wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
17 days ago

The first big-name cut on deadline day has been reported.

The Green Bay Packers  are going to have a new place-kicker in 2024. According to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network, the Packers have made the decision to release second-year kicker Anders Carlson a few hours ahead of the NFL’s deadline to trim rosters down from 90 to 53 players.

Carlson’s release is at once shocking and entirely unsurprising. After the team drafted him in the 6th round in 2023, he had a less-than-stellar rookie season, going 27-for-33 on field goals (81.8%) and 34-for-39 on PATs (87.2%). He also missed some important kicks in critical moments, including a 41-yard attempt in the NFC Divisional Playoffs that would have given the Packers a 7-point lead over the San Francisco 49ers .

This offseason, the Packers brought in multiple kickers to push Carlson for the job, most notably veteran Greg Joseph. Both Carlson and Joseph struggled in training camp, with neither one taking a firm hold of the job. Carlson’s release does not necessarily mean that Joseph is going to be the kicker in week one, however, as the Packers could look to the waiver wire or the trade market to find a permanent solution.

All eyes now shift to Joseph, who remains on the roster for the time being along with rookie Alex Hale. Hale is the Packers’ designated International Pathway player, however, and is therefore eligible for an exempt spot on the team’s practice squad. As a result, he is likely to be waived and should land on the practice squad sometime tomorrow.

Keep it tuned to Acme Packing Company for ongoing coverage of the Packers’ roster cuts, which must be finalized by 3:00 PM Central Time.

Continue Reading @ Evan "Tex" Western 

Evan "Tex" Western wrote:

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
17 days ago
Dave you nailed it.
Martha did you call this as well? I don't remember.

I didn't think Joseph did enough to merit the job. Hale

Here's a hot take-
What if the Packers cut Carlson, like they did the LS last year, and plan to bring him back after the dust settles? It's not as if they have a game THIS weekend so they have time. They can check the waiver wire and see who else is available. Should they plan to cut Joseph too they still have Hale in the bag.
UserPostedImage
17 days ago

Martha did you call this as well? I don't remember.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I did not, but I am not surprised....finally some accountability.

Go Packers!!!!
macbob
17 days ago
I'd be happier with this if Joseph was an upgrade. But he's a career 82.6% FG kicker in a dome stadium. His percentage is likelier to go down, not up, kicking at Lambeau Field. And he wasn't a lock on extra points (90%). Carlson was 81.8% on FG and 87% on extra points.
macbob
16 days ago
OK. NOW I'm happier...his college kicking percentage was better, he has a strong leg, and he had a good preseason (including hitting a game tying and then game winning kick vs Seattle)...

He could have hit that 59 yarder from another 8-10 yards back...

[url=]https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2024/08/28/packers-claim-rookie-kicker-brayden-narveson-off-waivers-from-titans/[/url]

Packers claim rookie kicker Brayden Narveson off waivers from Titans

Zach Kruse
follow
August 28, 2024 11:55 am CT

The Green Bay Packers found their new kicker to start the 2024 season: Rookie Brayden Narveson. The team claimed Narveson off waivers from the Tennessee Titans on Wednesday.

Greg Joseph is expected to be released in a corresponding roster move.

Narveson went undrafted out of NC State this year. During the preseason, Narveson made 6-of-7 field goals — with his only miss coming from 58 yards — and both extra point attempts. Among his six field goals was a go-ahead 59-yarder and game-winning 46-yarder in the fourth quarter vs. the Seattle Seahawks.

The Packers cut Anders Carlson and kept Joseph on the initial 53-man roster on Tuesday. Narveson will take Joseph’s roster spot.

Neither Carlson nor Joseph did enough to win the job during an uninspiring kicking competition at Packers training camp.

Narveson made a 57-yard field goal during his final season at NC State. He connected on 18 of 23 field goals and all 38 extra point attempts in 2023. Over five seasons at a collegiate career, Narveson made all 196 extra point attempts and 71 of 91 field goals.

Here’s Narveson’s 59-yarder vs. the Seahawks:

[TWITTER]https://t.co/3TVRXSsE9Z[/TWITTER]

Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (9h) : I know it's probably to mess with the Colts but I'm just huffing copium honestly
Mucky Tundra (9h) : So you're saying there's *a chance*?
Zero2Cool (9h) : Packers officially listed QB Jordan Love (knee) as questionable for Sunday's game vs. the \Colts.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : Confirmed concussion for Tua
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Yikes, possibly another concussion for Tua
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Who did you try dumping Cooks off onto?
dhazer (13-Sep) : glad my other trade was rejected Cook has 28 at halftime lol
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : Muwahahahah
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : I'll ride Jordan Love > Brock Purdy all day!
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : Packers TE that you all say is being phased out lol
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : Upper tier QB???
dhazer (12-Sep) : backup RB
dhazer (12-Sep) : and he rejects it because I rejected his trade of the 49ers backup B for Mcaffery lol
dhazer (12-Sep) : I try helping out Kevin and trading him an upper teir QB so he has a starter and even gave him a Packer TE for a backup TE Purdy for Love
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : MLF says “Love’s injury is more day to day than anything”
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : Like that Eli was "known" not to study or something
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : AH, ok. i got that one quick, but thought maybe there's something more
Mucky Tundra (11-Sep) : Zero, regarding Eli scouting Rodgers, that's the joke. Rodgers only played 4 snaps so it would take Eli 5 minutes to scout him
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : Jordan Love not seen at practice today.
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : De’Von Achane practiced today in what appeared to be a lighter walkthrough session.
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : Colts put promising CB on IR ...
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : It's a long, long record!! lol
dfosterf (11-Sep) : This trade offer and rejection is going on your PERMANENT RECORD young man, lol
dfosterf (11-Sep) : It wouldn't be a release, he'd be going to a good home, lol
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : lol i dropped one already, then I'd have to give up someone i don't want to release
dfosterf (11-Sep) : Go tell your dad you have been afforded the opportunity to aquire him without dropping two, lol
dfosterf (11-Sep) : My drop of Mattison might be a good pickup for someone
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : Wright is good pickup. Was telling my dad I wanted to get him but needed to cut 2 lol
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : What am I missing? There was only handful of snaps.
Mucky Tundra (11-Sep) : beast, neither did I
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : Lions hosted Anders Carlson and Greg Joseph (signed) for visits
beast (10-Sep) : Lol, I didn't get it at first lol
Mucky Tundra (10-Sep) : In preparation for last nights Manning cast, Eli went back watched all of Rodgers snaps from last season
Zero2Cool (10-Sep) : Suppose we don't need the Week One announcement banner thing anymore.
Zero2Cool (10-Sep) : Oh, it's fixed now.
Zero2Cool (10-Sep) : lol and I'm 0-2 after week 1
Mucky Tundra (10-Sep) : It was a close one though
Zero2Cool (10-Sep) : Gonna drop first game of season. And my QB is out for X weeks.
Mucky Tundra (10-Sep) : Looks like you're doing fine to me
Mucky Tundra (10-Sep) : Zero, why did you say your fantasy team is doodoo?
Zero2Cool (9-Sep) : McCaffery is OUT. Interesting
Zero2Cool (9-Sep) : Commanders cut Cade York. Wasn't he the guy some of you wanted in GB?
Zero2Cool (9-Sep) : my fantasy team is doodoo
Mucky Tundra (9-Sep) : Rams-Lions with an anticlimactic OT but smart football on the Lions part
Mucky Tundra (8-Sep) : oh i misread the cap hit, it's even more than that lol
Mucky Tundra (8-Sep) : *$145 million cap hit
Mucky Tundra (8-Sep) : you have to wonder at some point if the Browns bite the bullet, cut Watson and eat the $145 million dollar bullet
Martha Careful (8-Sep) : please note the qualification "by the end of the day"
Mucky Tundra (8-Sep) : They did actually! Didn't catch the score, get back to me in 10 hours ;)
Zero2Cool (8-Sep) : Lions already played and won?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

7-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

6-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6-Sep / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.