uffda udfa
7 years ago
Which free agent in the NFL should the Packers be aggressive to try to pick up in free agency?

I won’t brush off these types of questions this year. I acknowledge Aaron Rodgers’ career has reached the point that a premium needs to be put on the present, so if the Packers can find a difference-maker in free agency, I’ll sign off on taking a swing for the fence. Who is that player? We won’t know until the tags go out and potential free agents have re-signed with their current teams.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-insider-inbox/article-1/I-wont-brush-off-free-agent-questions/2ac1b956-f99e-4321-a938-26c47f89a266#ixzz4YaJqMXCT 

---Are you kidding me? Vic? Vic Ketchman? The single biggest organization dupe there is has now FINALLY come around to the right position after so many years of failure? Wow. I'm literally in shock that this pom pon waving Packers org cheerleader is saying what I've been saying for years. It's sad it took him this long but considering who he is and how he thinks it's a true miracle he ever got here at all.

"I won't brush off these types of questions this year" Revelatory. It's almost as if Vic was greenlighted to write this because maybe just maybe we are FINALLY going to do the right thing?

Truly a momentous moment when the head cheerleader of the biggest Packers rah rah site out there has finally woken up to some reality. Let's git R done....for once. Let's not pick up the scraps...let's order the main course.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

northmianon
7 years ago
I said before in a different thread that I'm happy with our dbs. I think injuries and second year slumps had much to do with the struggles, and I feel they'll be really strong next year for it.

I want to see better front seven play. In a dream world, I want Calais Campbell and Melvin Ingram (and Dont'a Hightower, but he hates the cold and will also be expensive so....) Melvin will probably be franchised, or just plain too expensive. The Cardinals however are going to be more worried about locking up Chandler Jones. Calais might be able to be gotten. He's got a massive frame, gets sacks, interceptions, and forces fumbles. Imagine him and Mike Daniels anchoring the ends with (hopefully) an improving Kenny Clark in the middle.
uffda udfa
7 years ago
Calais Campbell is huge and would be huge. Ingram would be very exciting. Was disappointed when Chargers took him.

Will we finally pay to play? Even Vic says it's time.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Barfarn
7 years ago
Forget the blathering vocal minority haters claptrap; look at facts established by HISTORICAL REALITY:

FACT: Every year Ted is all-in, spending every penny of that years' cap [unless he holds back a little to take the lead like extending Bahketiri].

FACT: If he signs Perry, Tretter, Lang and a few others, there will be no money for a big $$ outside free agents.

FACT: If he doesn’t sign any or some of the above guys; history proves Ted will spend money on bigger $$$ outside free agents.

FACT: If there’s money left over, Ted will have in his pocket some 3rd or 4th rounds picks. This means the cost to sign, for example, C. Campbell will be not only the large contract. The cost will include the MUCH MUCH GREATER risk of signing outside guys and the LOSS of a 3rd and/or 4th round picks.

FACT: Ted has to compete with 31 other GMs, several of whom possess a competitive advantage over Ted because they didn’t spend all past cap $$$ [because they weren’t as aggressive, all-in as Ted is every year] and don’t risk losing the value of 3rd and 4th rnd picks [because they're worse drafters].

FACT: The more options a player has; the less likely he is to come to GB. Green Bay is a HUGE competitive disadvantage to every other NFL city; even Buffalo. Cold, lack of diversity, complete lack of Black culture, Paul Ryan/Walker, difficulty traveling to and from, small market, high taxes, night life shuts down at 9PM, lack of anonymousness [if black]; causes at least 50% of players [or their significant others] to eliminate GB from the list regardless of contract offer.

FACT: [In light of above facts] Ted is superman!

So if you want to discuss real potential FA signings; that list of UFA [not with expiring contracts] will be growing over the next 3-4 weeks.
uffda udfa
7 years ago
Where is Snopes when you really need them? Ted's peers have commented on him not being all in. Aaron Rodgers has commented on it just recently but someone would have you believe that it's a FACT it isn't true.

The great enabler of the acolytes and sycophants has appeared to rewrite reality once again. I'm sure it wasn't done to stir me up. A FACT that it wasn't because we have the finest GM ever. The Bill Belichick of GMs!

Meanwhile, our wonderful leader has us paying Cobb and Matthews ridiculous amounts while ignoring outside better players for the better part of 12 years.

If Cheerleader Vic has finally awakened, I'm not sure why so many are still willfully slumbering.
UserPostedImage

musccy
7 years ago

If Cheerleader Vic has finally awakened, I'm not sure why so many are still willfully slumbering.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I too was surprised to read that Monday.

I don't think many are "willfully slumbering," we all have our wish lists of FAs to bring in. Barfarn is right. It takes two to tango and GB is at a big competitive disadvantage.

I think we have 43mil in cap space. After re-signing our own, draft picks, and the extra holdover Ted always hangs on to going into the year how much will be left? 10 million, less? I honestly don't know. I'm just saying the reality is we're not going to have as much to spend as we all anticipate or wish.

uffda udfa
7 years ago

I too was surprised to read that Monday.

I don't think many are "willfully slumbering," we all have our wish lists of FAs to bring in. Barfarn is right. It takes two to tango and GB is at a big competitive disadvantage.

I think we have 43mil in cap space. After re-signing our own, draft picks, and the extra holdover Ted always hangs on to going into the year how much will be left? 10 million, less? I honestly don't know. I'm just saying the reality is we're not going to have as much to spend as we all anticipate or wish.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

It was shocking wasn't it, musccy?

The point is we DO NOT have to resign our own. Who says we need to burn up our cap every single season with our own guys? That seems to be a pretty weak justification for not stepping into FA. It doesn't matter where a guy comes from...better players are the goal...not just ones from your pipeline.

Yes, Barfarn is right...the Packers are at a competitive disadvantage, in theory, no question. However, how are we able to keep guys from leaving with that competitive disadvantage? We overpay them. We need to overpay better players on the outside as well. We've been exposed to story after story about Ted being close to getting something done. That doesn't matter. He wasn't close because someone chose a warmer locale...he was close because someone offered more and he was unwilling to pay any more than some supposed set number or draft position. To not get Moss because we wouldn't part with a higher pick was a crushing thing to learn. Same thing with Marshawn Lynch. How much opportunity was lost in just those two "close" failures alone? Tony Gonazlez is another. Ted is a fine middling plodding GM but Vic realizes it's finally time to stop the flatlining and do something. Close isn't close enough anymore. Total hogwash to suggest guys like Lynch and Moss didn't come here because of some competitive disadvantage. The ONLY competitive disadvantage we really have is an ultra conservative GM who keeps the bat on his shoulder and lets prime pitches get called for strike 3 all the time.

UserPostedImage

Barfarn
7 years ago

Forget the blathering vocal minority haters claptrap; look at facts established by HISTORICAL REALITY:

FACT: Every year Ted is all-in, spending every penny of that years' cap [unless he holds back a little to take the lead like extending Bahketiri].

FACT: If he signs Perry, Tretter, Lang and a few others, there will be no money for a big $$ outside free agents.

FACT: If he doesn’t sign any or some of the above guys; history proves Ted will spend money on bigger $$$ outside free agents.

FACT: If there’s money left over, Ted will have in his pocket some 3rd or 4th rounds picks. This means the cost to sign, for example, C. Campbell will be not only the large contract. The cost will include the MUCH MUCH GREATER risk of signing outside guys and the LOSS of a 3rd and/or 4th round picks.

FACT: Ted has to compete with 31 other GMs, several of whom possess a competitive advantage over Ted because they didn’t spend all past cap $$$ [because they weren’t as aggressive, all-in as Ted is every year] and don’t risk losing the value of 3rd and 4th rnd picks [because they're worse drafters].

FACT: The more options a player has; the less likely he is to come to GB. Green Bay is a HUGE competitive disadvantage to every other NFL city; even Buffalo. Cold, lack of diversity, complete lack of Black culture, Paul Ryan/Walker, difficulty traveling to and from, small market, high taxes, night life shuts down at 9PM, lack of anonymousness [if black]; causes at least 50% of players [or their significant others] to eliminate GB from the list regardless of contract offer.

FACT: [In light of above facts] Ted is superman!

So if you want to discuss real potential FA signings; that list of UFA [not with expiring contracts] will be growing over the next 3-4 weeks.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Where is Snopes when you really need them? Ted's peers have commented on him not being all in. Aaron Rodgers has commented on it just recently but someone would have you believe that it's a FACT it isn't true.

The great enabler of the acolytes and sycophants has appeared to rewrite reality once again. I'm sure it wasn't done to stir me up. A FACT that it wasn't because we have the finest GM ever. The Bill Belichick of GMs!

Meanwhile, our wonderful leader has us paying Cobb and Matthews ridiculous amounts while ignoring outside better players for the better part of 12 years.

This is EXACTLY how KellyAnn Conway would have responded:

Bowling Green Massacres, alternate facts, deceptions, outright evasions, a few vacuous pre-written, rehearsed natterings; as if she lives in some alternate universe and her make-up troweled on.

FACT: CM3 was extended in 2013-H'ed have been a FA in 2014. There was no one from another team anywhere near as good that could have been signed. And in future years David, Houston, VonMiller, Kerrigan never hit the market and Jerry Hughes, Irvin, and Baron all signed for $9M per. Jamie Collins just got 12.5M for goodness sake.

And instead of Cobb, Cruz at 43M for 5 years [the year before]? Torrey Smith 40M for 5 years? Maclin 55M for 5 years? Cobb is wayyyyyyy better than Maclin [oh but he is fast] for less money

And would ANY of these players AND THEIR FAMILIES come to GB, if they have 6-15 other cities to chose from?!!!!!!! This is Ted's biggest challenge; it's one NE doesn't have.

Your examples establish that Ted is a genius. Even using 100% hindsight, you cant knock a move Ted made.
And no NORMAL human was super critical of these moves at the time. The most critical argued that Ted may have paid 1-2M per more than he should have. And of course, overall IN HINDSIGHT Cobb and Clay have disappointed; but it is about injury not performance. If healthy these contracts would have been good to great. GMs operate in the REAL world not a hypothetical or hindsight world. The contract extension of Bahktieri, who has had a number of injuries is a great signing; well if he blows out both ACLs or hurts his neck next august and retires or becomes Barclay; the signing was no less great.

Again its easy to throw stones from Pee Wee's playhouse and tell floory to, "go all IN"; or Cowboy Curtis to, "take charge." But its a REAL WORLD KellyAnn Pee Wee Rubin-Conway with 31 other GMs. Cutting Clay, Perry and Peppers to sign VonMiller, Houston and Kerrigan looks great on paper. But, in the end this is just you, George Costanza, on the sofa telling Jerry how you can swing a trade for both Griffey Jr and Bonds "and not really give up that much."

You avoid truth and examples KellyAnn-George Pee Wee Rubin-Conway-Costanza; because you know your positions using HONEST realities is indefensible.

For this year. Let's abandon hindsight. Sit down and write out exactly how Ted should spend the 43M and I'll show you how you're wrong. This way you wont get to flippty-KellyAnn-floop around. Ya know just like about Perry is a bust; Jones is a bust, Nelson wont recover, Adams is a bust, GB will go undefeated after SD win in 2015; GB will be lucky to win 7 games after Redskins loss; etc.
uffda udfa
7 years ago

This is EXACTLY how KellyAnn Conway would have responded:

Bowling Green Massacres, alternate facts, deceptions, outright evasions, a few vacuous pre-written, rehearsed natterings; as if she lives in some alternate universe and her make-up troweled on.

FACT: CM3 was extended in 2013-H'ed have been a FA in 2014. There was no one from another team anywhere near as good that could have been signed. And in future years David, Houston, VonMiller, Kerrigan never hit the market and Jerry Hughes, Irvin, and Baron all signed for $9M per. Jamie Collins just got 12.5M for goodness sake.

And instead of Cobb, Cruz at 43M for 5 years [the year before]? Torrey Smith 40M for 5 years? Maclin 55M for 5 years? Cobb is wayyyyyyy better than Maclin [oh but he is fast] for less money

And would ANY of these players AND THEIR FAMILIES come to GB, if they have 6-15 other cities to chose from?!!!!!!! This is Ted's biggest challenge; it's one NE doesn't have.

Your examples establish that Ted is a genius. Even using 100% hindsight, you cant knock a move Ted made.
And no NORMAL human was super critical of these moves at the time. The most critical argued that Ted may have paid 1-2M per more than he should have. And of course, overall IN HINDSIGHT Cobb and Clay have disappointed; but it is about injury not performance. If healthy these contracts would have been good to great. GMs operate in the REAL world not a hypothetical or hindsight world. The contract extension of Bahktieri, who has had a number of injuries is a great signing; well if he blows out both ACLs or hurts his neck next august and retires or becomes Barclay; the signing was no less great.

Again its easy to throw stones from Pee Wee's playhouse and tell floory to, "go all IN"; or Cowboy Curtis to, "take charge." But its a REAL WORLD KellyAnn Pee Wee Rubin-Conway with 31 other GMs. Cutting Clay, Perry and Peppers to sign VonMiller, Houston and Kerrigan looks great on paper. But, in the end this is just you, George Costanza, on the sofa telling Jerry how you can swing a trade for both Griffey Jr and Bonds "and not really give up that much."

You avoid truth and examples KellyAnn-George Pee Wee Rubin-Conway-Costanza; because you know your positions using HONEST realities is indefensible.

For this year. Let's abandon hindsight. Sit down and write out exactly how Ted should spend the 43M and I'll show you how you're wrong. This way you wont get to flippty-KellyAnn-floop around. Ya know just like about Perry is a bust; Jones is a bust, Nelson wont recover, Adams is a bust, GB will go undefeated after SD win in 2015; GB will be lucky to win 7 games after Redskins loss; etc.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

I absolutely love the increasing intensity of your protestations.

Tell me, please, why we needed to pay the money to our own when we could've just as easily paid it to an outsider? You seem oblivious to that possibility. Cobb wayyy better than Maclin? Really? Why? Maclin can produce without Jordy Nelson. Can Randall? My goodness. You write about things that flatter your argument and conclude Ted is nearly infallible while Ted's peers and Aaron Rodgers say the exact same things I do here. Yet, you continually try and keep the narrative on the fact Ted can do no wrong. Why? I'd like an answer. Why are you such a groupie for Ted Thompson in light of what several front office types have said about him and Aaron? It's indefensible but here you are, again, defending him.

Call me Kelly or Al or whomever. Irrelevant. Your blinders are firmly on when it comes to our GM. No problem if you happen to like the guy but you've taken it to some wild extreme that is bizarre to me.

You post as if Ted does happen to add an outsider that it would be a mistake, meanwhile, the Patriots do it as a matter of practice and have lapped us several times in the area of success. So, I know, by common sense, that if the 7 time SB appearing Pats use FA as a regular avenue and we don't and we have just 1 appearance it's clear which one works better. Save for in your world where Ted has done no wrong? Puhleeeaaase. Paying James Starks 3 million last year was a monumental gaffe. Believing Randall and Rollins could fill roles in the secondary was a major mistake. His draft mistakes are lengthy. He overpays his own...not even sure why you want to debate that? What you're doing is falling into the exact trap so many do. 8 straight playoff appearances means Ted is doing something right? LOL. No. 1 SuperBowl in 12 years with Favre and Rodgers proves he's doing plenty wrong.

No rebuttal to the Moss and Marshawn stuff? Ted being Ted screwed us big time in both those instances. That is a FACT. He is a plodding conservative guy who doesn't go for it. He cares about the next 3 seasons more than he cares about the next one. He's failed to build a defense in 6 long miserable years after allocating tons of picks, money and Peppers into the fold. Not his fault? Yes...it...is. If Ted thinks he's provided the right talent and it's not producing then he should be firing the HC so a new staff can be brought in. He hasn't. He loves MM. There is a total disconnect like a giant shield of cloudy thinking that stops so many from seeing what's going on here. SOMEONE is responsible and it starts at the top when we're not making the big show.

The subject was Vic Ketchman but I see you have to just dive in right from the beginning to defend Ted. Again, why?
UserPostedImage

PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago

Tell me, please, why we needed to pay the money to our own when we could've just as easily paid it to an outsider?

Paying somebody who has proven themselves in the organization and system vs bringing in a FA who hasn't. Across the NFL, more FA fail to live up to billing when they move to a different team compared to those who stay

pretty basic concept.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (49m) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (49m) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (49m) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (1h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (1h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (3h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (8h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (8h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.