Zero2Cool
9 years ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Richard Rodgers stood in the Green Bay Packers' locker room on Tuesday with his iPad clutched in his left hand.

He was headed to a meeting to watch film of that day's organized team activity with his position coach, Jerry Fontenot, and the rest of the tight ends.

But when that meeting was over, he planned to power on his team-issued tablet and watch more film -- not of anything he has done since the Packers picked him in the third round of last month's draft, but of what the tight end is supposed to look like in the Packers' offense.

Rob Demovsky  wrote:

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago
Hopefully Rodgers will do more than just tease us every goddamn year while running his mouth.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
StarrMax1
9 years ago
http://www.totalpackers.com/2014/06/12/richard-rodgers-years-otas-darling/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+totalpackers+%28Total+Packers%29 

for some reason I can't cut and paste the link and make it work?

Didn't want to start another thread, so if anyone can help, would appreciate it.

Pulled this from the news feed, a more down to earth type of article.

Finley only had 8 receptions his rookie year, so let's not get to excited about any of these guys till they put the pads on.
Yerko
9 years ago
Anyone can drop passes....it can't be THAT hard.

[sarcasm]
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago
Finley actually only had 6 catches as a rookie... when you look at Finley's stats over his career it does make you wonder what all the hullabaloo is all about with Jermichael. I think Mike McCarthy answered that in the quotes from the Lyerla piece. He basically just said that defenses play the Packers differently when he's on the field, so I guess he alters defenses making it easier for everyone else even when he's not doing anything. A valuable decoy who could drop a key pass now and again. Mike McCarthy also went on to say he had a huge catch radius something Lyerla doesn't have relative to Finley.

Will Rodgers (no pun) alter defenses like Finley. I doubt it. No speed. For me, I'll be more excited if he can catch the ball with regularity something Finley could not do. One thing to do it in an OTA and another to do it when some rabid LB is on you in regular season.

It is interesting to note the 2nd and 3rd round pass catching selections both had scouting reports that included rock solid hands. There has to be more to that than just the obvious. I wonder if they tired of watching Finley and Jones (in his earlier years) drop key easy passes?

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DarkaneRules
9 years ago
If you watch the interview with Rodgers, he is very well-spoken and has a team first attitude. He looks and sounds the part. Look forward to see how he looks when the pads go on in training camp.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
warhawk
9 years ago
I don't think the Packers need a J. Finley today like they did in years past. Up until last year there was no run game so the burden was on Rodgers and all the receivers on the field to score.

Finley isn't the greatest blocker and has inconsistent hands. Yes, he posed problems for defenses but the team is more rounded now and as long as the TE can be an asset blocking and make the 3rd down catch to move the chains this offense will be a nightmare for defenses.

With Bulaga an upgrade at RT and Bakhtiari Year 2 an upgrage over Year 1, Lacy behind him, and receivers on both sides of him Rodgers is going to be unstoppable.

I love how Ted has prioritized on receivers that have good hands. I remember the threads here and all the frustration with the dropped passes. Jones dropped many, Jennings had his share, and Finley, OMG.
It's like Ted has said "I've got the best QB on the planet who gets the ball where it needs to be nearly every time. All I need are guys that can catch the damn thing."

Very smart. Defenses won't stop this offense so the only thing left is to be sure not to stop ourselves.

"The train is leaving the station."
hardrocker950
9 years ago

I don't think the Packers need a J. Finley today like they did in years past. Up until last year there was no run game so the burden was on Rodgers and all the receivers on the field to score.

Finley isn't the greatest blocker and has inconsistent hands. Yes, he posed problems for defenses but the team is more rounded now and as long as the TE can be an asset blocking and make the 3rd down catch to move the chains this offense will be a nightmare for defenses.

With Bulaga an upgrade at RT and Bakhtiari Year 2 an upgrage over Year 1, Lacy behind him, and receivers on both sides of him Rodgers is going to be unstoppable.

I love how Ted has prioritized on receivers that have good hands. I remember the threads here and all the frustration with the dropped passes. Jones dropped many, Jennings had his share, and Finley, OMG.
It's like Ted has said "I've got the best QB on the planet who gets the ball where it needs to be nearly every time. All I need are guys that can catch the damn thing."

Very smart. Defenses won't stop this offense so the only thing left is to be sure not to stop ourselves.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

I agree - I couldn't count the times I cringed when the ball was headed for Jones or Finley. Of the new receivers, one thing that stands out - they all have potentially good hands. Good to know Ted seems to be more concerned with the parts that needed the most attention than in past years. I am feeling good about this year - good crop of receivers looking for a roster spot.

As long as we get good blocking from the TE position and they can make a catch when asked - this will be interesting to watch.
play2win
9 years ago

Finley actually only had 6 catches as a rookie... when you look at Finley's stats over his career it does make you wonder what all the hullabaloo is all about with Jermichael. I think Mike McCarthy answered that in the quotes from the Lyerla piece. He basically just said that defenses play the Packers differently when he's on the field, so I guess he alters defenses making it easier for everyone else even when he's not doing anything. A valuable decoy who could drop a key pass now and again. Mike McCarthy also went on to say he had a huge catch radius something Lyerla doesn't have relative to Finley.

Will Rodgers (no pun) alter defenses like Finley. I doubt it. No speed. For me, I'll be more excited if he can catch the ball with regularity something Finley could not do. One thing to do it in an OTA and another to do it when some rabid LB is on you in regular season.

It is interesting to note the 2nd and 3rd round pass catching selections both had scouting reports that included rock solid hands. There has to be more to that than just the obvious. I wonder if they tired of watching Finley and Jones (in his earlier years) drop key easy passes?

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Talk of "no speed" regarding Richard Rodgers is laughable in comparing him to Jermichael Finley.

Finley's measured 40 time at the Combine: 4.82
Rodgers' measured 40 time at the Combine: 4.87

Richard Rodgers has far better hands, was touted as an exceptional cut blocker pre-draft, has nearly identical size to Finley, and is a proven route runner.

Have people forgotten Finley's desire to freelance on routes? How many times were he and Aaron Rodgers not on the same page? All the BS with special Saturday night meetings prior to game day...

I agree with you that the staff probably grew very tired of the high drop rates. DD was also on par with Finley for drops.

After seeing Richard Rodgers working on field even in OTAs setting, it is clear that he has the potential to be very, very good. He could easily blow away Finley as a threat to opposing defenses from my own perspective. He won't be a veiled threat either, as he will deliver by being in the right position in a route and finishing plays. Just wait till you see him turn the ball upfield after the catch. Trust me, you'll love it.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Richard Rodgers has far better hands, was touted as an exceptional cut blocker pre-draft, has nearly identical size to Finley, and is a proven route runner.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

This portion gently irked me. What makes you think you know how well his hands are going to be in the NFL? Because his college stats were better than Finley's NFL stats? We all get tired of the same old "scripted" answers from players, but when someone like Finley speaks his mind, every on field mistake he makes gets amplified to the point where we're going to disrespect his talent by saying a ROOKIE has better hands when said ROOKIE hasn't even stepped onto a NFL field against NFL competition?

I disagree with that premise.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (11h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (13h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (16h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (17h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.