it still goes on some places in Africa, maybe elsewhere too. The prissy Eurowimps of that era benefited from slavery and sided with the South in the Civil War.

Offline dfosterf  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:10:28 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

50 people have been killed by vending machines since 1978. Most are top-heavy, and weigh between 600 and 1100 lbs. It only takes a 20% tilt to topple the average vending machine upon you. If you get hosed by that coke that didn't drop and go to make that shake/tip move, reflect on how embarrassing it is going to be in your St. Peter interview if this happens to you.

Razz

UserPostedImage

Offline Wade  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:45:32 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 668
Applause Received: 671

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Excellent Point - and lest the disparagers come back with the idea that nobody else ever had slavery to end, a big no way to that. I understand it still goes on some places in Africa, maybe elsewhere too. The prissy Eurowimps of that era benefited from slavery and sided with the South in the Civil War.

England:
1772 Somersett's case effectively emancipates all slaves in England.
1827 England abolishes the slave trade throughout its empire.
1833 England abolishes slavery throughout its empire (law takes effect for most of empire in 1834; for lands controlled by East India Company and in Sri Lanka (then known as Ceylon), when those joined the empire in 1840s.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline Wade  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:52:11 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 668
Applause Received: 671

Though to be fair to the Occupants of North America Prior to Europe's Takeover, the slavery they practiced was the traditional one seen in most of human history -- the slavery of enemies taken in battle.

It was the Western hemisphere (everywhere but the USA, mostly on the colonial equivalent of the modern corporation, the sugar plantation) that brought the innovation of multi-generation slavery into being.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline OlHoss1884  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:25:44 PM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 53
Applause Received: 158

It was not illegal to execute a prisoner by burning alive in the US until 1893. The burning alive method of execution wasn't even challenged at the time. It became outlawed in a ruling by the Supreme Court over whether hanging was cruel and unusual, and in ruling that it was, they majority decision mentioned that burning alive wasn't. (The last person actually burned alive for a crime in the US was a slave executed this way in 1830 after being convicted of an alleged rape in SC that year.)
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline wpr  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:19:14 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,891
Applause Received: 1,400

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Though to be fair to the Occupants of North America Prior to Europe's Takeover, the slavery they practiced was the traditional one seen in most of human history -- the slavery of enemies taken in battle.

It was the Western hemisphere (everywhere but the USA, mostly on the colonial equivalent of the modern corporation, the sugar plantation) that brought the innovation of multi-generation slavery into being.

IIRC some/many of the native American slaves acquired rights in their new tribe. Have their on property. Own their own slaves. Married women of the tribe. Had a voice in tribal issues.

A far cry from what happened with Sons of Africa.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Rss Feed