DoddPower
9 years ago

Do you wonder why Aaron Rodgers greatness is used as a weapon to discredit Ted Thompson, yet, Brett Favre is not used in the same manner for Ron Wolf?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Rodgers is "the best QB to ever play in the NFL," apparently.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Rodgers is "the best QB to ever play in the NFL," apparently.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

By virtue of QB rating he is. Of course, we could get into all these sentimental debates about this and that but the NFL's adopted measure of QB's shows Rodgers to be the greatest of all time.

I guess you'll even sacrifice Rodgers on the altar of Ted Thompson to try and debunk me. For TT? Wow.

To mi_keys... passing on Rodgers? Huh? What were you trying to say? Yes, Wolf rode Brett but he was smart enough to add pieces like Reggie, Sean, Santana, Andre, Wilkerson, Robinson, Howard, etc. Ron KNEW he had a team that could win due to it's QB and tried maximizing it. Yes, Ron regrets not giving Brett more weapons...he is a winner who is about perfection and it would never be enough if they didn't win it all the time which they didn't.
Ted Thompson doesn't have the championship drive Ron had. Who debates that? You?

Ron wanted to win and went to back to backers. That hasn't been done since the Lombardi years when it was easier.

Being back to back bowls is a sign of a dominant team not a fart in the wind like we were. We got hot after barely getting in the playoffs, Desmond Bishop made a game saving tackle in Philly and Rodgers went crazy in a couple of those games and we won. It wasn't a dominant performance like Seattle had when they dismantled Denver.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

musccy
9 years ago
The Ron Wolf Packers lost to a Denver team that they were 11 point favorites to. That doesn't seem like domination.

15-1 proved to be a bit of a paper tiger, but they certainly weren't farts in the wind.

If you're going to say the whole 2010 SB year was a fluke because of a Bishop tackle, can we say the previous year would have been a SB Championship season if an OT facemask was called?

mi_keys
9 years ago

By virtue of QB rating he is. Of course, we could get into all these sentimental debates about this and that but the NFL's adopted measure of QB's shows Rodgers to be the greatest of all time.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Because QB rating is the only measure by which QBs should be judged, even across eras. I guess Brad Johnson with his 82.5 career rating was a better QB than Bart Starr with his 80.5.

To mi_keys... passing on Rodgers? Huh? What were you trying to say?

You are either willfully obtuse or your reading comprehension is utterly abysmal. From my post on the page before:

If I have a choice of a two scenarios, the first in which I have a 5% chance to win a title this year and a 5% chance to win next year, the second I have a 4% chance this year and a 7% next; you take the second scenario because it maximizes your chances of winning a title, even though you aren't selling out for today.

A real example of this was drafting Rodgers. We had other needs. We could have thrown all our eggs into the last few years with Favre basket. Instead we took the pick we believed would sustain success in the long hall. This is diametrically opposed to your constant strive to win today rhetoric, yet it's a decision you dismiss as obvious. It's not obvious if you religiously stick to this go for broke mantra.

mi_keys wrote:

In a response to my post, you included the following:

Rodgers is the pearl of great price that you sell and forsake all others for. A rare unique period in franchise history and we have a man worried about waiting for a 4th round comp pick to develop so we might hit 8-8 when Aaron is gone.

uffda udfa wrote:

To that post, my reply included:

Everything you said about Rodgers could've been and was said about Favre. It doesn't address how your mantra would dictate passing on Rodgers in the draft.

mi_keys wrote:

Favre is one of the all time greats. Sitting there with Favre in hand, Ted Thompson used his first pick ever on the future instead of going for broke and trying to win today. Had he stuck to the mantra of going for broke, it would have necessitated using that pick on a player that could help the Packers win in those last few years with Favre.

Ted Thompson doesn't have the championship drive Ron had. Who debates that? You?

uffda udfa wrote:

Then props to Ted Thompson for half-assing it to the same number of titles as Ron.

Ron wanted to win and went to back to backers. That hasn't been done since the Lombardi years when it was easier.

uffda udfa wrote:

And? We lost Super Bowl XXXII. And this isn't consistent with other posts you've made. From this very thread, a post you made in August:

You play sports to WIN. Not winning your final game of every season is LOSING.

uffda udfa wrote:

Not winning your final game of every season is LOSING. Unless of course you're Ron Wolf and uffda is trying to make a point.

Being back to back bowls is a sign of a dominant team not a fart in the wind like we were. We got hot after barely getting in the playoffs, Desmond Bishop made a game saving tackle in Philly and Rodgers went crazy in a couple of those games and we won. It wasn't a dominant performance like Seattle had when they dismantled Denver.

uffda udfa wrote:

The 2010 Packers had the 2nd best scoring defense, the 10th best scoring offense, and the 2nd best point differential of any team that season. They never trailed by more than 7 at any point all year. All of that in spite of the worst injury record of any NFL team that season. From 2010-11 the Packers won 19 straight, a franchise record and one of the longest streaks in NFL history. Calling that team a fart in the wind is ludicrous.

Last time I checked Bishop and Rodgers were players Ted Thompson acquired. They made plays that led us to a championship. Since when is that a knock on the GM that acquired them?
Born and bred a cheesehead
uffda udfa
9 years ago

The Ron Wolf Packers lost to a Denver team that they were 11 point favorites to. That doesn't seem like domination.

15-1 proved to be a bit of a paper tiger, but they certainly weren't farts in the wind.

If you're going to say the whole 2010 SB year was a fluke because of a Bishop tackle, can we say the previous year would have been a SB Championship season if an OT facemask was called?

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Oh my... are you joking? That was a WC weekend game. A WILD CARD GAME!!!!! You have them in the SB because of a hit to the facemask that had zero effect on the play? Delusional. Completely.

musccy...I'm bamboozled, again... why did Ted Thompson take Rodgers. Please, tell me how many first round rookies were the difference in winning a SB or not? Favre could've taken off that off-season. You have a chance to catch lightning there... he went against his usual nature of NEEDING to plug in a rookie because he doesn't use FA much.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

sschind
9 years ago
Must suck to be a Milwaukee Bucks fan. What and absolutely wasted season. Terrible, a complete embarrassment. If I were a Bucks fan I would hang my head in shame and burn all my Bucks stuff because the season was a complete and utter failure. Another year with no NBA championship in Milwaukee. They are the laughing stock of the entire NBA.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Bucks season ain't over yet!! Fear the Deer!!!!!
UserPostedImage
musccy
9 years ago

Oh my... are you joking? That was a WC weekend game. A WILD CARD GAME!!!!! You have them in the SB because of a hit to the facemask that had zero effect on the play? Delusional. Completely.

musccy...I'm bamboozled, again... why did Ted Thompson take Rodgers. Please, tell me how many first round rookies were the difference in winning a SB or not? Favre could've taken off that off-season. You have a chance to catch lightning there... he went against his usual nature of NEEDING to plug in a rookie because he doesn't use FA much.

Yes I'm joking/sarcastic, just as I assume you were when you were when you were saying the Packers' SB season was just thanks to a lucky tackle by Bishop.

I'm flummoxed by where you're going with your second question/point. You select good players that will help your team. Datone was supposed to be for the read option QBs. Clay was a stud about to be taken off the board. Burt was getting older and he believed in Aaron's talent so he took him. Simple answers, not sure what you're getting at here.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Yes I'm joking/sarcastic, just as I assume you were when you were when you were saying the Packers' SB season was just thanks to a lucky tackle by Bishop.

I'm flummoxed by where you're going with your second question/point. You select good players that will help your team. Datone was supposed to be for the read option QBs. Clay was a stud about to be taken off the board. Burt was getting older and he believed in Aaron's talent so he took him. Simple answers, not sure what you're getting at here.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

I was only saying that not taking a player of need was not against the idea of going for it every year. I have said in past posts that you do need to have a vision for the future but you can't go overboard with worrying about the future while ignoring now. He got a gift in Aaron Rodgers... a guy who could in theory be his QB for the next 15 years. Why one earth would he take a position of need and miss a guy who was the potential 1st overall? Yes, I think Ted Thompson should go for it every year with Aaron Rodgers as much as is possible...I just think he leaves too much on the table each year to proportionately try having it 5 years from now. Wasteful. I want THIS season to be special...I ain't worried about 5 years from now when the ball kicks to start THIS season.

UserPostedImage

musccy
9 years ago

I was only saying that not taking a player of need was not against the idea of going for it every year. I have said in past posts that you do need to have a vision for the future but you can't go overboard with worrying about the future while ignoring now. He got a gift in Aaron Rodgers... a guy who could in theory be his QB for the next 15 years. Why one earth would he take a position of need and miss a guy who was the potential 1st overall? Yes, I think Ted Thompson should go for it every year with Aaron Rodgers as much as is possible...I just think he leaves too much on the table each year to proportionately try having it 5 years from now. Wasteful. I want THIS season to be special...I ain't worried about 5 years from now when the ball kicks to start THIS season.

So how was he supposed to go for broke? Revis? Suh? Ngata? Who is a "can't miss" insta-impact in this draft to trade up for?

what if Ted went all in this year and Aaron Rodgers pulls a Brady and torn ACL week 1? Give Aaron Rodgers and company the chance so any given year could be the year, not just 1 shot. Denver and Philly both recently put all chips on the table and...?

We're also forgetting there are players on the roster we don't truly know about. Daniels and Finley certainly made big sides after year one. Ted essentially "red shirted" Carl "hair on fire" Bradford, Abby, Goodson, Janis, Thorton, etc. Are they studs/duds? You and I don't know yet. I don't love our cb/LB situation but I also acknowledge Ted and company have a better grasp of this than I do, and his draft and UDFA moves will shed some light on this.