MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

At a time when it appeared that the next quarterback contract extension would be given to Aaron Rodgers by the Packers, the Cowboys finally got their long-coveted deal in place with Tony Romo. And with Romo, who has won precisely one career playoff game, now under contract at a seven-year average of $17 million, Rodgers'

ProFootballTalk  wrote:

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
I don't know whether this belongs in this thread or your other about the need for a franchise QB. I say this from the perspective of someone who sees Romo (on TV) virtually every week, and whose second favorite team (albeit distant second) is the Cowboys. Romo is good, maybe even great at times, but he is not so special that he couldn't be adequately replaced by ...... most of the QBs warming benches around the NFL. And no, that is not just a slam of Romo. I would say the same for Cutler, Stafford, Ryan, Flacco, Griffin, Luck, basically everybody not named Rodgers, Brady, Brees, or P. Manning - and really, I'm not sure the list of difference makers even extends to the other three - it may begin and end with Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers IMO is in a class by himself in terms of quality.

All of that being said, I don't see how the signing of Romo underscores the importance of a new deal for Rodgers in the immediate future. Yeah, I would love to have it happen this off-season. It's unthinkable to lose him, and for peace of mind, I hope the big deal comes through soon and is a "rest of the career" contract. Yeah, I want to see the sky being the limit for Rodgers in terms of money. However, I don't see the signing of Romo or Flacco as significantly impacting the Rodgers contract. Why? Because I expect Rodgers to get so much more money than either of those that the slight expansion of market value has little effect.

I fully expect Rodgers to get a ten or more year contract for well over $200 million, with $100 + million guaranteed, and for that to happen WITHOUT significant harm done to the Packers salary cap situation - I mean like $10 million or less cap hit the first year.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
sschind
10 years ago

I don't know whether this belongs in this thread or your other about the need for a franchise QB. I say this from the perspective of someone who sees Romo (on TV) virtually every week, and whose second favorite team (albeit distant second) is the Cowboys. Romo is good, maybe even great at times, but he is not so special that he couldn't be adequately replaced by ...... most of the QBs warming benches around the NFL. And no, that is not just a slam of Romo. I would say the same for Cutler, Stafford, Ryan, Flacco, Griffin, Luck, basically everybody not named Rodgers, Brady, Brees, or P. Manning - and really, I'm not sure the list of difference makers even extends to the other three - it may begin and end with Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers IMO is in a class by himself in terms of quality.

All of that being said, I don't see how the signing of Romo underscores the importance of a new deal for Rodgers in the immediate future. Yeah, I would love to have it happen this off-season. It's unthinkable to lose him, and for peace of mind, I hope the big deal comes through soon and is a "rest of the career" contract. Yeah, I want to see the sky being the limit for Rodgers in terms of money. However, I don't see the signing of Romo or Flacco as significantly impacting the Rodgers contract. Why? Because I expect Rodgers to get so much more money than either of those that the slight expansion of market value has little effect.

I fully expect Rodgers to get a ten or more year contract for well over $200 million, with $100 + million guaranteed, and for that to happen WITHOUT significant harm done to the Packers salary cap situation - I mean like $10 million or less cap hit the first year.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I guess we see it differently. Aside from maybe a few really young guys who haven't really had their chance yet I don't see more than 3 maybe 4 of the QBs warming the bench on any team as viable starters in the NFL. I think that is why so many teams have been reaching to draft young QBs the last couple of years. There is no one in the league now that you realistically have a chance to get (read that as backups on other teams) that are any better than any rookie you might draft. Teams are locking up their starters and letting the backups go but that is mainly because the backups suck. Players like Flynn and Kolb and Palmer are getting looks now but I could see any of the teams that get those players drafting a QB #1 anyway.

I hate the cowboys with a passion but Romo is not a bad QB. He is certainly in the top half of QBs in the league and could be a top 10. I don't see any current benchwarmers who could step in and give the cowboys anything like they get from Romo.

DakotaT
10 years ago
The Packers have been very fortunate to have been blessed with Starr, Dickey, Favre, and Rodgers. With the exception of Dickey, a lot of winning has occurred because of these guys. And I would say that Favre and Rodgers did more with less talent than Starr had - and Starr himself has said he is nowhere near the quarterback Favre and Rodgers are. Whatever we end up paying Rodgers, it will seem like a bargain in a couple years. There isn't a player in the league that I would trade him for.

As for Romo, well, I'll just grin a little bit about it. I will say though, that the Cowboys have squandered a lot of talent since the middle of the 00's and their problems are a lot deeper seeded than Tony Romo.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

The Packers have been very fortunate to have been blessed with Starr, Dickey, Favre, and Rodgers. With the exception of Dickey, a lot of winning has occurred because of these guys. And I would say that Favre and Rodgers did more with less talent than Starr had - and Starr himself has said he is nowhere near the quarterback Favre and Rodgers are. Whatever we end up paying Rodgers, it will seem like a bargain in a couple years. There isn't a player in the league that I would trade him for.

As for Romo, well, I'll just grin a little bit about it. I will say though, that the Cowboys have squandered a lot of talent since the middle of the 00's and their problems are a lot deeper seeded than Tony Romo.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

We actually agree on something. What's the world coming to hahahaha.

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

I guess we see it differently. Aside from maybe a few really young guys who haven't really had their chance yet I don't see more than 3 maybe 4 of the QBs warming the bench on any team as viable starters in the NFL. I think that is why so many teams have been reaching to draft young QBs the last couple of years. There is no one in the league now that you realistically have a chance to get (read that as backups on other teams) that are any better than any rookie you might draft. Teams are locking up their starters and letting the backups go but that is mainly because the backups suck. Players like Flynn and Kolb and Palmer are getting looks now but I could see any of the teams that get those players drafting a QB #1 anyway.

I hate the cowboys with a passion but Romo is not a bad QB. He is certainly in the top half of QBs in the league and could be a top 10. I don't see any current benchwarmers who could step in and give the cowboys anything like they get from Romo.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

My point wasn't that Romo is bad, but that Rodgers is good - more like super. As for the bench warmer thing, I've seen more than a few nobodies pressed into service as QBs for good teams over the years and do a .... let's say barely adequate job. Arguably, the net body of work for Romo is barely adequate.

nerdmann
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I don't know about Dickey, but the Packers were not "blessed" with Starr, Favre OR Rodgers. All of these quarterbacks were CREATED by the organization. Starr sucked his first year or two. He was what, a 17 round draft pick? Favre was traded out of Atlanta for being a drunkass country boy. And Rodgers himself wasn't exactly lighting it up under the Sherman/Rosseley regime. Imo, without Mike, Aaron probably wouldn't even be as good as Alex Smith has become. Hard to say I guess, maybe they would have gotten a different QB guru to coach him up.

Point being, none of these QBs happened by accident.

And as for Favre and Rodgers, they're not half the man Starr was, and I'd take Starr over either one of them, any day of the week.

Not knocking them as players, but Starr was in a league of his own.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
No source, but on Facebook they had some trending article of some kind that said Packers and Aaron Rodgers are about $2 million apart.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

No source, but on Facebook they had some trending article of some kind that said Packers and Aaron Rodgers are about $2 million apart.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

hahahaha is that $2 million total for the length of the contract? or per season? or per game? Assuming it is per season, that's an insignificant figure - considering that he will undoubtedly average well over $20 million per season, and I HOPE they make it a ten or more year contract - to lessen the cap hit and give us the peace of mind of having him for the rest of his career. I say split the difference and give him $23 million a season instead of $22 or 24 million hahaha.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.