PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago
Normally, as the season goes on and game to game. Bad calls by officials even out. If that ever happens this year, the other teams are in for a world of hurt.

Two text book plays today. The Perry call, I can understand the official making a bad call at the speed of the game. I can say, when it happened. I thought it was a hit to the head. Replay shows it wasn't and was instead a textbook hit of the QB in the pocket. Put your head on the ball and wrap up. Video should be used to show youth how to hit.

The PI on Shields had no excuse. Shields out ran the WR to position. Somebody needs to inform the officials that DBs have just as much right to position and the ball as the offense. Even the calls on Woodson, yeah sure he had his hands on the WR. But it would be nice for announcers ONCE to notice that the WR/TEs have their hands on the DBs just as much. I am getting sick of watching WR instigate contact, and play for penalties. I can't count how many times through the years, where I have even seen WR who can't catch the ball, stick their arm back into the DB to make it look like they are being held. while the replacements wer not great refs. They let DBs play defense again. The Real refs could learn some from the replacements. Watching football being turned in to basketball is getting old.

3 loses and 3 games with momentum and game changing calls made. What goes around comes around. And it should be coming back around soon.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
nerdmann
11 years ago
I've been seeing uncalled facemasks on Arodge too.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
macbob
11 years ago

umm benson ran for 20 yards on 7 carries,a whopping 2.9 avg. wouldnt consider that a run game at all that helped...

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

Benson went out during the first drive of the 2nd qtr. To that point in the game Mike McCarthy had called 10 passing plays and 8 runs (one being Kuhn's 2 yd TD carry). The mix of run plays was keeping the Colts D from being able to focus solely on the pass.

2nd half we ran it a total of 6 attempts, 3 of those on the same possession. And that's with a lead. The
majority of our formations were shotguns in the second half. Very few from a running formation, which takes our play-action passes out of the equation, too.

If Mike McCarthy didn't trust Green to pick up the load, Kuhn could have run it for some positive yards and ate up some of the clock. He's not going to break one for 40 yds, but he's not going to lose a lot of yardage, either.

UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
11 years ago

Benson went out during the first drive of the 2nd qtr. To that point in the game Mike McCarthy had called 10 passing plays and 8 runs (one being Kuhn's 2 yd TD carry). The mix of run plays was keeping the Colts D from being able to focus solely on the pass.

2nd half we ran it a total of 6 attempts, 3 of those on the same possession. And that's with a lead. The
majority of our formations were shotguns in the second half. Very few from a running formation, which takes our play-action passes out of the equation, too.

If Mike McCarthy didn't trust Green to pick up the load, Kuhn could have run it for some positive yards and ate up some of the clock. He's not going to break one for 40 yds, but he's not going to lose a lot of yardage, either.

Originally Posted by: macbob 

This is so crucial. We need to change things up to keep defenses honest. It doesn't just happen. I feel like McCarthy knows that but doesn't have someone like Joe anymore to bounce things off of anymore. Perhaps keep him in check. Joe is doing more with less right now in Miami.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Pack93z
11 years ago

Two text book plays today. The Perry call, I can understand the official making a bad call at the speed of the game. I can say, when it happened. I thought it was a hit to the head. Replay shows it wasn't and was instead a textbook hit of the QB in the pocket. Put your head on the ball and wrap up. Video should be used to show youth how to hit.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I will agree with the Shields penalty, that was a BS call. If anything it was offensive.

But Perry's call was correct.

NFL Rules.

A tackler using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent.
Any player who uses the top of his helmet unnecessarily.

"NFL Rules" wrote:

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/penaltysummaries 

He led with his head, and no that is not what to teach the youth IMO. Head to the side, eyes up and drive through the player.

Perry had a clean look and he had time to lay a proper hit on the QB, instead he dropped his head and lead with the head to the center of Luck's chest. Was it particularly nasty, no, but it is within the letter of the rule book.

The ironic part, in lower ball the rule is intended to protect the tackler more so than the target.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago

I will agree with the Shields penalty, that was a BS call. If anything it was offensive.

But Perry's call was correct.

NFL Rules.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/penaltysummaries 

He led with his head, and no that is not what to teach the youth IMO. Head to the side, eyes up and drive through the player.

Perry had a clean look and he had time to lay a proper hit on the QB, instead he dropped his head and lead with the head to the center of Luck's chest. Was it particularly nasty, no, but it is within the letter of the rule book.

The ironic part, in lower ball the rule is intended to protect the tackler more so than the target.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

It was a proper hit. He did not lead with the top of his helmet. Yes first contact was with his helmet, on the arm/ball. It was not with the crown or top of the helmet, it was the front just above the facemask, it was not a spear or a butt.

Good tackle, bad call.
Pack93z
11 years ago
I hate it, but it is going to be called 80 to 90 percent of the time in the NFL. I think the NFL is overprotective of the QB, but it is what it is. And it is called rather consistently.  LeadingwithHelmet.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago

I hate it, but it is going to be called 80 to 90 percent of the time in the NFL. I think the NFL is overprotective of the QB, but it is what it is. And it is called rather consistently.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

that is all that I said in the beginning. That I understand why it was called and don't blame the refs for making the bad call, just that it is still a bad call.

Much like Matthews last year or was it two years ago can't remember on who. Much like Walden on Wilson.
Pack93z
11 years ago

that is all that I said in the beginning. That I understand why it was called and don't blame the refs for making the bad call, just that it is still a bad call.

Much like Matthews last year or was it two years ago can't remember on who. Much like Walden on Wilson.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I read it as it was missed by the officials in your first post, but that I blame on the NFL as a whole.

Anything more we can disagree about this morning. [grin1]
nerdmann
11 years ago
The crown is the top of the helmet, not the front of the helmet.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.