You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 5:35:31 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 365
Applause Received: 263

The host of a local radio sports-talk show I like pointed this out a couple of nights ago, so I went back through the play-by-play and reviewed the game highlights to confirm that he was, in fact, right.

For those of you who say Rodgers has no 4th-quarter comebacks, I give you the Green Bay/Carolina game. Here is the 4th-quarter rundown:

The Packers enter the 4th quarter on the CAR 33, tied at 21-21, having already held the ball for the last 3:02 of the 3rd quarter. Three plays later, Rodgers tosses a 21-yard TD pass to Gregg Jennings, and the extra point is good.

Score: 28-21 with 13:43 remaining.

On the ensuing possession, Tramon Williams intercepts a pass to Muhsin Muhammad, but is also charged with pass interference, which is enforced at the 50. (Defense fucks up.) Barely one minute and 21 seconds later, DeAngelo Williams runs it in for a 1-yard TD. (Defense folds.)

Score: 28-28 with 11:10 remaining.

The Packers then march down the field to the CAR 14, where Rodgers is sacked out-of-bounds and Julius Peppers is called for unnecessary roughness (enforced at the 7, half the distance to the goal line). Inexplicably, Mike McCarthy, who has the best red-zone quarterback in the league, then calls 3 consecutive runs for a grand total of 6 yards (all on the first play), and the Packers are forced to settle for a 19-yard field goal.

Score: 31-28 with 1:57 remaining.

On the ensuing kickoff, M. Jones is pushed out of bounds at the CAR 45. (Special teams folds.) On the next play, Brandon Chillar and Charles Woodson are burned for a 54-yard pass to Steve Smith, who is downed at the GB 1. (Defense folds . . . again.) Next play DeAngelo Williams runs it in for a TD. Jarrett Bush is also called for off-sides, which is assessed on the ensuing kickoff. (Defense fucks up . . . again.)

Score: 31-35 with 1:30 remaining.

On the ensuing kickoff, Tramon Williams returns the ball to the GB 17. The following play, Rodgers throws an incomplete pass to Jennings. On the next pass, he throws an interception intended for Donald Driver. If you look at the replay, Driver looks completely confused, so there was obviously some sort of miscommunication. It's impossible to know who was at fault here. Either way, he was tightly covered, so it was a risky throw.

Score: 31-35 with 1:09 remaining.

On the ensuing three plays, Carolina runs out the clock, running for a total of 8 yards (all on the first play). They then punt to the GB 6.

Score: 31-35 with 0:02 remaining.

Rodgers throws an incomplete pass to Jennings.

END OF GAME.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Rios39  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 5:40:46 PM(UTC)
Rios39

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 30

On the interception Donald Driver waved for the ball because he got behind the D, Aaron was on the run, saw him and threw it. Bad thing is he was on the run and didn't put enough on the ball. It would have been a good play if he got it deep enough. But it was strictly an improved route that they just didn't connect on.
blank
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 5:41:09 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Looking at the play-by-play, it's obvious that Rodgers leads the Packers to a lead twice in the 4th quarter, including a drive that chewed 10:13 off the clock, and leaves his defense with a lead inside of 2:00. Yes, the interception was inexcusable, but the offense held the ball for over 12 minutes in the 4th quarter! Therefore, in my opinion, the defense and special teams units must bear primary responsibility for this loss.

At the same time, a good deal of the blame must be laid at Mike McCarthy's feet. Had he gone for the touchdown instead of settling for a field goal, he would have put his offense, which had dominated time of possession, in a tied position on the final drive, meaning that a field goal could have won it, instead of forcing his quarterback to play from behind.

Yes, Rodgers' INT sealed the defeat, but for heaven's sake, give him some credit.
UserPostedImage
Offline go.pack.go.  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 5:49:38 PM(UTC)
go.pack.go.

Applause Received: 44

And in comes dhazer saying we put no blame on Rodgers for any losses...
Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
Offline CDNRodgersfan  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 6:58:29 PM(UTC)
CDNRodgersfan

Applause Received: 1

I have enough faith in Rodgers for this next year I don't feel any need to defend him. To me still it's about win or losses and I'm not big on giving brownie points for effort. The difference this next year is Rodgers will be the leader who finds away to end these close ones in a win no matter if he's got the whole team onm his back.
Online dhazer  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:04:41 PM(UTC)
dhazer

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 170

Sorry Non but im confused on this one. Are you saying he had a late 4th quarter comeback or are you showing he failed as he has all year in the final 5 minutes? I just don't get the meaning behind this one sorry.

as far as this
On the ensuing kickoff, M. Jones is pushed out of bounds at the CAR 45. (Special teams folds.) On the next play, Brandon Chillar and Charles Woodson are burned for a 54-yard pass to Steve Smith, who is downed at the GB 1. (Defense folds . . . again.)

Did you see the play it was a great catch by Smith not much you can do but give him the credit. If i remember correctly he was double covered. I'm looking for video proof.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline Rios39  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:07:43 PM(UTC)
Rios39

Applause Received: 30

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Sorry Non but im confused on this one. Are you saying he had a late 4th quarter comeback or are you showing he failed as he has all year in the final 5 minutes? I just don't get the meaning behind this one sorry.

He's showing that the Defense let us down when we needed them the most.
blank
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:08:04 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

He didn't fail. He left the field inside of 2:00 with a lead, having held the ball for over 11:00 in that quarter -- and having lead the team to a lead twice in that same quarter (both of which probably would have been TDs had McCarthy not suddenly got cold feet on the second drive). It was the defense and special teams, objectively and unarguably, who failed.

I'm not giving brownie points for effort. I'm pointing out no team should lose when their offense has held the ball for nearly 13 minutes in the final quarter and over 16 of the final 19 minutes.
UserPostedImage
Offline longtimefan  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:22:10 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Received: 21

4th quarter come back means in the 4th q he leads the team to take the lead or tie

that is what John Elway and Bretts stats are based on..

NOT 5 minutes left in the game

Soto say he has no 4th q comebacks is a blatant lie
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:29:40 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Good point, LT. That was the other thing Jim Sosha pointed out on his show: that "5-minute-comeback" stat is carefully designed to excise out all the good accomplishments Rodgers had in the 4th quarter this season (they scored more 4th-quarter points than any team in the league!). That stat doesn't fairly reflect the accomplishments of Favre or Elway.
UserPostedImage
Online dhazer  
#11 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:30:11 PM(UTC)
dhazer

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 170

Ok long show me where he had a 4th quarter comeback for a win thats what they mean by 4th quarter comebacks sorry. So it is far from a blatant lie.

And sorry NON yes Rodgers did fail you even showed it, he threw an INT that sealed the game. And Long it wasn't a desperation throw it was plain and simply a shitty pass he didn't have to make. I just hope he shakes off the failures and learns from them or we are in for a long 5 years with him at qb.

Also if you are saying taking a lead in the 4th quarter is a comeback i would love to know how many Elway, Favre, and Montana had in there careers.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline porky88  
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:04:28 PM(UTC)
porky88

Applause Given: 156
Applause Received: 284

Quote:
Score: 31-35 with 1:30 remaining.]

On the ensuing kickoff, Tramon Williams returns the ball to the GB 17. The following play, Rodgers throws an incomplete pass to Jennings. On the next pass, he throws an interception intended for Donald Driver. If you look at the replay, Driver looks completely confused, so there was obviously some sort of miscommunication. It's impossible to know who was at fault here. Either way, he was tightly covered, so it was a risky throw.

It was a poor throw and it was into coverage. Now I'm not saying it's his fault the Packers loss, but he had a chance to lead a comeback and the fact is he didn't.

The best argument for Rodgers is he lead them on a clutch drive against the Bears on Monday Night and the field goal was blocked with like 10 seconds left. That was his game winning drive, but this one was the defense and special teams blowing it to what you can argue a season high.

Once again ignoring the problem Aaron Rodgers has leading the team to a comeback would be a HUGE mistake. It can be fixed, but hopefully the coaches don't choose to ignore it like some fans are.

Overall his first season would earn him a B grade from me and that is great for a first year starter, but it shows he has to improve and the final five minutes of the fourth quarter is where he needs to start in my opinion.
Offline Stevetarded  
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:05:49 PM(UTC)
Stevetarded

Applause Received: 63

Thats what their comback stats are based off of, simply taking the lead in the 4th quarter.
blank
Offline blueleopard  
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:16:03 PM(UTC)
blueleopard

Applause Received: 57

Those are not what comeback stats are composed of.

In the last 10 minutes of the 4th quarter alone, the lead CHANGED 3 TIMES. Rodgers was responsible for that.

So why should he get the blame when Carolina scores in like three plays? Steve Smith catches a 54-yard pass and it's Rodgers' fault? Okay.

He throws a pick. Fine. But I bet if you put Favre in the same situation, he'd throw three.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline dfosterf  
#15 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:24:05 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 337

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

He throws a pick. Fine. But I bet if you put Favre in the same situation, he'd throw three.

I think there's a rule somewhere authorizing no more than one interception per play.

j/k
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.