wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
21 days ago

On Wednesday afternoon, the Packers announced the release of Nigerian-born Kenneth Odumegwu, who was a part of the International Pathway Program.

The move allowed the team to designate kicker Alex Hale, who is from Australia, as their IPP player, a designation that comes with a roster exemption. The move allows the Packers to retain a young kicker on their roster without having him count against either the 53 man regular season roster or the 16 player practice squad, if he ends up being released and makes it through waivers.

A more cynical read of the move is that the team is acknowledging that they are not yet realizing the return on the investment they made by using a draft pick when selecting kicker Anders Carlson in the sixth round of the 2023 draft.

Odumegwu was allocated to the Green Bay Packers through the IPPP last May and played in his game of organized professional football last August in the preseason game against the Bengals, after which he was given a gameball by head coach Matt LaFleur. 

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

Wow is this a shrewd move. Gute is at it again. There is no way Odumegwu would contribute in the next 2-3 seasons.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
21 days ago
Good indicator that they are unlikely to be pleased with the Kicker position.
UserPostedImage
beast
21 days ago

Good indicator that they are unlikely to be pleased with the Kicker position.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

True, but also having a #2 Kicker in a free spot might be more important than having a #9 DE.

Wow is this a shrewd move. Gute is at it again. There is no way Odumegwu would contribute in the next 2-3 seasons.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yeah, where, at least in theory, this new kicker might have a chance to compete next year, and might be able to help out this year should there be a Kicker injury for a game or something.

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
20 days ago
Hopefully another team will sign him. For never playing football, he made huge strides in 15 months.
the only downsiide I see is, if Hale would be needed, he would have to be signed to the 53 man roster, which means he loses his exempt designation.
Hopefully this isn't a big deal.
Am I the only one who thinks The Packers 2024 kicker isn't currently on the roster?
{Kade York anyone?)
The Packers could cut both kickers, have that extra spot available for a 24 hour period, then sign their kicker.
Didn't The Packers do that with either a Punter or Long Snapper a couple of years ago? They had no LS after final cut down day was over, then made a move and picked one up after everyone cleared waivers.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
20 days ago

Hopefully another team will sign him. For never playing football, he made huge strides in 15 months.
the only downsiide I see is, if Hale would be needed, he would have to be signed to the 53 man roster, which means he loses his exempt designation.
Am I the only one who thinks The Packers 2024 kicker isn't currently on the roster?
{Kade York anyone?)
The Packers could cut both kickers, have that extra spot available for a 24 hour period, then sign their kicker.
Didn't The Packers do that with either a Punter or Long Snapper a couple of years ago? They had no LS after final cut down day was over, then made a move and picked one up after everyone cleared waivers.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Cade York didn't kick anywhere in 2023. And in 2022 he was 75%, which is much worse than Carlson was in 2023.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
20 days ago

Cade York didn't kick anywhere in 2023. And in 2022 he was 75%, which is much worse than Carlson was in 2023.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

He is kicking with The Browns, he hit the 55yd FG against The Packers week 1.
He was cut by The Browns after his rookie year, he started out well, but had problems later in the year.
The Browns ST coach did say York was kicking better this year than any tie before. He will be available, since The Browns have their starting kicker already.
That was the first player that came to mind, there are others out there.
I have no problem with Carleson, but it just seems The Packers are still not sold on him.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
20 days ago

{Kade York anyone?)

No. It is going to be Carlson. He is not as bad as fans make him out to be. As of now he is winning the kicking battle against the other two. Carlson kicked better his rookie season that the Packers best kicker Mason Crosby did in his rookie year. His biggest issues were the exchange from LS to holder to his kick. Several times he missed kicks because of trying to play the wind and over correcting. Everyone likes to point to his miss in SF. That is not what lost the game. There were many factors including missing a 41 yard FG attempt.

The rules have changed since then. They needed to keep someone on the first 53 cut down in order to move him to the IR with designated to return rights. This year they don't have to do that extra step. They can place an injured player on IR and designated him to return before setting up the first 53.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
20 days ago

He is kicking with The Browns, he hit the 55yd FG against The Packers week 1.
He was cut by The Browns after his rookie year, he started out well, but had problems later in the year.
The Browns ST coach did say York was kicking better this year than any tie before. He will be available, since The Browns have their starting kicker already.
That was the first player that came to mind, there are others out there.
I have no problem with Carleson, but it just seems The Packers are still not sold on him.

I'm not really sold on Carlson. He did better than Crosby in rookie season. He did better in 2023 than York did his last season in 2022. The guy York got booted off Commanders was like 88% last season. Maybe Riley Patterson is someone they look at?
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
20 days ago
He is not good Wayne. He may get better, but so far we are not seeing it. Our head coach basically said he creates heart problems for him every time he goes out there. They brought in little competition with the veteran Viking dude, him posting pretty much the same level of consistentcy ovet 5 years as our rookie over one. I blame MLF
He defers too much to his assistants, especially our ST/assistant head coach..Rich has not proven anything as a member of the GBP trust. Not impressed with our o line mgmt either, but that is a different complaint.

In Rich I have no trust anymore
Zero2Cool
20 days ago

He is not good Wayne. He may get better, but so far we are not seeing it. Our head coach basically said he creates heart problems for him every time he goes out there. They brought in little competition with the veteran Viking dude, him posting pretty much the same level of consistentcy ovet 5 years as our rookie over one. I blame MLF
He defers too much to his assistants, especially our ST/assistant head coach..Rich has not proven anything as a member of the GBP trust. Not impressed with our o line mgmt either, but that is a different complaint.

In Rich I have no trust anymore

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Anders Carlson was not good in 2023, yet, he somehow was better than Mason Crosby rookie season. Or maybe I should say less bad, lol. Aside from that, I am not seeing anyone that's worth bringing in that isn't -out of the frying pan and into the fire- kind of difference.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (21h) : Like that Eli was "known" not to study or something
Zero2Cool (21h) : AH, ok. i got that one quick, but thought maybe there's something more
Mucky Tundra (21h) : Zero, regarding Eli scouting Rodgers, that's the joke. Rodgers only played 4 snaps so it would take Eli 5 minutes to scout him
Zero2Cool (22h) : Jordan Love not seen at practice today.
Zero2Cool (22h) : De’Von Achane practiced today in what appeared to be a lighter walkthrough session.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Colts put promising CB on IR ...
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : It's a long, long record!! lol
dfosterf (11-Sep) : This trade offer and rejection is going on your PERMANENT RECORD young man, lol
dfosterf (11-Sep) : It wouldn't be a release, he'd be going to a good home, lol
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : lol i dropped one already, then I'd have to give up someone i don't want to release
dfosterf (11-Sep) : Go tell your dad you have been afforded the opportunity to aquire him without dropping two, lol
dfosterf (11-Sep) : My drop of Mattison might be a good pickup for someone
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : Wright is good pickup. Was telling my dad I wanted to get him but needed to cut 2 lol
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : What am I missing? There was only handful of snaps.
Mucky Tundra (11-Sep) : beast, neither did I
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : Lions hosted Anders Carlson and Greg Joseph (signed) for visits
beast (10-Sep) : Lol, I didn't get it at first lol
Mucky Tundra (10-Sep) : In preparation for last nights Manning cast, Eli went back watched all of Rodgers snaps from last season
Zero2Cool (10-Sep) : Suppose we don't need the Week One announcement banner thing anymore.
Zero2Cool (10-Sep) : Oh, it's fixed now.
Zero2Cool (10-Sep) : lol and I'm 0-2 after week 1
Mucky Tundra (10-Sep) : It was a close one though
Zero2Cool (10-Sep) : Gonna drop first game of season. And my QB is out for X weeks.
Mucky Tundra (10-Sep) : Looks like you're doing fine to me
Mucky Tundra (10-Sep) : Zero, why did you say your fantasy team is doodoo?
Zero2Cool (9-Sep) : McCaffery is OUT. Interesting
Zero2Cool (9-Sep) : Commanders cut Cade York. Wasn't he the guy some of you wanted in GB?
Zero2Cool (9-Sep) : my fantasy team is doodoo
Mucky Tundra (9-Sep) : Rams-Lions with an anticlimactic OT but smart football on the Lions part
Mucky Tundra (8-Sep) : oh i misread the cap hit, it's even more than that lol
Mucky Tundra (8-Sep) : *$145 million cap hit
Mucky Tundra (8-Sep) : you have to wonder at some point if the Browns bite the bullet, cut Watson and eat the $145 million dollar bullet
Martha Careful (8-Sep) : please note the qualification "by the end of the day"
Mucky Tundra (8-Sep) : They did actually! Didn't catch the score, get back to me in 10 hours ;)
Zero2Cool (8-Sep) : Lions already played and won?
Mucky Tundra (8-Sep) : But yeah, meet the new Bears QB, same as the old Bears QB
Mucky Tundra (8-Sep) : Also, sarcasm alert
Mucky Tundra (8-Sep) : Naw that was all Williams, his *aura* propelled that team
bboystyle (8-Sep) : more good news. Caleb looks worse than Fields
Martha Careful (8-Sep) : and the good news department, assuming he returns to good health. It would appear financially we probably got a good deal for Jordan Love
Martha Careful (8-Sep) : it looks like we will be in last place by ourselves by the end of the day
Mucky Tundra (8-Sep) : And now the Titans are self-destructing vs the Bears
Mucky Tundra (8-Sep) : Titans are cruising against the Bears
Martha Careful (8-Sep) : Good One Mucky,! I am going to use that!!!
Mucky Tundra (8-Sep) : Notre Dame? more like Notre Lame!
Martha Careful (8-Sep) : it was great to see Northern Illinois upset Notre Dame at Notre Dame
Mucky Tundra (7-Sep) : I mean, they traded for Willis after a year and a half of Clifford, seems pretty definitive
TheKanataThrilla (7-Sep) : Do we with Clifford or Willis? You'd think Clifford has a better knowledge of the playbook
Mucky Tundra (7-Sep) : Definitely filing that under the "I'm getting old" category
Mucky Tundra (7-Sep) : Donald Drivers son Christian caught a TD pass playing for the University of Minnesota today.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

10-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

6-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6-Sep / Random Babble / Martha Careful

6-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.