Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:56:00 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 397
Applause Received: 1,075

Okay.. with Harrell basically providing nothing the past two year and doubts going forward...

Rewind the clock and make your 1st round pick for the Green Bay Packers.. try to be realistic in nature with regards to our roster at that time.

For instance.. one could say Jon Beason.. but Barnett had been and was still the starter today.. probably doesn't make a ton of sense.

But.. make your pick and give a little blurb on why you make that pick.

2007 Draft and To Date Stats...

Mine.. now and still at that time was Ben Grubbs.. would have solved one of the pieces of the puzzle on the interior of our line.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline go.pack.go.  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:02:34 PM(UTC)
go.pack.go.

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 44

Mine would be Greg Olsen. That's who I was really hoping for, and I just knew that's who we were going to get. I was surprised he was still on the board at that time...then Justin Harrell's name came up and I'm like WHO IS HE?!?!?

I think Greg Olsen would have been good for us, and he was one of our needs at the time.
Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
Offline dfosterf  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:11:57 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 198
Applause Received: 416

Interesting that the two players I would have thought of in hindsight were effectively eliminated. Beason for obvious reasons, and yes, I think my "fair" pick would be Olsen, accounting for where we were as a team at the time. This is another opportunity for me to say that as pi$$ed as I am at Bustin, I also want to be fair and say that I understood the pick at the time. What I am saying is that he showed the potential to be a game changer, and DT's are ALWAYS high risk, and rarely bring much if any immediate positive impact tp a football team. His injuries have probably destroyed his career, and an argument could be made the careers of several coaches, but ultimately it is no one's "fault."
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline Pack93z  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:18:19 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 397
Applause Received: 1,075

I understood the Harrell pick then and now in the terms of a player, potential and position.. but I think the lesson learned about injury risk and history have been learned as well.

This is more for fun and time burning than complaining about Harrell.. at least I hope that is the direction the thread goes.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:26:26 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 198
Applause Received: 416

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I understood the Harrell pick then and now in the terms of a player, potential and position.. but I think the lesson learned about injury risk and history have been learned as well.

This is more for fun and time burning than complaining about Harrell.. at least I hope that is the direction the thread goes.

One more comment about Justin Harrell, and it IS on a more positive/lighter note. Hindsighters LOVE to bring the phrase, HE HAS BEEN INJURY PRONE since High school! I say, whatever...it was factored in, and what part a has to do with part b...well, don't get me goin', lol...

Since I picked Olson, and we didn't, and since we are going to take a massive hit on Bustin' regardless of whether he is on our NT/DE or not... and since we got SO MANY people interested in what Justin did since High School... Let's make HIM our tight end. LAUGH if you want...now, go look who was an all-american tight end in high school...
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline Since69  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:30:59 PM(UTC)
Since69

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 81

Mine would be Greg Olsen. That's who I was really hoping for, and I just knew that's who we were going to get. I was surprised he was still on the board at that time...then Justin Harrell's name came up and I'm like WHO IS HE?!?!?

I think Greg Olsen would have been good for us, and he was one of our needs at the time.

Agreed. Olsen would have been my pick as well.
UserPostedImage
Offline Rockmolder  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:33:11 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 156
Applause Received: 258

One more comment about Justin Harrell, and it IS on a more positive/lighter note. Hindsighters LOVE to bring the phrase, HE HAS BEEN INJURY PRONE since High school! I say, whatever...it was factored in, and what part a has to do with part b...well, don't get me goin', lol...

Since I picked Olson, and we didn't, and since we are going to take a massive hit on Bustin' regardless of whether he is on our NT/DE or not... and since we got SO MANY people interested in what Justin did since High School... Let's make HIM our tight end. LAUGH if you want...now, go look who was an all-american tight end in high school...

Now I obviously prefer if he would be healthy and could just play NT. He has tons of potential.

This isn't that weird of an idea though. Maybe get him in there as a TE from time to time like the Pats do with Vrabel. Maybe on goal-line situations, getting a big guy that can ramble his way through DBs.

As for the pick, I have no idea. Bowe looks kinda nice, with Jennings having a promosing rookie season, but nothing spectacular.
UserPostedImage
Offline Packnic  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:57:13 PM(UTC)
Packnic

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 6

cool thread. definitely agree with this...

If I had to do it over again, I'd take Eric Weddle, or maybe Olson or Zach Miller. all but Greg Olsen would have been considered a stretch at the time sure. But I've thought for a while that Utah has been putting out some very good football players and still think S is a position we can build on. I'm more than happy believe me, that we drafted Aaron Rouse. I really didn't consider him at the time, even though I loved him, as I thought we would handle the safety spot earlier in the draft. If we would have gone with Weddle it would've been a nice pick. Not spectacular but solid and more than doubled his production in year two showing great promise.
blank
Offline bakler5  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:56:03 PM(UTC)
bakler5

I would have went with Michael Griffin, and was really hoping for him, or for a trade down to get either Olsen or Weddle. Weddle was my favorite player when he was in college, but knowing what I know now I would have been just as upset if we picked Olsen as I am that we picked Harrell. I just don't think Olsen is as great as some make him out to be. At the time Safety was a big area of concern and Griffin would have been a great addition.
God didn't create Aaron Rodgers, Aaron Rodgers created God.
Offline go.pack.go.  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:57:20 PM(UTC)
go.pack.go.

Remember who Greg Olsen's QB is...
Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
Offline zombieslayer  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:01:43 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

I wanted Greg Olsen then and now that it's in hindsight, I can unfortunately say "I told you so." Not you, of course because you also said Greg Olson.

I wish I was wrong and Bustin turned out to be a stud, but I was unfortunately right. :(
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline bakler5  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:04:12 PM(UTC)
bakler5

I hear ya on that, but I just don't see great potential, granted I don't watch a lot of Bears games. Maybe I am biased because I absolutely love the potential of JerMichael Finley and what he brings to the table, and if we had drafted Greg Olsen that would cause us not to have him.
Offline go.pack.go.  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:13:47 PM(UTC)
go.pack.go.

I hear ya on that, but I just don't see great potential, granted I don't watch a lot of Bears games. Maybe I am biased because I absolutely love the potential of JerMichael Finley and what he brings to the table, and if we had drafted Greg Olsen that would cause us not to have him.

I also love the potential that Jermichael Finley has. I want to see him with some more playing time.

But remember, Finley wasn't in that draft, Olsen was the best TE available there. We're talking about then, not now haha.

But I agree, we probably wouldn't have Finley if we had Olsen, but who would be better I wonder as a true starter...I don't know because neither get all of the time at TE.
Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
Offline bakler5  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:28:23 PM(UTC)
bakler5

But remember, Finley wasn't in that draft, Olsen was the best TE available there. We're talking about then, not now haha.

Which is why I said originally I did want Olsen, but knowing what I do now I would rather not have him. :icon_smile:

Going into the draft I thought it was a lock that the Packers were going to get Marshawn Lynch one way or another and was really disappointed that we didn't. After he got selected my focus changed to Griffin, Weddle, or Olsen because quite frankly they were the only ones I knew about from watching them in College, since I was so sure that we had Lynch locked up I didn't care to look at any other first rounders. When we picked Harrell I felt like throwing my TV out the window.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:30:21 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

After looking at this season and the injuries to Bigby and Rouse, and the players that were still available.

Michael Griffen would have been nice in the safety depth this year.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed