wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago
I am not going to argue about it Rock. There is so much more to the issue than I want to get into.
Most all nations in Europe could do a better job of support than what they do.

If they offered as much support (both political and militarily) as the effort they apply to get our tourist dollars the I would have no complaints.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

I am not going to argue about it Rock. There is so much more to the issue than I want to get into.
Most all nations in Europe could do a better job of support than what they do.

If they offered as much support (both political and militarily) as the effort they apply to get our tourist dollars the I would have no complaints.

"wpr" wrote:

Go to Hawaii. It's far nicer and it's in the US. We get diddly squat out of the tourist sector, anyway.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago
This article is almost a year old. (Jan 2009) I imagine the numbers are down even more this year.

Chicago Tribune 

American Express has shuttered two decades-old offices in major tourist cities. Taxi drivers are wailing that Americans and their big tips are nowhere to be seen. Clerks at the upscale clothiers along Via dei Condotti are helping buyers from Russia and Chinathe only holiday travelers found sifting through their racks one day last week.

Americans just arent here, said driver Piero Capotosti, who used to draw a dependable income from Americans. He estimates his traffic has dropped as much as 40 percent from last year.

They dont have the money. You can really feel it, he said. Now a lot of tourists are taking low-cost tours or coming from Eastern Europe. We have a name for them: The tight-fisted tourists.

The number of American visitors to Italy has fallen about 20 percent in the past year, according to tourism agenciesa painful slide for a country that saw American tourism shrivel after 9/11 and never fully rebound.

This latest drop, however, indicates that the travel industry has been hurt by the global slowdown and Italy has company in its misery. Britain this month is reporting a sizable downturn in visitors in the last three months of 2008. Overall, the number of foreign visitors dropped 5 percent from 2007, but the numbers from North America fell the most 12 percent.

Data maintained by the Bank of Italy are revealing: The number of American visitors fell from 2.5 million in 2006 to 1.75 million as of September 2008.

The tourism loss has a ripple effect, agents pointed out. A 20 percent dip in Americans can mean as much as a million admissions lost in museums and tourist sites, by some estimates. Matteo Marsotto, chairman of the National Tourism Agency, told reporters in December that the data are not encouraging.

UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago
International visitor spending in US down 21 percent in August 

The US Department of Commerce recently announced that international visitors spent an estimated US$9.9 billion on travel to, and tourism-related activities within, the United States during the month of August an increase of 1 percent over July 2009. However, when compared to the same period last year, international visitor spending is down more than 21 percent for the month.

Travel Receipts: Purchases of travel and tourism-related goods and services by international visitors traveling in the United States totaled US$7.8 billion for the month, a decrease of more than 20 percent in comparison with last year. These goods and services include food, lodging, recreation, gifts, entertainment, local transportation in the United States, and other items incidental to foreign travel.

Passenger Fare Receipts: Fares received by US carriers (and US vessel operators) from international visitors decreased nearly 25 percent to US$2.1 billion for the month, a decrease of more than US$700 million when compared to August 2008.

August 2009 marks the tenth straight month in which US travel and tourism-related exports were lower when compared to the same period of the previous year, having declined in November 2008 (-4 percent), December 2008 (-2 percent), January 2009 (-6 percent), February 2009 (-10 percent), March 2009 (-18 percent), April 2009 (-14 percent), May 2009 (-23 percent), June 2009 (-22 percent), July (-22 percent), and now August 2009 (-21 percent).

But that was not completely what I meant. I mean, we, as in The Netherlands, don't attract that much tourists, apart from the people who go to Amsterdam. Of course, it's quite a considerable drop in our finances if the tourist stream just stopped, but 20% doesn't hit us that hard.

Again, if I lived in the US, I'd go to Hawaii, anyway. The place looks absolutely amazing.
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Hawaii's ok. You got to go to Kauai or Molokai now because the Big Island, Maui, and Oahu are overdeveloped.

Funny thing, people love to dog American tourists, but at least we spend money. Speaking of biting the hand that feeds.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago
And I was referring to Europe as a whole not just Netherlands. And as a whole Americans spend big money as tourists and do a better job of that than other tourists.

Been to Hawaii. It is amazing. Was on Maui. Had no problems with feeling over developed. Being in a Kayak on the ocean next to a Humpback and her newborn calf was amazing.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Hawaii's ok. You got to go to Kauai or Molokai now because the Big Island, Maui, and Oahu are overdeveloped.

Funny thing, people love to dog American tourists, but at least we spend money. Speaking of biting the hand that feeds.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

We don't. We as the Dutch, that is. We're a nation known for it's penny pinching. Tipping is not usual, it's actually just on the rise. At least here, in the northern part.

I figured that half of Hawaii would be overdevelopped. I'm pretty sure that every part of it will be, soon. Much like the Spanish coast. They're the ones getting hit hard by this.
Formo
14 years ago

The gattlin gun didn't do any damage?

I guess it's convenient to say don't bring a knife to a gun fight. And when everything comes clean in the wash, everyone is suppose to say, oh well, let's get on with it.

Conquered people have their futures dictated to them. But did the conqueror's have the right in the first place?

People bitch about the illegals crossing the border, or are they people coming back to the lands that were once theirs. Tough call all the way around.

"DakotaT" wrote:

I'm not saying it was right. I agree with you there.

Lets not forget, though, that the first few settlers that came here, came in peace. The holiday we just celebrated I believe had something to do with the peace between the Natives and the first settlers.

When one has their future dictated to them, there are more than one option to respond to said future. I'm more of a believer that even though circumstances change, you always have control over your own future. 20/20 hindsight vision, though.

As far as your last paragraph.. that is an interesting way to look at it, and yes it is a hard call. But then again, there's been a few changes since whitey took over. You want back into your ancestors land? Better be willing to pay the price.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

"Belgian_Packer" wrote:

I for one love American tourist, just do something about the ugly jogging shoes under a jeans, WOW! 🙂 :)

"zombieslayer" wrote:

You have our permission to shoot them on sight. It is ugly here too. :tongue3:
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Well, let's not forget. It's the Europeans who keep coming to our beaches in speedos. If anything is a site you don't want to see... :pukeright:
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (18h) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (18h) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.