DoddPower
8 years ago
Aaron Rodgers does much more to help his team win than JJ Watt does. To me, that makes him the better player. Is he the best athlete? Obviously not. Did he have an extraordinary amazing season for the position? It was very very good, but similar to others. Everything is skewed to benefit the quarterback position, too. But the fact remains, Aaron Rodgers does more of the most important aspect of the game: scoring lots of points.
sschind
8 years ago

Aaron Rodgers does much more to help his team win than JJ Watt does. To me, that makes him the better player. Is he the best athlete? Obviously not. Did he have an extraordinary amazing season for the position? It was very very good, but similar to others. Everything is skewed to benefit the quarterback position, too. But the fact remains, Aaron Rodgers does more of the most important aspect of the game: scoring lots of points.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

To play devils advocate I would say a QB is in a much better position and has many more chances to do more to help his team win than a DE. Assume for a second an even number of snaps for offense and defense per game. A QB is a critical piece of the play on half of the snaps per game. They do not take plays off. Even the best defensive players probably take a few snaps off (just guessing I don't know if Watt played every defensive snap) and opposing offenses can take steps to minimize any defensive players impact with their play calling. The fact that so few can do it for Watt is a testament to his greatness.

People complain all the time that you can't compare QBs from different eras but they have no problem comparing players from different positions. You said yourself that Rodgers' stats, while amazing, were not head and shoulders above other QBs stats. That is not the case with Watt.

I also don't buy into the whole "no one would trade Rodgers for Watt but everyone would trade Watt for Rodgers" talk either. Again, its comparing apples to oranges. Would you rather have the best QB in the game or the best defensive player. In a QB driven league the answer should be obvious but again, like you said, with everything skewed towards the QB position its not a fair comparison.

You made it clear that your main criteria was helping his team score points and on that I can't argue. I'm not knocking your choice or your reasoning just putting a little different spin on it.

texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
Watt is a fantastic player, and we're fortunate that he also has a connection to us. However, if he is out - for a game or a few games or a season, does he mean as much to winning and losing as Rodgers? Not even close. Yeah, QBs in general have an advantage that way, but there has never been a QB who performs like Aaron Rodgers.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
TheKanataThrilla
8 years ago

I also don't buy into the whole "no one would trade Rodgers for Watt but everyone would trade Watt for Rodgers" talk either. Again, its comparing apples to oranges. Would you rather have the best QB in the game or the best defensive player. In a QB driven league the answer should be obvious but again, like you said, with everything skewed towards the QB position its not a fair comparison.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

But what is not to get? To me best player has the largest trade value. Who would a person starting a new franchise given his choice select? It is Rodgers every day of the week. I am not bashing Watt in any way, but the reality he will never be worth more in the eyes of a GM than Rodgers.
uffda udfa
8 years ago
As the article points out... there are QB's who are in Aaron's class, but there are no DE's in JJ Watt's. This guy can dominate like no one else as a 3-4 DE. That's remarkable.

Watt is 26...Rodgers is 31. I would guess they both have the same amount of good years left in them.

Houston ain't done jack with their great DE... We have done much better with our QB. Flip the players around and we're Houston and they're Green Bay. The Scott Tolzien Packers would suck with Watt on D. The Houston Texans would be a playoff force with Rodgers.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
8 years ago

As the article points out... there are QB's who are in Aaron's class, but there are no DE's in JJ Watt's. This guy can dominate like no one else as a 3-4 DE.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Under this premise, I can't wait until a kicker has no one in his class!
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
8 years ago
Rating as to how well the player played his position I have no problem with Watt as number one. If I was lacking at both positions and had to choose one player for my team there's no question it would be Rodgers.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
dhazer
8 years ago
You guys seem to be missing the facts and that is this was done by the fellow players, and I think they have a little bit more knowledge and say so in this then we do 😝

I agree with what the players came up with and unlike everything that thinks Rodgers is god. You say Rodgers is by far the best player, but yet what do you base it off of? Stats well their are other qbs that put up better numbers. Wins and losses well once again there are qb with better records than the god. Lets try playoff records oops he isn't that good in them either. Is he a top 3 qb I would say yes, but to be honest I think I might even take Tom Brady over Rodgers. Hmmmmm lets see been to the conference championship 9 times in 13 years, and 6 super bowls in that same time period with 4 wins.

But anyway what has Rodgers done on defense? Watt has performed on offense and on defense and his peers recognize that thus the #1 ranking.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
beast
8 years ago

Robbed. MVP is more prestigious though.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Yeah I see this like the MVP vs offensive player of the year award ... often times the MVP plays offense but doesn't seem to get the offensive player of the year award, because they don't want the same person getting both most years. Same here, someone different getting it.

Also on that note, I think it's kind of unfair the MVP (and Heisman award for that matter) always seem like it's either a QB award or an offense player award if the QBs don't amaze. Kind of wish they had more awards for different positions...

Like maybe an award for the best players at each position
Breaking up inside OL and outside OTs, as well as having 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB as an "edge rushers" group, then inside DL and non 3-4 LB group, etc. Basically so they had to pick the best person at each position each season.

Then have some overall awards, like offensive/defense awards, which could be POTY (player of the year) or MVP type.

UserPostedImage
Porforis
8 years ago

You guys seem to be missing the facts and that is this was done by the fellow players, and I think they have a little bit more knowledge and say so in this then we do 😝

I agree with what the players came up with and unlike everything that thinks Rodgers is god. You say Rodgers is by far the best player, but yet what do you base it off of? Stats well their are other qbs that put up better numbers.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

We can debate all day about what stats matter the most but I'm of the strong opinion that QB rating and TD:INT ratio are the most important for a team's success. Both of which Rodgers is king at.

Wins and losses well once again there are qb with better records than the god.

By that logic, Datone Jones is a lot better than JJ Watt. If you're going to argue wins and losses and hold that against Rodgers, I can't see how you can't do the same with Watt which would be a larger hit on Watt than Rodgers.

Lets try playoff records oops he isn't that good in them either.

In this case, Watt's disqualified.

Is he a top 3 qb I would say yes, but to be honest I think I might even take Tom Brady over Rodgers. Hmmmmm lets see been to the conference championship 9 times in 13 years, and 6 super bowls in that same time period with 4 wins.

Not going to argue with that. Hard to choose between Luck, Brady, and Rodgers. I think Rodger's a bit overrated. Not to say he's not great, but he's not a god.

But anyway what has Rodgers done on defense? Watt has performed on offense and on defense and his peers recognize that thus the #1 ranking.

I still don't get the logic of why someone performing on both sides of the ball gives him a huge jump on someone that plays on only one. Are players that play at some times on offense, defense, and special teams better than Rodgers and Watt? Or is their overall impact on their team more important?
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (23h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

9h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

9h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

18h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

19h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.