Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 10:24:44 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,868
Applause Received: 2,044

Sorry if we have a Peppers dedicated thread already, but I wanted to get this out there and I'm cramped for time.

Wolf got his QB, then his DE.
Thompson has his QB, could Peppers be his DE?

I'd break the bank for Peppers with an offer he can not refuse.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline bozz_2006  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 10:40:04 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 12

I would like to see that happen, Zero. Didn't he express interest in working with a Capers 3-4 defense?
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 10:42:28 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,868
Applause Received: 2,044

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I would like to see that happen, Zero. Didn't he express interest in working with a Capers 3-4 defense?
I don't really know if he has expressed interest specifically in Capers 3 - 4, but I believe I read he feels he could max his talent in a 3 - 4 scheme.
UserPostedImage
Offline go.pack.go.  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:44:07 AM(UTC)
go.pack.go.

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 44

I wouldn't mind having him, but how good is he at covering backs and TEs?
Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
Offline bozz_2006  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:47:57 AM(UTC)
bozz_2006

that's the million dollar question, buddy.
UserPostedImage
Offline bozz_2006  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:48:27 AM(UTC)
bozz_2006

or probably the 75 million dollar question (40 million guaranteed)
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigbyfan  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:21:38 AM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Applause Given: 21
Applause Received: 71

Julius Peppers was used in some zone blitzes at Carolina. If I remember right, he may actually have some interceptions, maybe 1?
blank
Offline blueleopard  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:22:54 AM(UTC)
blueleopard

Applause Received: 69

I distinctly remember Peppers dropping into coverage and picking off one of Brett's passes. It was in the 4-12 season though, so it's not like Brett had anybody to throw to.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline toronto_cheesehead  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:19:58 AM(UTC)
toronto_cheesehead

I distinctly remember Peppers dropping into coverage and picking off one of Brett's passes. It was in the 4-12 season though, so it's not like Brett had anybody to throw to.

I remember him dropping into coverage and picking off a pass a few years ago too. It wasn't against the Pack, but I do remember him returning it for a TD.
blank
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:14:05 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

In his 7-year career, Julius Peppers has 339 tackles (273 solo, 66 assists); 70.5 sacks; 36 passes defensed; 4 interceptions (1 for a touchdown).

Is he really worth the money he is going to command for less than 50 tackles, 10 sacks, 5 passes defensed, and 1 INT per year?
UserPostedImage
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:29:10 AM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Applause Given: 8
Applause Received: 66

Hm, I can't help but think your line of thinking is only factoring (or perhaps factoring in too much) stats.

Peppers is a dynamic player that would surely command double teams in some key situations. Those double teams open things up for other players.

Peppers has also been through adversity, and has yet to fail in over coming it. He's been on some under performing teams, had some tough seasons, etc. and he'd fit in so well as a leader type figure that Charles and Al claimed we needed. If Peppers also alludes a type of quiet confidence when he plays, that too would surely help boost our D in light of the constant failings near the end of the games.

That said, he's 29. Ted will not over pay for a free agent DE whose long term success is not highly assured, I feel, especially after KGB became a shell of himself in a matter of months.

I'm pretty sure money spent on Peppers could be better spent (and a lot less spent) on going out and getting talent that is familiar with the 3-4, especially some of the older vets that are on their last legs, but crafty enough to use their experience to their advantage while at the same time helping fellow players new to a 3-4 transition to that scheme and style of play.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:29:38 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

Peter King says:

Quote:
Julius Peppers wants to go elsewhere. The Panthers aren't going to let him, not without significant compensation. Look for this one to last a long time, for the Panthers to franchise Peppers and try to entice an offer of at least a first-rounder for him. Wouldn't be surprised to see Miami offer its first-round pick for him. It'd be a fair offer. Peppers and Phillip Merling would be a nice combo in the Dolphins' 3-4 scheme.

There is no way in hell Ted Thompson offers Carolina first-rounder for Peppers.
UserPostedImage
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:37:35 AM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Applause Given: 8
Applause Received: 66

At times I've wondered if Peppers basically made things difficult for himself by making it publicly known he wanted out.

It kinda limits the choices of the Panthers to A) Franchise Peppers and get something for him or B) Let him skip his way out of town with nothing to show.

Not a hard choice for the Panthers. I wonder if it'd be easier for Peppers to play along as if he'd come back, making the Panthers think it'd be more beneficial to Franchise Gross (because Peppers seems to want to stay, and Gross is a heck of a lot lesser than Peppers after being Franchised).

Panthers then Franchise Gross, leaving a clear path for Peppers to walk away. Andrew Brandt mentioned that the Panthers would Franchise whoever they felt was more likely to get away from them... wonder if Pepper acted out when he shouldn't have.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Offline DakotaT  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:17:55 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 1,314

Why don't we trade Kampmann to Carolina for Peppers. Peppers obviuosly has to do the sign and trade thing, but he would work much better in our new 3/4, then Kampmann going to.

I just don't think Kampmann's game translates to the 3/4. He's too slow for the OLB position and too small for DE.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:37:47 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 382
Applause Received: 1,027

That said, he's 29. Ted will not over pay for a free agent DE whose long term success is not highly assured, I feel, especially after KGB became a shell of himself in a matter of months.

How old is Kampman.. just for reference. How many more years does he have left and his contract will come calling next season.

I stated this in another thread.. my concern with Peppers is he looked disinterested in playing in 07, then turned on the juice last year in his contract year.

Then he comes out this offseason and plants the money seed that he wants to play elsewhere.. which may be true or may be just a ploy to drive his contract up.. hoping the Panthers pony up a brinks truck full of cash.

We don't need another Smokin Joe on the roster.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed