You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages<12345>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline millertime  
#31 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 6:52:41 PM(UTC)
millertime

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 3

Hopefully Collins, Jennings, and Williams are next
People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society.
-Vince Lombardi
Offline longtimefan  
#32 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 6:55:24 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
He should have honored his current contract and played it out.

(This will be the undoing of Ted Thompson....guaranteed!)

what if I were to tell you that during the summer they went to him and said lets re-do your contract and he said okay..

Then the whole drama thing happened..

He then went to them and said dont worry about it now, get the BF thing settled I'll still be here next year to work on it

But stuff like that never makes it into the media..And since it didn't you wont believe it..

Or will you?
Offline Zero2Cool  
#33 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 6:56:17 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,738
Applause Received: 1,784

Quote:
By Bob McGinn

Green Bay - Quarterback Aaron Rodgers impressive performance in seven starts was enough for the Green Bay Packers to sign him Friday to a lucrative contract through the 2014 season.

Rodgers signed the deal after practice at about 1 p.m. Terms were not disclosed.

Im very excited knowing that my future is going to be here in Green Bay, Rodgers said. I appreciate the commitment theyve made to me. [img]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20081031&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=81031110&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=318&Border=0[/img]Hopefully, I can prove to them that they made the correct decision to give me this extension.

Rodgers, 24, signed a five-year, $7.66 million contract in August 2005 after being the 24th selection in the first round. He was playing under his existing contract, which included a base salary of $1.052 million in both 2008 and 09, although his 09 base salary would have increased substantially because of an escalator clause.

But the Packers, with $19.994 million of room under the salary cap, had seen all they needed to see.

We think hes a good player and weve thought that for some time, Packers general manager Ted Thompson said. We think this is a good long-term investment for the organization.

Is Rodgers a worthy successor to Brett Favre?

I dont know if Im going to compare him to anybody, said Thompson. We just think hes going to be a very good NFL quarterback.

Were looking at it from a longer view rather than just the last two months. I do think hes gone in and played the games well. Hes had good command of the huddle. He has handled the chaos of an NFL game pretty well.

We think he will continue to develop in his craft.

Rodgers has a 98.8 passer rating, which ranks eighth in the National Football League. His predecessor, Favre, ranks 14th at 89.5 with the New York Jets.

Certainly, the contracts signed by quarterbacks Tony Romo and David Garrard with the Dallas Cowboys and Jacksonville Jaguars, respectively, weighed on negotiations between the Packers and David Dunn, the agent for Rodgers. Read More....

Edited by user Sunday, June 24, 2012 10:33:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Roddyboy  
#34 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 6:57:53 PM(UTC)
Roddyboy

TT's going to sign a bunch of his own guys and no FA's that could really help this team.

Get ready for a bunch of mediocre football.

This team may always be kind of good, but they will never be great, and they will never be Champions because of moves like this.

TT doesn't understand what Ron Wolf did.

You build a nucleus of a team through the draft, and you put it over the top by signing KEY freee agents for need.

TT is in love with himself so much he will only depend on the draft, and that will be his un-doing.

***edited***
Keep the stupid out of your posts, or I will remove it for you.
- Zero
blank
Offline cheeseheads123  
#35 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 7:06:33 PM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Applause Given: 58
Applause Received: 79

I'm glad to see this. But how do you think Jennings feels about this?
UserPostedImage
Offline dhazer  
#36 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 7:12:05 PM(UTC)
dhazer

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 170

I'll make this short and sweet. Huge mistake paying him elite qb money for a 4-3 starter that isn't blowing the league away. Oh well this was all expected TT's son is now rich maybe he could leave a bigger tip ;)
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline Greg C.  
#37 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 7:13:39 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

I bet Jennings is very happy, because now that Rodgers' contract is done, Jennings is the team's top priority.

Zero, thanks for the good news. This is awesome. Aaron deserves it.
blank
Offline dhazer  
#38 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 7:17:08 PM(UTC)
dhazer

I bet Jennings is very happy, because now that Rodgers' contract is done, Jennings is the team's top priority.

how can you honestly say he deserves elite qb money? he is 4-3 thats the bottom line. so pay a guy 20 million a year for a 9-7 season? I just don't understand maybe if he has done well for 2-3 years ya but not 7 games.
UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#39 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 7:17:45 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,738
Applause Received: 1,784

Why don't you read the article where he was asked? C'mon! This is about Rodgers for crying out loud. Sir Jennings has his own thread in which he says... well you go find it. :)

I don't know the numbers so I can't really say much about this contract yet. It's being reported as something like 11 million per year. I think that's a bit much. But then again I'm one of those tards who believes contracts should be more incentive based.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Greg C.  
#40 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 7:23:36 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

how can you honestly say he deserves elite qb money? he is 4-3 thats the bottom line. so pay a guy 20 million a year for a 9-7 season? I just don't understand maybe if he has done well for 2-3 years ya but not 7 games.

The terms of the deal have not been announced, so my comment was not about money, it was about the fact that he's got a contract through 2014. He deserves it for conducting himself like a pro for three years in the shadow of Brett Favre, then being completely ready to lead the team when he got his chance.

I'm confident that the money will be reasonable for the Packers. Thompson is not one to compromise the team's future by overpaying any one player.
blank
Offline HoustonMatt  
#41 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 7:29:48 PM(UTC)
HoustonMatt

The terms have been released. They were posted in the thread earlier. 6yrs/$65 million of which $20 million is guaranteed.

For comparison, Romo got 6yrs/$67 million of which $30 million is guaranteed.

David Garrard signed for 6yrs/$60 million of which $18 million is guaranteed.

Whether you agree with the money or not, what Aaron is being paid is right in line with what the market dictates.

EDIT:

For what it's worth, Matt Ryan, with zero experience, signed a 6yrs/$72 million deal of which $34.75 million is guaranteed.

So don't complain about the money. It's fair value, if not somewhat of a bargain.
blank
Offline brnt247  
#42 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 7:30:02 PM(UTC)
brnt247

Thompson is proving time and time again that he is one of the smartest GM's around. He has nearly completely changed this team since the Sherman era and replaced it with his guys and each and every season we get impressed by the rookies and see improvement from the previous year from the other young guys. We're going to be very good for very long, and we will have a very good quarterback for very long.
blank
Offline cheeseheads123  
#43 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 7:31:27 PM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Applause Given: 58
Applause Received: 79

Why don't you read the article where he was asked? C'mon! This is about Rodgers for crying out loud. Sir Jennings has his own thread in which he says... well you go find it. :)

I don't know the numbers so I can't really say much about this contract yet. It's being reported as something like 11 million per year. I think that's a bit much. But then again I'm one of those tards who believes contracts should be more incentive based.
Yeah i didn't read the whole thing my bad :).
UserPostedImage
Offline dhazer  
#44 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 7:31:44 PM(UTC)
dhazer

they just said on espn that its up there that he will being paid elite qb money. And how he handled himself sitting the bench i wouldnt be upset collecting free money would you?

$65 million for 6 years and 20 million guaranteed for a 4-3 starter thats just plain nuts.
UserPostedImage

Offline Greg C.  
#45 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 7:40:37 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

they just said on espn that its up there that he will being paid elite qb money. And how he handled himself sitting the bench i wouldnt be upset collecting free money would you?

$65 million for 6 years and 20 million guaranteed for a 4-3 starter thats just plain nuts.

Okay, I've seen the terms. (Thanks for posting that, Matt.) It is elite money, but not unreasonable. Good QB's do not grow on trees. Just ask fans of the Lions, Bears, or Vikings, for starters.

As for sitting on the bench, yes, I give Aaron a lot of credit for continuing to practice hard, to improve his attitude (they say he was a little too cocky when he first got here), and not make any snotty comments to the media, as so often happens when a highly touted player has to sit the bench. He couldn't have handled the whole thing any better than he did, with the only exception being the comment about fans needing to get on board or shut up, and he sort of backed down on that statement when asked about it later.
blank