yooperfan
11 years ago

This whole situation is a clear illustration of the difference between Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson.

Wolf drafted QBs as backups, then Holmgren developed them, then they became valuable assets in trade. Hasselbeck, Brunnell, Dilfer, there was another I am spacing who went to NO.

Thompson drafts QBs as backups, then McCarthy tries to develop them and they become worthless in the marketplace. Is the disconnect Ted making poor choices, or is McCarthy failing to develop these players?

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I am of the opinion that MM's developmental "system" is highly over rated and that he simply lucked out in getting Rodgers.
The evidence is becoming more clear as the years go by.

Yerko
11 years ago
I think we should all take step back and blame Detroit for this. Detroit is the reason the NFL reached on Matt Flynn and made him a multi-million dollar QB who doesn't even start.

Detroit sucks.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago

This whole situation is a clear illustration of the difference between Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson.

Wolf drafted QBs as backups, then Holmgren developed them, then they became valuable assets in trade. Hasselbeck, Brunnell, Dilfer, there was another I am spacing who went to NO.

Thompson drafts QBs as backups, then McCarthy tries to develop them and they become worthless in the marketplace. Is the disconnect Ted making poor choices, or is McCarthy failing to develop these players?

Ty Detmer,
Doug Pederson,
Aaron Brooks

and we can't forget the most "Infamous" T.J. RUBLEY!!!!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
play2win
11 years ago

I think we should all take step back and blame Detroit for this. Detroit is the reason the NFL reached on Matt Flynn and made him a multi-million dollar QB who doesn't even start.

Detroit sucks.

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

Awesome! Well done Yerko.
play2win
11 years ago
The odds of drafting a true, significant starting QB who realizes any success in the NFL are quite slim. Ron Wolf was exceptional at this, and knowing he took a QB every year as a rule in the draft, he still only managed to hit around 50%. For whatever reason, Ted has flamed out with backup QBs via the draft.
GermanGilbert
11 years ago

For whatever reason, Ted has flamed out with backup QBs via the draft.

As long as uncle Ted hits the jackpot every 10 to 12 years, I couldn't care less with him failing in finding backup QBs.

blank
steveishere
11 years ago

The odds of drafting a true, significant starting QB who realizes any success in the NFL are quite slim. Ron Wolf was exceptional at this, and knowing he took a QB every year as a rule in the draft, he still only managed to hit around 50%. For whatever reason, Ted has flamed out with backup QBs via the draft.

Wolf did have some luck with back ups but he didn't draft one every year. Wolf drafted 6 back ups and traded for 1 in 9 years. which is only slightly more than Teds 5 QBs (though he also kept an undrafted player as a back up for a year).
macbob
11 years ago

The way the offense is run with Aaron is pretty wide open. I wouldn't expect a journeyman like Wallace to be able to run it that way. They'd have to go back to fundamentals to increase his odds of success.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

That's what we had to do with Flynn in, too. The gameplan was significantly different than when Aaron Rodgers was QB. The Patriots game was back toward a Bill Walsh 49ers-style WCO.
macbob
11 years ago

Fair enough, the Brees comment was intended to illicit the exact response it got. I apologize for that.

The bottom line is that in my opinion there are perhaps 25 QBs in the NFL that I would be OK with as my starter. Maybe not happy with mind you but OK with (that allows for improvement a la Tannehill for example). That means that a team that has a starter caliber backup has a huge advantage. They just aren't out there. There are two ways to get that great backup. The obvious way is to sign a proven veteran who has fallen on hard times. The Packers tried that with Young and are trying it again with Wallace (although the proven part is open for debate) The other way is to try to develop a young guy. We tried that with Harrell and Coleman and that didn't work out either.

Regardless. You can't say Ted Thompson has not been trying. I would love for Ted Thompson to pull off a trade for Flynn. Pryor is the man in Oakland now and probably should be and they have the rookie Mcwhatever to fall back on but something tells me the Raiders are not all that anxious to give up Flynn in a trade. He is the most proven QB they have.

Other posts and other threads have said it and I agree, if Rodgers is lost for the season the Packers probably are as well. Unfortunately I don't see any options available that would change that so IMO you go with someone who can step in and manage a game or two. If your team can't rally around that and pull off a win or two then yes your team is your QB, but I think the Packers are better than that. I don't think the Packer only chance at winning a game is Aaron Rodgers.

Macbob, I've stayed up late do draft a FF team and I've had a few beers. Not all of my comments are necessarily directed at you. we seem to agree more than we disagree and this post is simply a clarification of my position. It is not meant as an attack on your position.

I'm going to bed now.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I think Wallace was the best option, my earlier snarky remarks aside. I also thought Ted did a nice job getting him (especially with SF coming up in week 1). Keeping Coleman on the roster disguised that we were actively looking for a QB (who knows, maybe somebody would try to sneak a QB onto the practice squad that we wanted) and likely helped in negotiating with Seneca.

My main gripe is that Seneca missed his best opportunity to succeed in MM's system, and will have very little opportunity during the season to get reps in the offense, as most of the time will be spent prepping Aaron Rodgers for the games.

I really like Ted as a GM, but I'm not giving him a pass on this, whether it's fair or not. Just like first week of the season was not the ideal time to bring in a new punter (Frost)--a situation which I consider a major fail--first week of the season is not the ideal time to cut all of your backup QBs and bring in someone who hasn't been through your system--also a major fail.
steveishere
11 years ago
At least our back up QB now was still drafted by our GM. 🤔
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : I know it's probably to mess with the Colts but I'm just huffing copium honestly
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : So you're saying there's *a chance*?
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Packers officially listed QB Jordan Love (knee) as questionable for Sunday's game vs. the \Colts.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Confirmed concussion for Tua
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Yikes, possibly another concussion for Tua
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

16-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.