You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Share
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Wade  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 10:59:35 AM(UTC)
Wade

Rank: All Pro

Posts: 5,656
Joined: 8/1/2009(UTC)
Location: nowhere of importance

Applause Given: 563
Applause Received: 589

My first nominee:

There are 32 different rivers in Asia that are at least 1000 miles long.

How many can you name without going to Wikipedia or Google first?

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Sponsor
Offline wpr  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 11:58:10 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Posts: 11,894
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,418
Applause Received: 1,203

That is important?
I was hoping you could tell me why we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway.
Or why our nose runs and our feet smell.

I can probably name 5 or 6 if I take some time to think it over. 10 if I really take a lot of time.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline DoddPower  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 12:55:55 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,582
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,469
Applause Received: 353

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
My first nominee:

There are 32 different rivers in Asia that are at least 1000 miles long.

How many can you name without going to Wikipedia or Google first?




Sticking with that theme, who can name the three oldest rivers in the world, again, without Google? I'm almost certain most people would mistake one or two of them. In fact, it's almost a trick question.

Hint: Who doesn't love new things?


Offline texaspackerbacker  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 1:29:54 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,385
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 349
Applause Received: 210

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
Sticking with that theme, who can name the three oldest rivers in the world, again, without Google? I'm almost certain most people would mistake one or two of them. In fact, it's almost a trick question.

Hint: Who doesn't love new things?




How do you define "oldest"? Geologically? Biblically? By name recorded in history?

I'd go with Nile, Indus, and Tigris/Euphrates - which actually are one, as they empty into the Persian Gulf together.

Off the top of my head, I got 12 Asian rivers - way short of 32.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 1:32:24 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,385
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 349
Applause Received: 210

What I know - and can recite - is the list of ingredients in a Big Mac - although I can't stand to eat any of them other than the two all beef patties and the sesame seed bun.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline DoddPower  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 1:42:44 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,582
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,469
Applause Received: 353

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
How do you define "oldest"? Geologically? Biblically? By name recorded in history?

I'd go with Nile, Indus, and Tigris/Euphrates - which actually are one, as they empty into the Persian Gulf together.

Off the top of my head, I got 12 Asian rivers - way short of 32.




Definitely geologically. It's mostly a trick question because there are many varying opinions and evidence out there. Generally, however, one of them runs through parts of North Carolina, and some even try to argue another that runs through North Carolina as well, but I haven't been as convinced on that one.
Offline DoddPower  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 1:45:29 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,582
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,469
Applause Received: 353

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
What I know - and can recite - is the list of ingredients in a Big Mac - although I can't stand to eat any of them other than the two all beef patties and the sesame seed bun.


Now THAT'S an achievement! Run on down to Wal-Mart for some supplies, grab yourself a Big Mac and a big cup of Starbucks coffee, and eat it on the way home while listening to Fox News Radio/ Rush Limbaugh and you're good to go! Nothing like being a "Good Normal American"!

Applause Big Grin



Offline Cheesey  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 2:17:26 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Posts: 8,552
Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

"Starbucks" coffee????
Now THERE'S a waste of $4.
Heck, go to McDonald's and get a cup of coffee for ONE DOLLAR, that to me tastes better then the over priced bitter Starbucks (or Alterra, or any other over priced lousy tasting coffee).Big Grin
UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 2:26:25 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

Rank: All Pro

United States
Posts: 5,754
Joined: 8/19/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 337

The Big Mac, done well, is awe-inspiring. It's difficult to get a Big Mac and fries done well at the same time. I hate McDonalds as good as the next guy, but let's be fair.

You get a cherry primo Big Mac with fresh fries and all is good in the fast-food-world we live in. lol

I still love the double quarter-pounder-with cheese, comparative to Wendy's and Burger King... It's a lot tougher sandwich to actually fuck up or allow to dry out. I still go to Burger King, as it's a safer bet, day in, day out. I rarely go to McDonalds, you can't trust 'em. The Burger King employees all piss me off, but the end-product I like.

Taco Bell is underappreciated, imo, and how those all-you-can-eat Chinese joints deliver the food they deliver makes me nervous, lol It's mafia related, so I'd watch my pets, lol

Wendy's is pure ass, as is Arby's except that Jomoca shake.

We have a Popeye's Chicken run by thugs. Kind of a frustrating place. For example, they have a tendency to run out of chicken, often. They have everything else, just not the chicken. This can be an issue in a chicken-selling store, my marketing genius buds have informed me... I love everything there, except the human beings actually running things. .

Edited by user Friday, July 19, 2013 2:47:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.



Offline texaspackerbacker  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 4:14:09 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,385
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 349
Applause Received: 210

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
Now THAT'S an achievement! Run on down to Wal-Mart for some supplies, grab yourself a Big Mac and a big cup of Starbucks coffee, and eat it on the way home while listening to Fox News Radio/ Rush Limbaugh and you're good to go! Nothing like being a "Good Normal American"!

Applause Big Grin



I salute you for paying attention to my words hahahaha. As I said, I can't/don't/won't Big Mac or any of those sandwiches with anything other than the plain burger - no crap on it at all - just salt. I also don't drink coffee. They used to talk about a nickel cup of coffee. Obviously those days are gone, but even $1 seems kinda expensive to me. I like Arby's Classic Roast Beef sandwich - plain of course.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#11 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 4:23:12 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,385
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 349
Applause Received: 210

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
Definitely geologically. It's mostly a trick question because there are many varying opinions and evidence out there. Generally, however, one of them runs through parts of North Carolina, and some even try to argue another that runs through North Carolina as well, but I haven't been as convinced on that one.


Interesting. Why are those considered so old?

On the subject of rivers, I know where the Canadian River is - my mother got me on that bit of trivia a long time ago. If you said Canada, you'd be wrong. Where then would the North Canadian River be? Still not Canada - they're both in Oklahoma.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Wade  
#12 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 5:17:03 PM(UTC)
Wade

Rank: All Pro

Posts: 5,656
Joined: 8/1/2009(UTC)
Location: nowhere of importance

Applause Given: 563
Applause Received: 589

Re: importance of rivers:

I can probably name about 20-25 of the Asian rivers without much trouble, but given that I teach a course that currently emphasizes the economic history of the "Indian Ocean Economy", I should know at least that many.

The reason they are important? The ability to produce and trade is very much a function of navigable water. The more miles one has the ability to move a boat up or a barge down, the more you can bring resources together to produce more valuable goods and the more goods you can sell profitably to buyers.

32 rivers at least 1000 miles long means a lot of cheaper production and trade.

Of course what I didn't ask, because I just realized I don't know the answer myself and I should, is how many of the miles of those 32 rivers are navigable. Damn. Another task to complete before term starts.


Oh, yes, re: fast food: If you think about it, the ability of McDonalds, et al to maintain a consistent quality across billions of burgers/fries is pretty darn amazing. IMO.

IMO, the McDonalds fry, when hot (not always, alas) and perfectly salted (virtually always) is one of the great comfort foods of all time, right up there with macaroni and cheese and KFC buckets of chicken.

I also like the new bacon habanero ranch quarter pounder and the McChicken, which IMO beats the crap out of all chicken breast sandwiches sold at fast food restaurants not called Chick-Fil-A. Which last we can't get in Iowa and it really POs me.
None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline dfosterf  
#13 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 5:34:17 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

Rank: All Pro

United States
Posts: 5,754
Joined: 8/19/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 337

You can catch 30 lb. rockfish (striped bass, to us sodbusters) under the Woodrow Wilson bridge when they are running, if you know the baits and techniques. Directly under all those millions of commuters, right there in D.C. , right under I -495.
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.



Offline DoddPower  
#14 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 5:41:00 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,582
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,469
Applause Received: 353

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Interesting. Why are those considered so old?




Well, the Appalachian Mountains are considered some of the oldest mountains in the world, so it makes sense. The New River and the French Broad River both apparently rose with the mountains.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#15 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 5:48:07 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,385
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 349
Applause Received: 210

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Re: importance of rivers:

I can probably name about 20-25 of the Asian rivers without much trouble, but given that I teach a course that currently emphasizes the economic history of the "Indian Ocean Economy", I should know at least that many.

The reason they are important? The ability to produce and trade is very much a function of navigable water. The more miles one has the ability to move a boat up or a barge down, the more you can bring resources together to produce more valuable goods and the more goods you can sell profitably to buyers.

32 rivers at least 1000 miles long means a lot of cheaper production and trade.

Of course what I didn't ask, because I just realized I don't know the answer myself and I should, is how many of the miles of those 32 rivers are navigable. Damn. Another task to complete before term starts.


Oh, yes, re: fast food: If you think about it, the ability of McDonalds, et al to maintain a consistent quality across billions of burgers/fries is pretty darn amazing. IMO.

IMO, the McDonalds fry, when hot (not always, alas) and perfectly salted (virtually always) is one of the great comfort foods of all time, right up there with macaroni and cheese and KFC buckets of chicken.

I also like the new bacon habanero ranch quarter pounder and the McChicken, which IMO beats the crap out of all chicken breast sandwiches sold at fast food restaurants not called Chick-Fil-A. Which last we can't get in Iowa and it really POs me.


I went and looked at my globe, and I saw 8 or 10 others I used to know beyond the 12 rivers I wrote down earlier.

You had to bring up McDonalds fries hahahahaha. First of all, I remember when they first opened the McDonalds on Milton Avenue in Janesville - it must have been late 50s. I LOVED McDonalds fries back then. They were so saturated with grease that when they were served, they were actually moist - a hundred times better than the damn DRY things now. Then the God damned nutrition Nazis - the Michelle Obama/Michael Bloomberg idiots came along, and everything got worse.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.0 | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.246 seconds.