evad04
14 years ago
Bellicheck and the Patriots were the first to use the 1-5-5 sets, if I'm not mistaken. If you have versatile enough LBs (in the sense of being able to pass rush, shed blocks, pass cover, and tackle adequately) then this can be a fun little nickel defense. Those five LBs could go anywhere after the snap. Put it this way: it was invented to stop Peyton Manning.

That said, I don't know if we'll run it. We did run a 2-4-5 last season a few times (again, unless I'm mistaken).
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
beast
14 years ago

Bellicheck and the Patriots were the first to use the 1-5-5 sets, if I'm not mistaken. If you have versatile enough LBs (in the sense of being able to pass rush, shed blocks, pass cover, and tackle adequately) then this can be a fun little nickel defense. Those five LBs could go anywhere after the snap. Put it this way: it was invented to stop Peyton Manning.

"evad04" wrote:

I want to get as many LBers on the field as smartly possible. They seem to be pretty deep. I mean

Kampman, Poppinga and Bishop are all very good against the run.
Barnett, Chillar and Matthews are all very good against the pass.
Hawk and Thompson are very well rounded.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
13 years ago
When I found this thread, I couldn't help but read through it again. It might be posted a year ago, but it's still quite a thread. Let's see how these formations look now to the new members we got and the new guys we got on defense.

It's so basic and deep at the same time.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Offensive linemen are permitted to interlock legs.

Interesting. I don't know if I've ever seen such a formation before. Seems kind of risky for the linemen's knees if you ask me.
UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago
I wonder how a Dime set with the ILB being replaced with SS would do...
the coverage should be better... if they could stop the run just as well maybe they could do it?

Collins                                            Blackmon

Matthews         Burnett    BigBy         Jones
    Williams                                                                                    Woodson
                                             Jenkins    Raji    Pickett 

UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago

I wonder how a Dime set with the ILB being replaced with SS would do...
the coverage should be better... if they could stop the run just as well maybe they could do it?

Collins                                            Blackmon

Matthews         Burnett    BigBy         Jones
    Williams                                                                                    Woodson
                                             Jenkins    Raji    Pickett 

"beast" wrote:

Both ILB being safetys? Hell no. Over half our players would be DB's. If they ran it, we'd be so prone to giving up the big play. RB's would probably break at least one tackle on every play against this formation lol. I wouldn't mind maybe seeing the same thing but with Burnett swapping the U for an A and Nick stepping in there. Creeping an extra safety into the box could offer a speedier blitzer or an ability to adjust and help out the passing game.
Porforis
13 years ago
Honestly, I see no point in even semi-regularly running any formation without a safety or with less than two linemen plus at least 3 linebackers.

Without a safety, you're just asking to give up that big play.

As for < 5 linemen/backers, way too easy for the O line to shove people around and for there to be a quick audible to a run for 4-6 yards. Also, you need some big bodies to tie up the O linemen in order for your swift, athletic types to get to the QB. And even in an extreme prevent to win situation, why wouldn't you rush at LEAST 4?
Smokey
7 years ago
This thread needs an update . Who is this forum's resident Professor/Coach/Guru ?

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Smokey
6 years ago

This thread needs an update . Who is this forum's resident Professor/Coach/Guru ?

[cheers]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Oh Beast , this thread needs to hear from you Mr. Know-it all . Dazzle us with the advantages of the 4-2 Defense !

bjm 12121.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

Oh Beast , this thread needs to hear from you Mr. Know-it all . Dazzle us with the advantages of the 4-2 Defense !

So you're admitting that I'm your Guru? 😱

My point is simply that all the NFL teams are getting away from BOTH the 3-4 and the 4-3, and they're all playing some form of 4-2 nickel defense about 50% of the time.

The advantages are pretty clear...
  • Another DB on the field for better coverage as offenses have gone to a lot more 3 WR sets and/or athletic TEs that are more like WRs than the traditional TEs
  • To go along with maximizing the number of pass rushers on the field, as their is two edge rushers and a 3 tech pass rushing DT.
  • Speed... as the extra DB is faster than who they're replacing and those pass rushers are normally faster than the run defenders

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (11h) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.