bboystyle
a year ago

Getting a guy now wouldn't just be for this year. It would have given the new guy a chance to learn the playbook for next year as well, no matter who the QB will be.
But that chance is blown.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Someone gets it.
nerdmann
a year ago

Getting a guy now wouldn't just be for this year. It would have given the new guy a chance to learn the playbook for next year as well, no matter who the QB will be.
But that chance is blown.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I agree, but I don't expect us to be quite as desperate next year. Watson and Doubs will both have a season in the system. Let's not forget about Toure either.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Cheesey
a year ago

I agree, but I don't expect us to be quite as desperate next year. Watson and Doubs will both have a season in the system. Let's not forget about Toure either.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

That might end up being true. But a big question I would have with that is, will any of them stay healthy enough to actually help the team? As we have seen this season, you can never have enough pass catchers. That's something the Packers brass haven't taken care of. They had a chance to add a healthy guy into the mix, and didn't do so.
Maybe they really tried, maybe it was half hearted. None of us truly knows
Maybe the guys we have will get healthy and start earning their pay.
Who knows.
9 games left to either start showing some life and pride, or might as well tank the year for a better draft pick.
Again, just my opinion.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

So the Bears, Steelers and Broncos are ascending? Bears actually got a WR we did jack shit.

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

Who said the Bears, Steelers and Broncos are ascending? Steelers were sellers, Broncos were sellers and the Bears and Packers both offered a 2nd for the same WR. Steelers took Bears 2nd because they (foolishly) think the Bears will finish worse than Packers, thus, having a better pick.

Something else to consider. Projected salary cap space for Bears in 2023 is $114 million and Packers are over by $1.7 million. That means Bears can acquiesce Claypool contract demands much better than the Packers. Crazy huh? It's not like fantasy football, I know, I know, you are SHOCKED.

My dad is a die-hard Steelers fan so I've heard quite a bit about Claypool. He's immature and kind of a headcase. So while I would have been fine losing a 3rd rounder for him, I'm not gonna cry about it. Sometimes the best trades are the ones that don't happen.

More on the Bears. Ryan Poles literally passed on George Pickens with both of his 2022 2nd-round picks to trade a 2023 2nd for the guy that Pickens made irrelevant.

You guys moan about how its early and we can still make the playoffs when it fits your agenda, but now all of a sudden its pointless to trade because the Packers are 3-5?!?!? Yea, some people like to say certain things when it meets their criteria. 😋

Wrong. I have said from the start adding a WR is not going to change our team dynamic. I've maintained that throughout this and it's quite disgusting after my plethora of posts stating as such you would ignorantly say something like this to me.

We could of gotten Ridley or Claypool regardless what we do this year. At least we will have some talent at a position of need.

The Calvin Ridley trade was a shocker. NO ONE was talking about him, so blasting anyone for not doing it is ignorant. You weren't chirping about him. Why? Because he wasn't on your radar. This was a helluva move by Jaguars who have a QB on a rookie contract and thinking about the future. While the Packers are thinking about now, they also know they are far more than a WR away from being legit contenders. Gosh, it feels like I've said that before. OH IT'S BECAUSE I HAVE OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

I'm not sure if we could have got Calvin Ridley (the trade compensation is convoluted), but shit, sure would have been nice. Maximum Jaguars will give up is 2023 5th and 2024 2nd round pick. You have to keep in mind teams assume Packers are going to finish better than Jaguars, so we probably would have had to give up 2023 4th rounder. Which, I don't think anyone here would bat an eye over.

Brandin Cooks is a guy I am surprised wasn't traded. Texans offered him that contract that makes him hard to move. Yet, they wouldn't eat the 2023 salary. I thought that was foolish on their part.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
a year ago

So the Bears, Steelers and Broncos are ascending? Bears actually got a WR we did jack shit. You guys moan about how its early and we can still make the playoffs when it fits your agenda, but now all of a sudden its pointless to trade because the Packers are 3-5?!?!? Yea, some people like to say certain things when it meets their criteria. 😋

We could of gotten Ridley or Claypool regardless what we do this year. At least we will have some talent at a position of need.

You sir are a fan that just likes to bitch and moan, aren't you the one that tries to claim he's a bigger Rodgers hater than me (not even possible lol). But anyhows I see this as a good sign and the end of the Rodgers era, which should make you happy. The team proved that they run the team and Rodgers doesn't finally. They believe in their draft picks for the future, which we have to look at because next year some big names won't be on this team because of salary cap casualties. As I have mentioned which guy should we have gotten? Cooks that is due I believe is $18 million next year or Claypool that we actually were the lead until the Bears slid in, but he will be in his final year of rookie contract next year so do you extend him or basically lose him because you won't use a franchise tag on him. So once again where does he fit for next year and the cap? I actually like the idea of staying with the guys we have and next year our top 3 will be the rookies from this year, bank on it. But then if we decide to extend Love he will grow with them or if we draft a qb then that qb will grow with them. I think the no moves is all in part to the salary cap issues we have the next few years. In the end, the Packers are a business and have to stay profitable. We can't pretend this is Madden and we have no salary cap to deal with I see Rodgers, Bahk, and Jones all gone next year.

So in the end the Packer's management did an awesome job at the trade deadline because they did the happy medium of looking at the future and the present. These young receivers need playing time for the future and bringing in a different guy won't help that. So I give Brian and Mark a grade of B+ as they made a swing and didn't get it but didn't panic and make a move just to make a move.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
bboystyle
a year ago

You sir are a fan that just likes to bitch and moan, aren't you the one that tries to claim he's a bigger Rodgers hater than me (not even possible lol). But anyhows I see this as a good sign and the end of the Rodgers era, which should make you happy. The team proved that they run the team and Rodgers doesn't finally. They believe in their draft picks for the future, which we have to look at because next year some big names won't be on this team because of salary cap casualties. As I have mentioned which guy should we have gotten? Cooks that is due I believe is $18 million next year or Claypool that we actually were the lead until the Bears slid in, but he will be in his final year of rookie contract next year so do you extend him or basically lose him because you won't use a franchise tag on him. So once again where does he fit for next year and the cap? I actually like the idea of staying with the guys we have and next year our top 3 will be the rookies from this year, bank on it. But then if we decide to extend Love he will grow with them or if we draft a qb then that qb will grow with them. I think the no moves is all in part to the salary cap issues we have the next few years. In the end, the Packers are a business and have to stay profitable. We can't pretend this is Madden and we have no salary cap to deal with I see Rodgers, Bahk, and Jones all gone next year.

So in the end the Packer's management did an awesome job at the trade deadline because they did the happy medium of looking at the future and the present. These young receivers need playing time for the future and bringing in a different guy won't help that. So I give Brian and Mark a grade of B+ as they made a swing and didn't get it but didn't panic and make a move just to make a move.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Rodgers hater? Far from it. But i have been more criticizing of his play recently including last years MVP run.

How does pointing out the flaws of this team considering bitching and moaning? The team has holes everywhere even on offense. Should we just not talk about it and blindly cheer this crap on?
bboystyle
a year ago

Who said the Bears, Steelers and Broncos are ascending? Steelers were sellers, Broncos were sellers and the Bears and Packers both offered a 2nd for the same WR. Steelers took Bears 2nd because they (foolishly) think the Bears will finish worse than Packers, thus, having a better pick.

Something else to consider. Projected salary cap space for Bears in 2023 is $114 million and Packers are over by $1.7 million. That means Bears can acquiesce Claypool contract demands much better than the Packers. Crazy huh? It's not like fantasy football, I know, I know, you are SHOCKED.

My dad is a die-hard Steelers fan so I've heard quite a bit about Claypool. He's immature and kind of a headcase. So while I would have been fine losing a 3rd rounder for him, I'm not gonna cry about it. Sometimes the best trades are the ones that don't happen.

More on the Bears. Ryan Poles literally passed on George Pickens with both of his 2022 2nd-round picks to trade a 2023 2nd for the guy that Pickens made irrelevant.

Wrong. I have said from the start adding a WR is not going to change our team dynamic. I've maintained that throughout this and it's quite disgusting after my plethora of posts stating as such you would ignorantly say something like this to me.

The Calvin Ridley trade was a shocker. NO ONE was talking about him, so blasting anyone for not doing it is ignorant. You weren't chirping about him. Why? Because he wasn't on your radar. This was a helluva move by Jaguars who have a QB on a rookie contract and thinking about the future. While the Packers are thinking about now, they also know they are far more than a WR away from being legit contenders. Gosh, it feels like I've said that before. OH IT'S BECAUSE I HAVE OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

I'm not sure if we could have got Calvin Ridley (the trade compensation is convoluted), but shit, sure would have been nice. Maximum Jaguars will give up is 2023 5th and 2024 2nd round pick. You have to keep in mind teams assume Packers are going to finish better than Jaguars, so we probably would have had to give up 2023 4th rounder. Which, I don't think anyone here would bat an eye over.

Brandin Cooks is a guy I am surprised wasn't traded. Texans offered him that contract that makes him hard to move. Yet, they wouldn't eat the 2023 salary. I thought that was foolish on their part.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

You said the only teams who were trading were ascending teams. Thats where I brought up the teams who are doing the opposite but still traded to make their roster better.
Pugger
a year ago

We aren't making the playoffs this year and even if we did, no chance to win the Super Bowl which is the real goal.

But to make the playoffs, the Packers would probably have to limit it to only two more losses the rest of the season... whiles teams currently in as wildcards have some of the easiest schedules and Packers currently have the hardest 17 schedule in the NFL.

So only two more losses with Cowboys, Titans, Eagles, Dolphins and Vikings left to go...

Originally Posted by: beast 

This is why I'm not all that unhappy we didn't make a deal. I don't blame Pitt for going for a higher compensation (it would be funny if it backfired on them tho). They wanted to get the best deal for this player like this. You have to wonder why they would be so willing to unload on a good young player. It isn't like he's a older vet on his last legs or with a ridiculous salary. I'm glad we were in the mix tho cuz it shows we weren't sitting on our hands. But if we are really going to do a retool next year these picks would be welcome come spring. I just hope MLF keeps running this offense like he did Sunday night.
Pugger
a year ago

Rodgers hater? Far from it. But i have been more criticizing of his play recently including last years MVP run.

How does pointing out the flaws of this team considering bitching and moaning? The team has holes everywhere even on offense. Should we just not talk about it and blindly cheer this crap on?

And adding a WR wasn't going to cure all of our needs to fix this mess. I just hope they continue to play well enough so they are at least watchable the rest of this season. It won't break my heart if we end up with a top 10 pick this spring. It will be kinda refreshing to be able to draft higher than we've been able to in eons. IF Gute (or whoever is the GM in 2023) drafts wisely it might not take decades to return to prominence in the NFC because we still have some nice talent on this roster to build upon.
nerdmann
a year ago

This is why I'm not all that unhappy we didn't make a deal. I don't blame Pitt for going for a higher compensation (it would be funny if it backfired on them tho). They wanted to get the best deal for this player like this. You have to wonder why they would be so willing to unload on a good young player. It isn't like he's a older vet on his last legs or with a ridiculous salary. I'm glad we were in the mix tho cuz it shows we weren't sitting on our hands. But if we are really going to do a retool next year these picks would be welcome come spring. I just hope MLF keeps running this offense like he did Sunday night.

Originally Posted by: Pugger 

Gutey made the Bears overpay.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (3h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (4h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (21h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (21h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (21h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (22h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (23h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.