Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:59:38 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 77

JerseyAl wrote:
If I put the over/under on the number of rookies the Packers will have starting on the offensive line for the regular season opener at 0.5, would you take the over or the under? What if I changed the season opener to week 10, but kept the over/under at 0.5? If you believe some of [...]
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:17:32 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,293
Applause Received: 569

Originally Posted by: MintBaconDrivel Go to Quoted Post

I believe one of the rookies will beat out EDS.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:41:30 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 247
Applause Received: 365

Reading the article, the author seems to think it would take multiple injuries for a rookie to crack the starting lineup.

I agree.

I don't want to see a rookie lineman starting this year, let these guys develop a little.

Dietrich-Smith was the starting C at the end of last year and should stay there.

RT is the only real ? now that the "shuffle" has occurred.

The Packers don't want to go into TC with multiple positions on the O-line up in the air.
“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
thanks Post received 1 applause.
OlHoss1884 on 5/15/2013(UTC)
Offline Since69  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:54:56 PM(UTC)
Since69

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 81

I'll take the under, please.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:06:15 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 224

I've seen a strong correlation over the years/decades of O Line stability and success. That's the goal. The left/right shuffling more about setting up something that doesn't need juggling. Put me down as on the side of thinking EDS is the solution at center. As for RT, I'm rooting for Sherrod. After not taking an O Lineman in the early rounds, I had high hopes that it meant they were confident in Sherrod coming back strong. However, the shuffling tends to indicate otherwise. In any case, the open competition should result in the best man for the job, and with some luck healthwise, we should have stability for the season and maybe beyond.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
greengold on 5/15/2013(UTC)
Offline greengold  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:59:26 PM(UTC)
greengold

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 7

I'm rooting for Sherrod at RT too. Although he might as well be a rookie, I don't think he has started a regular season game yet. Time will tell if he can beat out Newhouse and Barclay.

Offline DakotaT  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:14:14 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,295

Improvements can and should be made over EDS and Newhouse. I think both will be pushed in training camp but both will hold on to their jobs. The rookies, Datko, Barclay, and Van Roten will have to play their asses off to win the jobs. I really wish we would have gotten the center from Cal, but am glad we finally got some much needed talent at running back. Can't have everything all at once, well not if you intend on remaining fiscally responsible and run marathons instead of sprints.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower on 5/15/2013(UTC)
Offline PackerTraxx  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:59:59 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Maybe not this year, but next year one of this years rookies hopefully overtakes EDS, unless he makes a nice jump in his game. Center is one position that I believe, with a good player, can make a big difference on our Oline. Of course, we need one of the tackles to step up also. We have a number of possibilities, hopefully one or more come through.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline play2win  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:18:45 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724

Center Patrick Lewis will be very stiff competition for EDS this year.

He's 6-2 309, and led the Aggies OL in very successful rushing and passing attacks. The Aggies rushed for an average of 242 yds per game with him at C, a 5.9 yd per rush average. Over 3000 yds rushing and 46 TDs!

I think this kid wins a starting job this year. Pure Center. Started all 4 years at Texas A&M, two seasons at G and two at C. He was the Center for Johnny Football, where they averaged 282 yds per game through the air, almost 4000 yds on the season, adding another 26 TDs, 68% completion percentage and a 155 QB rating... Patrick Lewis knows how to play Center. What a great signing by Ted!
Offline OlHoss1884  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:34:30 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 140

I've read 3 scouting reports on Lewis and they all agree that he's a good pass blocker and smart, but a poor run blocker who isn't physical enough and doesn't finish his blocks. He is rated as a backup in the NFL at best. I can see him making the practice squad and being developed...a guy with smarts who has good pass blocking technique can probably learn the rest of his game, but I wouldn't expect him to make an impact this year.

With Sherrod and Datko rehabbed from injuries, as well as the two versatile OL drafted this year, TC is going to be very interesting this year with a lot of decent players vying for a limited number of spots. I am thinking Bulago, Sitton, EDS, Datk, Barclay and the two rookies, with Sherrod and Lang fighting it out for the last spot.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline Dulak  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:48:32 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 146
Applause Received: 94

So the question is could they start a rookie - Sure! if the guy is good and learns the system ... which I hope ... for some reason these new guys remind me of the year (few years back) when we had giocomini (spelling) and some other dude in our lineup... hope they are better ... they just look similar :)

Offline Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:15:33 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,833
Applause Received: 1,985

Only if the rookies resemble those who started from the Packers 2000 draft class.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
DakotaT on 5/15/2013(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:41:20 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,295

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Only if the rookies resemble those who started from the Packers 2000 draft class.

That's what I'm talking about Jack!

EDS and Newhouse need to be replaced as soon as somebody wants to step up. EDS and Newhouse are very good back up role players forced to be starters. Oh yeah, and a replacement at offensive line coach wouldn't hurt either.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 3 applause.
play2win on 5/15/2013(UTC), DoddPower on 5/15/2013(UTC), nerdmann on 5/15/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 11:24:03 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724

OlHoss1884, I don't know how to weigh some of the scouting reports. Going 11-2 in the SEC with the success they had running the ball, I find it a bit difficult to imagine the guy cannot run block. In 2011, his first year starting at C, the Aggies rushed or 199 yds per game, #24 in the nation. The numbers from last year I've already posted.

Here's some video of him to see for yourself. Only one highlight video of him specifically at C, this game against Auburn:
http://draftbreakdown.co...ick-lewis-vs-auburn-2012

This one is a bit of a time commitment: A great game by him vs. Florida, with a pretty impressive 2nd series and half in no huddle. This is the whole game, against a very good Florida defense (commercials are already FFW which is good) He made a couple of mental mistakes early and late in the game, but overall played well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knomDd-Odg0

I'd say his run blocking was quite solid here, and look at his ability to quickly get to the 2nd level on screens - very quick. Impressive. He seems to have a really great ability to absorb an opponent's momentum and redirect him out away from the direction of the play. Had a great 1st half, with some nice inside run blocking 2nd quarter. Can't help but notice he is one hell of a pass protector too. He seems to play really smart, and runs a very fast tempo no huddle, making all the line calls. I thought looking at a close Aggies loss against a tough Florida team would give us a better picture of him and how he plays.

Then there is their win v. Bama:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tccxirXrK7w

Kind of funny, a Jesse Williams highlight video that makes Lewis look pretty good, from the same game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qbMEu96hcE

Win vs. Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQR2ssvsRUs

Another note on Lewis that I find interesting is that his backup at Texas A&M was Mike Matthews, Clay's cousin. I'd say some word got around on this player in the Packers offices. Patrick Lewis seems pretty tough and smart on the line, and I think he looks like he could make a great C for us. Maybe beats out EDS and starts this year.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:53:37 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 224

I'm a supporter of EDS, and I also believe centers can be made from other O Linemen - that college experience at the position isn't a prerequisite. Just the same, I agree that this Patrick Lewis seems like a real find.

There are at least half a dozen of those among this year's UDFAs. Is Ted Thompson just that good? Or is there some extenuating circumstance that kept these guys from getting drafted?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Rss Feed