Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline McPack  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 11:12:27 AM(UTC)
McPack

Applause Received: 1

Here's a snippet from Silver's article this morning.

--

Old Logic: The Packers will defeat the Chargers in Super Bowl XLIII. OK, that was my logic.

New Logic: Well, lets see: The Chargers are 3-5 and just fired their defensive coordinator in the middle of the season, and the 4-4 Packers are about to play what could turn out to be a must-win game at Minnesota. Its tempting to claim temporary insanity, cut my losses and come up with two new teams. In my heart, however, Im only halfway there. San Diego, scarily, still has a very good chance of winning the AFC West, if only because the first-place Broncos are approximating the trajectory of the U.S. economy. Yet Ive seen enough of the Chargers flaws exposed to conclude that a dramatic playoff run would be highly unlikely. Given that I spent all of last season extolling the Titans virtues, long before they emerged as a surprising playoff team, I dont feel all that sheepish about jumping on 8-0 Tennessee as my revised choice to win the AFC.

As for the Pack well, Im not quite ready to let go. Certainly, the 7-1 Giants are the class of the NFC at this point, and they will be very tough to beat as they attempt to defend their championship. Green Bay, conversely, might not even make it to the postseason. But I still have this suspicion that the Packers, coming off an overtime defeat to the Titans, are getting it together and have a run in them. Halfback Ryan Grant is finally starting to show flashes of last seasons form, and Aaron Rodgers is getting more and more comfortable as he fights through a painful shoulder injury. So Im sticking with my Packers pick at least for another week and looking forward to a Green Bay-Tennessee rematch in Tampa come February.
blank
Offline dfosterf  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 12:38:43 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 198
Applause Received: 416

My glass is half-full. I thought Ryan Grant was hitting those holes HARD. It seemed like we dropped a crapload of interceptions in that game. We lost to a very, very good football team, an even better one than I thought, and I thought they were good. We can hang with anyone in this league, I really feel that. We have the personnel and the potential to improve quite a bit yet this season, it's one of the neat things about being so young as a team. I read somewhere that it's grasping at straws to be optimistic. A lot of times, I'd agree with that assessment. Not this time. I really sense that we are going to kick the snot out of Minnesota this week, and that's not smack-talk. I really think so.
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline gbpfan  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:45:12 PM(UTC)
gbpfan

Applause Received: 3

i agree with you i think we beat minn our d-line is a beast they showed that against a very good team our o-line is coming along and allen may not play witch may help our o-line even more i think da bears lose this weekend which will help us and just the way they are playing makes me belive :icon_smile:
blank
Offline McPack  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 2:25:15 PM(UTC)
McPack

Applause Received: 1

Funny thing is, I feel better about this team after the loss than I did before the game. Aaron made some mistakes, but I think he's the kind of player who will learn from them (and learn quickly). I'd rather have had a win, but sometimes a young team can learn even more from the losses.

We now know we can go toe-to-toe with the best in the league, and we're only going to get better.
blank
Offline Greg C.  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 2:47:54 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Funny thing is, I feel better about this team after the loss than I did before the game. Aaron made some mistakes, but I think he's the kind of player who will learn from them (and learn quickly). I'd rather have had a win, but sometimes a young team can learn even more from the losses.

We now know we can go toe-to-toe with the best in the league, and we're only going to get better.

I feel better about them too, except for one thing: They are now 4-4, so there is not much room for error. They may need to go 6-2 the rest of the way to make the playoffs. Even if they play well the rest of the way, a few injuries or unlucky bounces could keep them out of the playoffs.

Having said that, I think they'll win 6 or 7 more games and make the playoffs.
blank
Offline warhawk  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 2:53:32 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 220

I feel better about them too, except for one thing: They are now 4-4, so there is not much room for error. They may need to go 6-2 the rest of the way to make the playoffs. Even if they play well the rest of the way, a few injuries or unlucky bounces could keep them out of the playoffs.

Having said that, I think they'll win 6 or 7 more games and make the playoffs.

I agree. There is not a team remaining we cannot beat or who has better or more healthy personnel than we do. Hopefully our health issues STAY behind us and I believe if that happens we will be fine.
"The train is leaving the station."
Offline MassPackersFan  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 3:21:04 PM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

Applause Received: 7

Jacksonville and Minnesota x2 won't prove to be as hard as they looked preseason.
Carolina (at home) and N.O. (away) look like the toughest games remaining, imo.
UserPostedImage
Offline Trippster  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 3:24:04 PM(UTC)
Trippster

Applause Received: 10

We area 500 team. nothing better, nothing worse.

Can we beat all the teams that are remaining on our schedule? Sure. However, most 500 teams can. It is the mistakes they make that keep them at 500. We have not proven we can consistently perform at a level higher than that.

The Titans are 8-0 because when they really needed to, their defense stepped up as did their offense. Ours did not.

We will most likely find a way to lose three or four more games and end up 8-8 or 9-7.

I hope I am wrong.
"Let Your Light Shine!"
Offline MassPackersFan  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:17:30 PM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

You know in some cultures, mediocre sports teams are tortured and/or murdered.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline evad04  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 5:16:50 PM(UTC)
evad04

Applause Given: 76
Applause Received: 139

The key is the remaining division games. If we sweep the Bears, we're in a great position. If we, for instance, split with the Bears and lose to Minnesota, the remainder of that schedule looks tough. It doesn't look like two teams from the North will make the playoffs. We have to win the division ... and when your down one game and have two remaining against the division leader and one more with the team you are tied with, that should be your focus.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.

"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Offline longtimefan  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 5:42:11 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Received: 21

we have to win division to get to playoffs wild card will more then likely come from the East
Offline PackerTraxx  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 5:51:55 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

The important thing is the team controls their own destiny so they get the credit or the blame.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline gbpfan  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 9:59:47 PM(UTC)
gbpfan

Applause Received: 3

for what ever reason jacksonville is not playing that well nor carolina saints well i know they have brees but you can get to him for sure texans they jsut lost their q.b although felt we could win that one team was so close i feel they should win this week and think we can beat the bears twice their d-line hasnt been playing very well and our d-line they need to stay a step ahead i think we will win our division :icon_smile:
blank
Offline Rockmolder  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:41:39 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 156
Applause Received: 258

Like said before, NO and Car are the hardest team on our schedule. We have to at least win all the division games, wich would give us 4 wins already, and we'll pretty much make it to the play-offs.

One big problem is the Bears though. They kicked our butts twice last year while they had an average team at best. We where 13-3. Obviously, they're finding some weak points against us, so lets just see how that turns out.

As for the rest of the schedule, I don't think we can take NO if Bush is healthy. He's nowhere near the RB he was in college, but when you get him the ball in the flats, he's deadly. That imo one of the big reasons why Brees is doing so well, they finally found a way to utilize Bush very well.

Carolina, we should be able to take them, although it might just depend on the form of the moment.

Minnesota we can't lose from and if we lose against Detroit, I'm going to kill somebody.

Let's just say that I expect at least another 5-6 wins, if the team keeps playing like they did last week.

(Sorry for the long rant. I'm bored out of my mind at school atm)
UserPostedImage
Offline MassPackersFan  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, November 5, 2008 12:05:29 PM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

It will be interesting to see how we fare against Chicago. They really had Brett's number the last few years. One play that stands out in my mind is the Urlacher INT last year... maybe because it happened right in front of me. Rodgers' mindset seems more suited to beating the Bears than Favre's volatile quarterbacking.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed