beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
6 months ago
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/multiple-sideline-reporters-react-to-charissa-thompsons-admission-of-faked-sideline-reports 

Multiple sideline reporters react to Charissa Thompson’s admission of faked sideline reports

Multiple sideline reporters have reacted to the admission from former sideline reporter, and current Fox Sports and Amazon Prime host, Charissa Thompson that she would, at times, make up content for her in-game reports.

Said Thompson on the Pardon My Take podcast, via Brandon Contes of AwfulAnnouncing.com: “I’ve said this before. I haven’t been fired [for] saying it, but I’ll say it again. I would make up the report sometimes, because A, the coach wouldn’t come out at halftime, or it was too late and I didn’t want to screw up the report. So I was like, ‘I’m just gonna make this up.’ . . . Because first of all, no coach is gonna get mad if I say, ‘Hey, we need to stop hurting ourselves, we need to be better on third down, we need to stop turning the ball over and do a better job of getting off the field.’ They’re not gonna correct me on that. So I’m like, it’s fine, I’ll just make up the report.”

Others who currently do the job think it is not fine. As of this posting, at least four prominent sideline reporters have weighed in on Twitter/X.

Said ESPN’s Molly McGrath: “This is not normal or ethical. Coaches and players trust us with sensitive information, and if they know that you’re dishonest and don’t take your role seriously, you’ve lost all trust and credibility.”

Added Tracy Wolfson of CBS: “This is absolutely not ok, not the norm and upsetting on so many levels. I take my job very seriously, I hold myself accountable for all I say, I build trust with coaches and never make something up. I know my fellow reporters do the same.”

NBC’s Kathryn Tappen called it “deplorable.”

“I hold myself to the highest standard in everything I do,” Tappen said on Twitter/X. “I KNOW my hard working colleagues do the same. We earn respect the hard way. To those commenting on the irrelevant role of sideline reporters — beat it! WE ARE JOURNALISTS. THESE actions are not normal.”

Finally, and perhaps most significantly, Thompson’s colleague at Fox Sports, Laura Okmin, spoke out against the admission.

“THE privilege of a sideline role is being the 1 person in the entire world who has the opportunity to ask coaches what’s happening in that moment,” Okmin posted. “I can’t express the amount of time it takes to build that trust. Devastated w/the texts I’m getting asking if this is ok. No. Never.”

Okmin then shared some advice for young reporters.

“There’s coaches who don’t give anything — even apologize early in [the week] for it,” she said. “You gather info in those conversations & take [with] you - ‘he was looking for this, hoped he didn’t see that.’ My point being YOU PREPARE for these instances.”

In a telephone conversation with PFT, Okmin explained that sideline reporters have grown accustomed to periodic challenges to their relevance and value. She said that, in this case, the disappointment was enhanced by the fact that it “came from within.” In her efforts to mentor young reporters, she’s concerned that this example will cause them to believe that this is an appropriate way to make it in the business.

Okmin said that she has not yet spoken to Thompson about the situation, but that she expects to at some point.

Fox referred PFT to Amazon for comment on the situation. After a specific question was asked about a Fox colleague criticizing Thompson publicly, Fox declined comment.

Amazon declined comment.

Earlier in the day, however, sports business reporter Daniel Kaplan posted that he asked Amazon if it would be addressing the situation on tonight’s pregame show for Bengals-Ravens on Amazon Prime. “She was telling a story from 15 years ago,” Amazon told Kaplan.

Kaplan later deleted the post, without comment.

It remains to be seen whether Thompson addresses the situation tonight on Amazon, or elsewhere.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 months ago
Always felt those reports were useless anyway. Only time it is has value is of they show the video so we can see the demeanor and hear tone of coaches.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
6 months ago
What!
Someone made false comments on TV?
That's it, I'm going back to "social media" for the truth!😄😄😄
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
umair_010
6 months ago
Most of the time they pretty much say the same thing after halftime anyway. I never paid much attention to it.
Zero2Cool
6 months ago

What!
Someone made false comments on TV?
That's it, I'm going back to "social media" for the truth!😄😄😄

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

It's not as simple as that. When a REPORTER is relaying to is fans what a coach said. There's an expectation of accuracy. The job Title is reporter, not entertainer. That's the distinction that's causing issues.

But as I said. The "reports" are frivolous unless we hear the coach themselves. And even then it's usually a waste.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
6 months ago

Hmmm is she changing her story? 🤔 Or did people misinterpreted what she said?

“Ok, let’s address the elephant in the room. I have a responsibility to myself and my employers to clarify what is being reported. When on a podcast this week, I said I would make up reports early if my career when I worked as a sideline reporter before I transitioned to my current host role.

“Working in media I understand how important words are and I chose the wrong words to describe the situation. I’m sorry. I have never lied about anything or been unethical during my time as a sports broadcaster.

“In the absence of a coach providing any information that could further my report I would use information that I learned and saw during the first half to create my report. For example if a team was 0 for 7 on 3rd down, that would clearly be an area they need to improve on in the second half. In these instances I never attributed anything I said to a player or coach.

“I have nothing but respect for sideline reporters and for the tireless work they put in behind the scenes and on the field. I am only appreciative and humbled to work alongside some of the best in the business and call them some of my best friends.”

Here are her comments from Pardon My Take, via AwfulAnnouncing.com: “I’ve said this before. I haven’t been fired [for] saying it, but I’ll say it again. I would make up the report sometimes, because A, the coach wouldn’t come out at halftime, or it was too late and I didn’t want to screw up the report. So I was like, ‘I’m just gonna make this up.’ . . . Because first of all, no coach is gonna get mad if I say, ‘Hey, we need to stop hurting ourselves, we need to be better on third down, we need to stop turning the ball over and do a better job of getting off the field.’ They’re not gonna correct me on that. So I’m like, it’s fine, I’ll just make up the report.”

Multiple sideline reporters reacted strongly to the admission after it surfaced on Thursday.

Some will question whether “the wrong words” were chosen when the initial comments were prefaced with an acknowledgement that “I’ve said this before” and “I haven’t been fired for saying it.”

Regardless, that’s her statement. Fox Sports and Amazon have declined comment to multiple outlets, including PFT.

Yes, if you have never lied or bene unethical, why would you preface it with, "I haven't been fired for" this?

Feels like she told the truth the first time, and now is making stuff up again, as she hopes someone is not going to correct her again on this...
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
6 months ago

It's not as simple as that. When a REPORTER is relaying to is fans what a coach said. There's an expectation of accuracy. The job Title is reporter, not entertainer. That's the distinction that's causing issues.

But as I said. The "reports" are frivolous unless we hear the coach themselves. And even then it's usually a waste.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Exactly, being entertaining is not a problem (that actually might be an improvement), it's the potential lying part of it that might be a problem.

But Sports shows could probably improve, instead of bothering the coach, just invite a former retired player for that team to talk at halftime to the interview person.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (17h) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.