luigis
8 years ago
I'd like to start this discussion with something I take as a fact: There's a problem between Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers. If you want to dispute this then you are welcomed but the rest of my post won't make much sense.

So let's assume there's some kind of problem, rivalry, personal or professional thing between Mike and Aaron. Let's analyze potential solutions:

1. Fire Mike
2. Trade Aaron
3. Let them solve it in the offseason

1. Fire Mike

First we need to find a motive to do that, so this can only happen if we lose to Washington next week then having lost our last 3 games they might find a excuse to say thank you to Mike and call it the end of a very nice chapter in the Packers' history. I think firing Mike is good for us because a new coach will bring a fresher environment to all the players. I figure it has to be boring/tiring to have exactly the same routine year after year.

2. Trade Aaron

This is probably ridiculous, Rodgers is probably the best QB in the NFL and he has at least 5 more years to play at top level. I can see this a possibility only if Aaron wanted out and we had an excellent backup waiting, but that's not the case. Is he declining naturally? That's an intriguing thought but I find it difficult to believe because it just happened in a very short time span, he went from Joe Montana to Blaine Gabbert in less than two weeks and that can't be just aging.
Granted we can even get a couple of 1st round picks for him but then we'll be Chicago until we find our next franchise QB. Won't happen.

3. Let them solve it in the offseason

This is what will probably happen, we might win at Washington and lose to Arizona or we might even lose to Washington and call it another good season reaching the playoffs. I don't know what the problem is between Mike and Aaron but if they can solve it with Jordy and Ty back we can have a good team for the next season but if the relationship is worn out and they are just sick of each other then our team will be a bomb waiting to explode. It will be really disgusting to end the season in a bad note just because our HC and our QB can't get along any more.

So it seems we need to hope that we either lose to Washington by disaster and somebody has the balls to clear the house or we really hope that Aaron and Mike find a way to be friends next year, sadly I don't see that happening so I think we'll just lose another year of Rodgers career until we can finally fire Mike McCarthy.

Play along, what do you guys see in our future?
Luis
Yerko
8 years ago
Solution #1- I wouldn't be surprised to see this if the Packers do not win next weekend at Washington. I also do not think it would be the right thing to do like most because as you look around the league, there are only a few that have had the success he has had with a team. I don't want to be one of those organizations that begins a coaching carousel because we cannot replace MM. Then again, maybe there is a candidate out there with fresh ideas that can utilize the weapons the Packers have.
I always refer back to MM's game called against New England last year in which he was praised by Belicheat afterwards. That has been non-existent this season (I know he has only had play calling duties for a handful of games. There isn't much difference in his game plan and Clements...)

Solution #2- Unrealistic. I know you added it for discussion purposes but I can't put that tinfoil hat on that some others wear. At least you mentioned a few 1st round picks and not a 4th round pick like some around here have mentioned with this scenario.

Solution #3- I can see this happening even if the Packers were to lose against Washington. It becomes an even more realistic option if they win at Washington. It wouldn't make me upset but we'd be relying on two very stubborn individuals to make amends. Then we have the possibility of another season wasted.

If I had to pick, I'd probably be in the minority and select solution #3. I only choose this option because I can't think of a coach that would make this team better at this time. It seems that anyone that is on board the fire Mike option doesn't have any idea either.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago
We've been in this situation before. The only difference is that Hundley is a year away. I look at Tolzien as a Hasselbeck-like caretaker, although I realize most don't.

Granted Aaron (thanks to Mike) has played at a high level, but it doesn't take much to find someone who will do a better job, if he's gonna continue point shaving like a little bitch.

If the league looks hard at those last three plays Aaron could find himself u dear scrutiny. Those last two lackadaisical INTs are very suspect as well.

Is Aaron good? Yes. But not if he's gonna tank our offense on purpose.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
warhawk
8 years ago
I think both McCarthy and Rodgers are mutually frustrated with the offense and there may be some differences of opinion there but I highly doubt Rodgers would be on board with a new regime.

The Packers are not firing McCarthy and they aren't trading Rodgers.

The problems I see are the Oline has been beat up the last half of the season. Most of the starters have practiced little during the week trying to be as ready as possible on Sundays. The issues with the receivers has been gone over a million times. They can't get open against man coverage for nothing and between these issues it hasn't been much fun to watch.

Change I could see after this season is a fresh mind coming in as Offensive Coordinator and adding talent that will help whoever that is get the players needed for the offense to succeed. This team needs the players and the plays to stretch the field again that requires defenses to defend the entire field and I would welcome an aggressive O-coordinator that can do that. IMO getting Jordy back along with one other accomplished down field threat would make a huge difference. What a waste having a QB that can go long but can't because they have no one that can get open down field.

I have resolved myself to the fact this team probably isn't going to do much this year and what sucks is that the defense has played at a level we all were hoping for only to be wasted by a struggling offense nobody saw coming. I miss the days of Jordy and Jennings and Rodgers taking four or five shots down field opening up all kinds of shorter opportunities at 10 or fifteen yards. This year, unfortunately, they got in a crack they couldn't fix.

"The train is leaving the station."
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago
I see no reason to believe there is a problem between them, or a big problem.

Even assuming there is, Option 3 is all that is likely to happen.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
nerdmann
8 years ago

I think both McCarthy and Rodgers are mutually frustrated with the offense and there may be some differences of opinion there but I highly doubt Rodgers would be on board with a new regime.

The Packers are not firing McCarthy and they aren't trading Rodgers.

The problems I see are the Oline has been beat up the last half of the season. Most of the starters have practiced little during the week trying to be as ready as possible on Sundays. The issues with the receivers has been gone over a million times. They can't get open against man coverage for nothing and between these issues it hasn't been much fun to watch.

Change I could see after this season is a fresh mind coming in as Offensive Coordinator and adding talent that will help whoever that is get the players needed for the offense to succeed. This team needs the players and the plays to stretch the field again that requires defenses to defend the entire field and I would welcome an aggressive O-coordinator that can do that. IMO getting Jordy back along with one other accomplished down field threat would make a huge difference. What a waste having a QB that can go long but can't because they have no one that can get open down field.

I have resolved myself to the fact this team probably isn't going to do much this year and what sucks is that the defense has played at a level we all were hoping for only to be wasted by a struggling offense nobody saw coming. I miss the days of Jordy and Jennings and Rodgers taking four or five shots down field opening up all kinds of shorter opportunities at 10 or fifteen yards. This year, unfortunately, they got in a crack they couldn't fix.

Originally Posted by: Pete Perkins 

Not having more than one T on the roster s a separate issue. But this bullshit about "guys not getting open" just doesn't hold up anymore after this game.

If you want a new OC, McAdoo and Philbin are both available, but then you're gonna have to promote Edgar Bennett to "Assistent Head Coach," like everyone else.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
gbguy20
8 years ago
I may be on and off the fire mccarthy bandwagon, but I'm mostly off for reasons already stated above, who would replace him? I am 100% on board a reshuffling of the coaching staff, however. It has been status quo for far too long. Doing all the hiring in house is a problem imo. Reshuffle the guys worth keeping, and put them in the right position for them. Let the rest go. Don't have one coach coaching 2 positions. Bring in fresh blood to fill out the coaching staff. It is time to cut ties with some of these guys. Loyalty to a fault doesn't help anything.
steveishere
8 years ago
Letting them solve it would be ok if it wasn't so painfully obvious that Mike has no solutions or is too arrogant/stubborn to adapt. I don't see this just getting fixed on its own. Either Mike has to go or we need to bring in an offensive coordinator from outside the current staff. To me the current situation looks un fixable unless the blow up either the staff or the personnel.
gotarace
8 years ago
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2605232-which-nfl-head-coach-could-still-be-on-the-hot-seat-after-black-monday 
There is rumblings outside of our circle...I'll leave this here.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
8 years ago

I may be on and off the fire mccarthy bandwagon, but I'm mostly off for reasons already stated above, who would replace him? I am 100% on board a reshuffling of the coaching staff, however. It has been status quo for far too long. Doing all the hiring in house is a problem imo. Reshuffle the guys worth keeping, and put them in the right position for them. Let the rest go. Don't have one coach coaching 2 positions. Bring in fresh blood to fill out the coaching staff. It is time to cut ties with some of these guys. Loyalty to a fault doesn't help anything.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Who would replace him?? Are you kidding us? Quite a few. For starters, John Gruden and Mike Shannahan. Even Mike Holgren or Tom Coughlin sheeeeesh!!
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (16h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (17h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.