Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

Green Bay Packers' 2020 NFL draft analysis for every pick 
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

The 2020 NFL draft is underway, and the Green Bay Packers' rookie class is shaping up.

The draft, which had been scheduled to take place in Las Vegas, is instead being done virtually from the homes of coaches, general managers and other front office staff because of the coronavirus pandemic. The draft began on Thursday with the first round and continues Friday (7 p.m. ET) with the second and third rounds and Saturday (noon ET) with rounds 4-7 on ABC, ESPN, ESPN App and NFL Network.

Here's a pick-by-pick look at how each player the Packers have selected will fit.

Round 1, No. 26 overall: Jordan Love, QB, Utah State

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
By taking Jordan Love in the first round, the Packers get the option of a fifth-year deal on his rookie contract.
AP Photo/David Zalubowski

My take: Can't wait to see how Aaron Rodgers handles this. He was on the other end of it when he came into the league in 2005 as the Packers' first-round pick and with Brett Favre still years away from retirement (although unlike Rodgers, Favre had already begun to think about it, so the Packers had to start planning for it). The 36-year-old Rodgers, however, has made it clear he intends to play to age 40 -- and perhaps beyond. He's under contract through 2023 and said last month on the Pat McAfee show: "I've got four years left on my deal. I'd like to play four at a really, really high level, and if I feel like keep on keeping on from that point, to do it. I feel confident right now. I'm going to be 40 when the deal ends. I feel like I can keep going after that the way things have been going." At this point in Favre's career, he wanted players who would help him win. He gave Rodgers the cold shoulder, especially as a rookie. Will Rodgers do the same to Love? Everyone knows that Rodgers has always played with a chip on his shoulder and this might be just another one. What's more, by taking Love in the first round, the Packers get the option of a fifth-year deal on Love's rookie contract.

Another trade: General manager Brian Gutekunst didn't just take Rodgers' eventual replacement, he traded up to do it. A source said that Gutekunst might trade up to take LSU receiver Justin Jefferson, a player he loved, but Jefferson went No. 22 to the Vikings. But the thought was that if he took a quarterback, it would be one that fell to him at No. 30. Instead, he traded a fourth-round pick to the Dolphins to move up four spots. It's the third straight year (and fourth time overall) that the third-year GM has made a trade in the first round.

Why the love for Love: One thing you need to play quarterback in Green Bay is a strong arm. Favre had a rocket, and Rodgers developed one. Love fits in. Big hands don't hurt either, and Love's measured 10.5 inches at the combine. That's always good for cold-weather games. He's got more Favre in him than Rodgers in that he's more prone to interceptions than the ultra-accurate and more conservative Rodgers. Love threw an alarming 17 interceptions last season after a much more efficient 2018 season (32 TDs and only six INTs). At 6-foot-3 ¾ and 224 pounds, he's got the right build, but he's also more mobile than one might think, running a 4.74 40 at the combine.

What's next:
If this is indeed the deepest receiver class in recent history -- and maybe ever -- then the Packers should be able to appease Rodgers and get one (if not more) on Day 2 of the draft, although it will be interesting to see if Gutekunst feels like he has to trade up from his spot near the end of the second round (No. 62 overall) to get one.

Rob Demovsky wrote:

Dan Orlovsky likes the pick  but says that it signals the beginning of the end for Rodgers in Green Bay. Marcus Moore thinks that Rodgers will request a trade.

For the sake of comparison, Pete Prisco wasn't impressed at all :

26. Packers, QB Jordan Love, Utah State
Grade: D. Terrible move by the Green Bay Packers. Aaron Rodgers told me last summer he wants to play until he's 40. They needed a receiver. They needed defensive help. Sitting behind Rodgers will do Love well, but not going to do the Packers well. You're on the cusp of getting to a Super Bowl, get Rodgers some help.

Pete Prisco wrote:

Eric Edholm over at Yahoo! Sports was more favorably disposed to the pick :

26) Green Bay Packers (from Dolphins): QB Jordan Love, Utah State — Fascinating move, but not that stunning. The cost for the Packers to move up wasn't high, and our 31st overall prospect – now a potential heir to Aaron Rodgers – is an extremely gifted (though flawed) passer who could develop into the best quarterback in this class. Grade: B-.

Eric Edholm wrote:

Chat Reuter of NFL Network points out that Love could be a valuable backup should Rodgers get hurt again:

Green Bay Packers

Draft pick: Utah State QB Jordan Love (No. 26 overall)

Day 1 grade and analysis: A-
I thought Jordan Love was worth a first-round selection. The Packers did as well. In a mirror reflection of the 2005 draft, the Packers pick a first-round quarterback to learn behind Aaron Rodgers, just as they picked Rodgers to groom behind Brett Favre.

I believe Rodgers has at least a few more years of high-level performance in him -- should they have selected someone to help Rodgers excel during that time? Some Packers fans will think so. However, Love could help Green Bay win games over that span if Rodgers gets hurt again. Plus, there wasn't great value at receiver at the end of the first round; I expect the Packers to meet that need in Rounds 2 or 3 in a deep class. They also have needs at linebacker (Patrick Queen was available at No. 26), cornerback (same goes for Jaylon Johnson and Kristian Fulton) and right tackle (Josh Jones), but the players remaining at those spots did not offer as much value as Love. The Packers expect to pick near the end of the first with Rodgers as their QB1, so they figured they would get their guy while they could. They found value at the game's most important position.

They gave up the 30th pick in Round 1 and a fourth-round pick (No. 136) to get Love, which is standard fare for this type of move.

Chad Reuter wrote:

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

Round 2, No. 62 overall: AJ Dillon, RB, Boston College

My take: Is Brian Gutekunst trying to get rid of both Aarons in one draft? After drafting Aaron Rodgers' likely eventual replacement in the first round, the Packers GM gave himself some insurance in case Aaron Jones prices himself out of Green Bay next year. If Jones is anything close to as productive as he was in 2019, he'll be in line for bigger money than the Packers may be willing to pay a running back in free agency. But for now, it's an intriguing combination of the explosiveness of Jones and the pure power of Dillon. Coach Matt LaFleur may have had Derrick Henry in mind when he and Gutekunst discussed the mammoth 6-foot, 247-pounder. LaFleur relied heavily on Henry during his one year as the Titans' play caller before he became the Packers head coach. Dillon is a yards-after-contact back who might be built for the inside-zone runs that LaFleur used so often last year. Despite being the heaviest back at the combine, he also posted the highest vertical jump (41 inches).

Rob Demovsky wrote:

CBS sure isn't high on the Packers' picks so far:

62. Packers: RB AJ Dillon, Boston College
Grade: C+. Explosive train. Insane contact balance. Just enough wiggle to make one defender miss on a run. Running style could shorten his NFL career. Maybe Aaron Jones insurance?

Chris Trapasso  wrote:

Green Bay Packers: A.J. Dillon
Round 2 - Pick 30

Draft Grade: C
Pre-Draft Rank: 79
School: Boston Coll.
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 250

Eric Edholm's Commentary
Well, now. Not what we expected here, but Matt LaFleur, who was the Titans' offensive coordinator in 2018, gets his Derrick Henry clone. Dillon is a hard-nosed runner but has stiff hands and mild shortcomings in pass pro. That means Aaron Jones is now freed up to be the big-play guy in an interesting 1-2 RB punch. Still a little surprising to us.

Eric Edholm wrote:

AJ DILLON 
BOSTON COLLEGE RB
Round 2 • Pick 30 (62)
The Packers grab a big, bruising RB with a downhill running style that meshes well with the team's zone scheme. Dillon is an old-school workhorse with a rugged game that adds a different dimension to the Packers' offense.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

Round 3, No. 94 overall: Josiah Deguara, TE, Cincinnati

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
In picking Josiah Deguara, the Packers have drafted a tight end in the third round for the second straight year.
Greg Thompson/Icon Sportswire

My take: This draft is taking on a Matt LaFleur feel, and picking a combination tight end/H-back this high -- coupled with a power runner in AJ Dillon a round earlier -- could signify a shift in how the Packers operate on offense. Rather than relying on a three-wide spread system so much, perhaps LaFleur truly values running backs and tight end more than a massive stable of receivers. It's the second straight year the Packers have taken a tight end in the third round and with the Jimmy Graham experiment finally and mercifully ended, they can get younger with second-year pro Jace Sternberger and Deguara at the position. They still have one veteran, Marcedes Lewis, and the promising-but-oft-injured Robert Tonyan. Deguara was the third tight end off the board in a historically weak tight end class. The Packers made a run at Austin Hooper in free agency, but it got too experience so it probably should not come as a surprise they added to this position in the draft.

What's next: They have to draft a receiver at some point, right? Unless Gutekunst trades up, he'll have sit out the fourth round after using that pick to move up in the first round to take Jordan Love. As things stand heading into the final day, he has six picks but none before No. 175 overall (fifth round). He has three in the sixth (192, 208 and 209) plus two in the seventh (236, 242). Even if Gutekunst uses that fifth-rounder on a receiver, he will have gone three drafts without taking a receiver in one of the first three rounds. To this point, the only noteworthy addition to that group was low-cost receiver Devin Funchess ($2.5 million) late in free agency.

Rob Demovsky wrote:

94. Packers: TE Josiah Deguara, Cincinnati 
Grade: C-. Hard-working H-back type who had flashes of athleticism as a receiver. Some blocking prowess. But nothing spectacular about his game.

Chris Trapasso wrote:

Green Bay Packers: Josiah Deguara
Round 3 - Pick 30
TE Cincinnati

Draft Grade: D+
Pre-Draft Rank: 213
School: Cincinnati
Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 242

Eric Edholm's Commentary
I’m a big fan of Deguara the college football player, and he might prove to be a useful piece in the NFL, but this feels a couple rounds too early. He’s an undersized tight end who really projects to an H-back or fullback role. Deguara is a good receiver and will be a core member of the Packers’ special teams units. He’ll inspire with his effort and be willing to wear any hat ... but does that read Round 3?

Eric Edholm wrote:

JOSIAH DEGUARA 
CINCINNATI TE
Round 3 • Pick 30 (94)

The Packers needed a tight end with athleticism to add some flexibility to their "12" personnel packages. Deguara is a crafty route runner with soft hands and a knack for getting open.

UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
I don't mind any of the guys they picked, I simply the question the valiue, i.e. did they optimize the pick slots? Could they have traded up/back and gotten guys later. For example, nothing against the Cincinnati kid, but could we have hopped ahead of the Bears and gotten the Notre Dame Tight End? I think the BC running back would have been there in the 3rd round.

As I have harped upon in the past, and others have said over the last 2 days, we don't have the horses in the trenches to compete with the elite teams, esp SF and, on a comparative basis, that certainly didn't get any better.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
I can't speak about other organizations but it seems like GB has a habit of jumping a few rounds too early for the guys they like. It typically doesn't pan out.I wish they would have waited to get Dillon and Deguara.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
4 years ago

I don't mind any of the guys they picked, I simply the question the valiue, i.e. did they optimize the pick slots? Could they have traded up/back and gotten guys later. For example, nothing against the Cincinnati kid, but could we have hopped ahead of the Bears and gotten the Notre Dame Tight End? I think the BC running back would have been there in the 3rd round.

As I have harped upon in the past, and others have said over the last 2 days, we don't have the horses in the trenches to compete with the elite teams, esp SF and, on a comparative basis, that certainly didn't get any better.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

This. I don’t have anything against the guys we got. But I can’t shake the feeling that we’re missing out, or that we reached a lot for our selections.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
4 years ago
Good route runner. Haven't seen a highlight real but they're saying he gets open.

If he's a route runner guy, maybe that means he can contribute as a rookie? Matt needs TEs that can run block AND be involved in the passing game. That way defenses won't know what's coming if he's in there. Most guys take a year to develop that skill.

If he can do both as a rookie, that might be what they saw in him.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
porky88
4 years ago

I can't speak about other organizations but it seems like GB has a habit of jumping a few rounds too early for the guys they like. It typically doesn't pan out.I wish they would have waited to get Dillon and Deguara.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I think this is a fair point. Additionally, look at the picks in front of Dillon and Deguara. Denzel Mims went a couple of picks in front of GB and he would've been great value in round two. Bryan Edwards went 11 picks in front of Deguara and Devin Duvernay went a couple of picks in front of him. Both would've been great value in round three. I wonder if the board just didn't fall their way on day two.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
I don't know much about U of Cincy but I heard their offense is similar to what MLF wants to use in GB. That puts Deguaraa little bit a head on the rookie learning curve.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
4 years ago
OK, the 2020 NFL Draft is over and GB did not pick the way that many would have wished for. No WRs were picked. Some are crying that GB's greatest need has not been addressed. Let's look closer at GB's current roster of "Receivers"..

1. Devante Adams - WR
2. Devin Funchess - WR
3. Jake Kumerow - WR
4. Allen Lazard - WR
5. Darrius Shepard - WR
6. Equanimeous St.Brown - WR
7. Malik Taylor - WR
8. Marquez Valdes-Scantling - WR
9. Marcedes Lewis - TE
10. James Looney - TE
11. Jace Sternberger - TE
12. Robert Tonyan - TE
13. Josiah Deguara - TE
14. Ryan Grant - WR (Unrestricted Free Agent)
15. Damarea Crockett - RB
16. Tyler Ervin - RB
17. Aaron Jones - RB
18. Dexter Williams - RB
19. Jamaal Williams - RB
20. A.J. Dillon - RB
21. Elijah Wellman - FB
22. Malcolm Johnson - FB (Restricted Free Agent)

9 WRs, 5 TEs, 6 RBs, and 2 FBs are currently on the Packer roster. All fall into the category of those that can catch footballs. 22 players and I suspect that more will be signed through Free Agency.

GM Gutekunst has said that he found no WRs in the draft that he considered to be better than those already in his current stable of players when GB reached it's 2nd round pick. That was certainly a call that only he could make, but between now and September I suspect that the above list will change a lot. This GM has already showed that he is his own man and not subject to doing things as Ted Thompson did them. Look for WRs to be added and subtracted as we move forward.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (1h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (1h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (20h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.