Mucky Tundra
10 years ago

Misery loves company! Welcome, Wade. 😆

I don't think Ha Ha was unhappy to be a Packer, I think he was unhappy he went at 21 when he was expecting to go higher...or, maybe, he can't stand Eddie Lacy despite what he's said about him. 🤔

In any case, it's nice to have another 1st rounder in TitleTown to dissect and discuss. Most fans and especially the brass seems happy which is always nice. Some years, actually, many years, you don't come away with the sense the org is thrilled with their 1st rounder. Not this year. It reminds me of the Raji/Matthews picks... the staff was wound up that year. Let's hope they're right... as you don't usually see that kind of emotion out of that draft room.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Probably pissed that Pryor went higher than he did.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
warhawk
10 years ago
Well, if you don't invest in a position then you end up taking a flyer on a player hoping it turns out. With the run on Safeties last night the options remaining would have many more deficiencies than Dix.

I see a player that improves the backend day 1 with the ability to grow into a great Safety. Not sure what people around here want. With healthy LB's, Peppers, etc., I see the front seven putting more pressure in the pass rush. This with more talent on the back end should put us much closer to where we all want to see out of this defense.

Also, I did not see a pick after 21 that I really though would be any better.

So Ted gets jumped for covering a position of need but he waits till the 2nd or 3rd round and gets a far lesser player that would make you happy? It was past time last year for Ted to invest in the RB position and that turned out pretty darn good I would say. I look at this move in the same way.
"The train is leaving the station."
play2win
10 years ago
Well said warhawk!

Long overdue for this level of talent at Safety in GB. Finally! Glad to have him on board. Super happy about this pick.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
What if Clinton-Dix turns out to be another Hawk?

The more I read and the more I hear what people are saying about Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix, you could insert A.J. Hawk and the quotes would fit.

I'm convinced Clinton-Dix won't earn a starting position until halfway through the season at best. I'm not worried about his 4.6 speed because that's what nearly all safeties are. He misses a lot of tackles and he's not a solid hitter like Calvin Pryor.

I would have rather seen my 49ers trade happen to get the Packers more picks in 2 and 3.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago

The more I read and the more I hear what people are saying about Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix, you could insert A.J. Hawk and the quotes would fit.

I'm convinced Clinton-Dix won't earn a starting position until halfway through the season at best. I'm not worried about his 4.6 speed because that's what nearly all safeties are. He misses a lot of tackles and he's not a solid hitter like Calvin Pryor.

I would have rather seen my 49ers trade happen to get the Packers more picks in 2 and 3.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I think everyone would have liked to gauge the 49ers of all their 2nd and 3rd round picks but seeing is how they stood pat, they apparently were content to not trade up.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

There are worst things than to have two AJ Hawk players on the team. Show up every single game. Get the job done. Set the Packers record for total tackles. Not too bad of a career.

Most starters are not Hall of Fame players. Most starters including first round picks are not All Pro. HaHa will be a fine asset to the team. You can not do better than having an immediate upgrade at a weak position. You can not do better than taking the best player available at a position of need who is also one of the 3 or 4 BPA at that time.

You whined about Lacy last year and had to admit it. Start getting the "you were wrong about CD" post ready too.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

Why are you convinced he won't start till mid season?

Ha Ha will start Day 1 and he won't look back. He is starter ready. That's why he was projected so high. Learned in a Pro style system. One of the most pro ready players drafted IMO. I didn't think we stood a chance of landing him. I'm happy we did after hearing what Ted had to say about him.

SF clearly didn't want to part with their boatload of picks. At least, they couldn't find a deal to make it worth their while.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
Yes, but what if one doesn't believe HaHa is the safety equivalent of Hawk. I explicitly said I don't consider the quality the same.

IMO, if there is a comparison quality-wise, HaHa offers less than Hawk, but a bit more than George Teague.

IMO, if you are going to draft a safety in the first, you need to think he will be at least as good as Nick Collins (who wasn't drafted in the first, by the way).

And, by the way, Collins was not the Collins we're trying to replace in year one OR year two. He took a lot of bad angles, had a number of "communication issues". Because of his speed, he was able to recover from some of them.

Dix does not have that speed.

Dix will improve the defense at safety right out of the box, no question. So would about ten of the safeties in this draft.

If you buy a new $30,000 hybrid car, you're going to improve on the gas-guzzling clunker in your garage.

But if you spend $80,000 to buy that car, you're going to regret the other things you could have done with the extra $50,000.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
play2win
10 years ago

Yes, but what if one doesn't believe HaHa is the safety equivalent of Hawk. I explicitly said I don't consider the quality the same.

IMO, if there is a comparison quality-wise, HaHa offers less than Hawk, but a bit more than George Teague.

IMO, if you are going to draft a safety in the first, you need to think he will be at least as good as Nick Collins (who wasn't drafted in the first, by the way).

And, by the way, Collins was not the Collins we're trying to replace in year one OR year two. He took a lot of bad angles, had a number of "communication issues". Because of his speed, he was able to recover from some of them.

Dix does not have that speed.

Dix will improve the defense at safety right out of the box, no question. So would about ten of the safeties in this draft.

If you buy a new $30,000 hybrid car, you're going to improve on the gas-guzzling clunker in your garage.

But if you spend $80,000 to buy that car, you're going to regret the other things you could have done with the extra $50,000.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Hey, I was the one stating very clearly that I wanted speed a priority, and that I felt Bucannon, Brooks and Dixon were my top choices at S over CD and Pryor.

Ted stated "that's not what we had on our watch" when discussing his 40 times. Ted clearly feels differently, as does their talent eval staff. He convinced me with his view on CD's overall game and his being a complete player at S. Good enough for me.
steveishere
10 years ago
So the only time you should take a S in round 1 is if he's a possible Hall of Fame calibre player? We've got a bit of a problem around here it seems with fans lacking respect for just how good Collins was. No as a prospect he wasn't that highly rated but as an actual player he was. Stop using him as the bar for how good our S need to be. There are probably not more than a couple players left in this entire draft who are going to end up being as good at their positions as Collins was at his.

The only thing that kept Collins from being considered the best S in the league was 2 all-time great S playing at the same time.