Pack93z
10 years ago

I have penciled in Raji, Pickett, D.Jones, Daniels, Neal, and C.J.Wilson for my 6. Hopefully they can stash Peňa and Boyd on the practice squad and Worthy on IR.

I think Jolly and Miller have an uphill climb, but, that's why we have training camp and preseason to evaluate! [boxing]

Originally Posted by: greengold 

My opinion.. unless Neal really pops out in camp and shows a ton, his past failures to remain available and effective will cost him a spot if someone else is even close to him in terms of a impact. He is near the boot zone.

Worthy will be on the PUP IMO.. and will be given every opportunity to make an impact this season. But we will not count towards the 53 coming out of camp.

If Jolly still has it.. there is no way he isn't on the roster. IMO. That is a big if though.

It will be fun to watch Boyd battle his way to a spot.. interesting prospect IMO.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
DL is vastly overrated. Focus on improving the backend and the linebackers. Fatties can be picked up anywhere to occupy space.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
10 years ago

DL is vastly overrated. Focus on improving the backend and the linebackers. Fatties can be picked up anywhere to occupy space.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Disagree immensely.. both the defensive and offensive lines are the life blood of any team. If you control the point of attack, everything else will fall into place regardless of the talent levels behind them.

That is QB speak there.. lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

Disagree immensely.. both the defensive and offensive lines are the life blood of any team. If you control the point of attack, everything else will fall into place regardless of the talent levels behind them.

That is QB speak there.. lol.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

A good QB, solid WR corp and top notch secondary will beat a good OL and DL every Sunday.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I don't believe there is a single DB or LB on our team who would agree with this statement Z, but I like your style.

I'm really glad we aren't talking about Muir or Mehrling...

We only had two DL that we could really count on these last two seasons, and that is Raji and Pickett. Everybody else purely sucked, and it showed. Bigtime. Two of our worst defensive years statistically in NFL history. We made freaking history for our inept D two years in a row.

Think the Ravens would have won the SB with Philipp Mehrling in place of Suggs? Muir in place of Ngata? What about the Giants and Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Chris Canty, Jason Pierre-Paul, Rocky Bernard? Do they WIN a SB without those players? Hell no.
beast
10 years ago

So it looks like Pickett Raji and Jones get pencilled in as the starters, and I have heard Worthy might be PUP to start the year. I have a good feeling about Jolly, to be honest, and Neal should be good to go as well. That outs Daniels, Wilson Boyd and Miller in the mix for 2 spots? I don't see carrying more than 6 D-Line.

If Neal is 100% and Jolly can still play (I think he can) then I see the Line as a position of strength, and I think with more rotation, Raji and Pickett will both play better.

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 

Okay lots of questions...

Did the Packers pencil in a rookie (Jones) to start or are you just guess? ... IMO you should NEVER pencil in a rookie, make them earn it.

Also you said only 6 ...
But you named 5 guys and said 2 more spots (which is 7)
so yeah the numbers aren't adding up in my mind.

Is Jolly even in Wisconsin yet? ... last I heard Mike McCarthy said he's not and he's still working though stuff.... I don't know but I'm guessing the Packers have Jolly going though some rehab both for the drug and work out getting his body back in playing shape (because lets be honest, those heavy DTs don't stay in shape when not active in the game or have someone to help push them.... plus _?_ how many years Jolly missed... and that he's never played in the 3-4... I'm guessing the Packers are going to try to get some sort of red shirt year for Jolly if possible.

If we really are committed to getting bigger and stronger than I think Danials ( despite his flashes last year) does not make the team.

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar 

Daniels is short but he's very strong and the only guy who sometimes was moving forward against the 49ers (Pickett is the only guy who didn't get pushed back at all...)
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago
Daniels has fight in him. I like that kind of play, and I am guessing he may be able to stick.

CJ Wilson has been a bit of a disappointment, but then, so was Jarius Wynn. If all you can do is tackle, and you can't offer anything rushing the passer... 3.5 sacks in 3 years? Really?

Daniels picked up a couple sacks his first year, 12 solo tackles, 2 FRs, 1 PD, and a couple of stuffs. That was in some pretty limited action. I'm very interested to see how he progresses this season. This guy was a team captain at Iowa, ranked #3 overall in the Big Ten in sacks his senior year. He'll stick.
beast
10 years ago

The Packers always have kept 6 DL right after camp. They did have a number of injuries one year and brought up a 7th guy and kept him to the end of the year. So there is probably going to be 6 spots on DL... though with Pickett, Neal, Wilson and maybe Raji's contracts up at the end of this year (or the year after that in Raji's case), I've been thinking they might keep 7 just to make the transition to next year easier.

Locks: Pickett, Raji, Jones,

Maybe: Wilson, Neal, Boyd, Daniels

PUP/IR: Worthy

Other: Jolly

If they feel like they can give the DL a 7th spot, I would just keep all of the Locks and Maybes. Pickett, Wilson and Neal contracts are up at the end of the year and one or two of them probably aren't going to get resigned unless they're all cheap.

If we go with 6, I'd say cut Wilson or Neal (maybe Pickett but probably not).

Pickett is consistent as can be, clearly the best run clogger the Packers have. But isn't able to get much push in pass rush normally. But he's getting up there in age.

Wilson is like kind of like a younger worse version of Pickett, who's not as good in run clogging but a little tad better in pass rush, which might be replaced by Boyd.

Neal is the total opposite, he's a VERY good pass rusher at times but isn't consistent at all, which might be replaced by Jones.

UserPostedImage
DakotaT
10 years ago
Why do we always hammer away at our base defense when we are in subpackages most of the time. The only time Pickett and Raji should be on the field together is in short yardage situations. The formation I'm excited to see is the two down lineman with Jones, Neal or Raji - and Clay and Perry rushing from the outside. When we can get pressure with the front four, then our playmakers in the secondary can start doing their thing. If we can't get any pressure our defense will continue its path of the last couple years. Jones and Perry are really the key to the whole thing.
UserPostedImage
beast
10 years ago

Why do we always hammer away at our base defense when we are in subpackages most of the time.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Because if you don't stop the offense in the base defense then you don't get to subpackages (unless the offense goes to clearly passing formations) like in the playoffs, the 49ers ran all over the Packers in base defense... you don't go to those sub packages to stop the run (other than maybe goal line package).

The only time Pickett and Raji should be on the field together is in short yardage situations.

I disagree. The Packers have different packages (even when in base defense) depending on the call.. in the traditional 3-4 defense (which is more conservative with their DL) they basically have three NTs (usually it's one huge NT and two mini NTs playing 3-4 DE). Which fits Pickett perfectly and he can play any where on the line in that. And Raji is Wilson have been getting the start in that as well.

Now when they go to the non-traditional DL packages such as the Phillips 3-4 defense (named after Bum Phillip I think) they ask their 3-4 DEs to be more aggressive and pass rush more (which leaves the LB un-protected) Pickett shouldn't be at DE for that. Though they have run that some in the past with Pickett at NT and Raji at DE.

And sometimes I've wondered if the Packers might be best running a 3-4 defense like Wade Phillips did in Dallas. Both DEs are asked to play traditional and protect the LB... while the NT (Raji in the Packers case) was asked to get up the field and into the back field as fast as possible.

Of course Capers doesn't seem to be interested in that and with Jones added I'd stay away from that more. But I thought it might of worked best with Raji and Daniels .

The formation I'm excited to see is the two down lineman with Jones, Neal or Raji - and Clay and Perry rushing from the outside.

Totally agree... I'm hoping that guys like Jones, Raji, Daniels and maybe Neal can pick it up in the 2-4 nickel / dime packages.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.