Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline IronMan  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:04:38 AM(UTC)
IronMan

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 57
Applause Received: 75

Near the end of the 3rd quarter, we had the ball on the Colts 14 yard line, and on 3rd and 10, McCarthy decided to run it. Why? Does he not trust Aaron to throw it in that situation? Play calls like this are starting to add up.

I know we won. Thats not the point. I just think we have a better chance of getting the first down in that situation if we pass it.
Sponsor
Offline tromadz  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:19:52 AM(UTC)
tromadz

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 34

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Near the end of the 3rd quarter, we had the ball on the Colts 14 yard line, and on 3rd and 10, McCarthy decided to run it. Why? Does he not trust Aaron to throw it in that situation? Play calls like this are starting to add up.

I know we won. Thats not the point. I just think we have a better chance of getting the first down in that situation if we pass it.

Easy, to catch em off guard. Like you said, 3rd and 10 run? You obviously didnt expect it.

Did it work? I honestly dont remember but I assume it didn't. They don't always. I think like 99% of Rodgers TDs are on third downs, so I highly doubt its a trust issue.

McCarthy is likely to win the coach of the week this week so...yeah. Had he got a first down, would this thread exist?
Offline IronMan  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:26:56 AM(UTC)
IronMan

Well we got 3 yards so no it didn't work.

Look, I'm not complaining. McCarthy is a good coach, I just think that was a bad call. If it were 3rd and goal on the 14, and he ran the ball, would you still defend him? I mean, that would definitely catch the defense by surprise. But we would likely not get the first down either.

Whether or not the defense is expecting it, getting 10 yards on the ground doesn't happen very often. Pass is the better option there. I could understand if we were backed up in our own territory, and we run on 3rd and long to get some field position, but we were on their 14, and we run on 3rd and 10. Strange.
Offline IronMan  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:38:40 AM(UTC)
IronMan

McCarthy is likely to win the coach of the week this week

And he deserves it.

Had he got a first down, would this thread exist?

Yes. It would have still been a strange decision.
Offline Greg C.  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:24:38 AM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

Yeah, that was a real head-scratcher, more than any other call this year. I wonder if McCarthy was asked about it afterwards, because I'd like to hear his explanation.
blank
Offline IronMan  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:39:46 AM(UTC)
IronMan

A fan asked him about this play on the Mike McCarthy show Monday. With a smile on his face, he said. "I thought we would get the first down." (followed by crowd laughter)

He then said, (I'm paraphrasing) "It was a safe call. I felt we had a good match up in that situation." He also said there was a run/pass option on that play.

Hopefully later this week they will have the video up, so we can see his whole response.
Offline tromadz  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:52:05 AM(UTC)
tromadz

If it were 3rd and goal on the 14, and he ran the ball, would you still defend him?

Yeah. Packer coaches and whatnot always get the benefit of the doubt from me, cuz they're the pro's.

As far as the theoretical 3rd and goal from the 14 draw. Would I defend it? Depends on the SITUATION. What's the score? How much time is left?

If it's 3rd and goal from the 14, and we're up 10 with 1:32 left in the game. Yeah, draw city!

Situations.

I trust our coaches, despite some of the so-called head scratchers.

This reminds me of people complaining about why throw short of the first down marker on 3rd down, forgetting this team is awesome at yards after the catch.

Trust the coaches.
Offline IronMan  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:55:48 AM(UTC)
IronMan

Trust the coaches.

I do. That doesn't mean they are always right.
Offline tromadz  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:02:03 AM(UTC)
tromadz

Trust the coaches.

I do. That doesn't mean they are always right.

Nobody is always right, but he made the playcall for a reason.

There's tons of plays where I'm like "WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT!! RAHJH!" then I calm down and understand there's a method to the madness.

I honestly don't see the point in second guessing the playcalls, mostly because I think it would drive you batty! Like on draft day when we get nobodies and people are all 'rabble rabble rabble!'

But whatev. You disliked the call. It happens. I dislike every punt play because Frost is trash.
Offline bozz_2006  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:29:38 AM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14

trying to catch them off guard. weird call, yeah. it was supposed to be a weird call.
UserPostedImage
Offline original_tjb  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:54:58 AM(UTC)
original_tjb

He has a history of outsmarting himself with weird calls, especially near the goal line. His first year it was bad, but he is getting fewer weird calls last year or so.

I would prefer the Packers to call their best play even if the opposing team knows it is coming, like when Sherman called the U71 formation, Ahman Green running behind Tauscher and Kevin Barry. Unfortunately, the Packers OL is not up to that level yet, different running scheme etc. Hopefully soon they will be at the point where McCarthy does not have to outsmart himself, just crush the opposing D.

#1 Fan of Edgar Bennett, greatest of all known Packers in the observable universe.
UserPostedImage
Offline IronMan  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:08:52 AM(UTC)
IronMan

I would prefer the Packers to call their best play even if the opposing team knows it is coming,

MY POINT EXACTLY. THANK YOU!!!!
Offline stevegb  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:11:09 AM(UTC)
stevegb

Applause Given: 10
Applause Received: 10

Remember Indy is the worst ranked rush d, take that into account and their not expecting it then its not so strange.
blank
Offline wpr  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:16:29 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,966
Applause Received: 1,429

Trom said it. It is all about situations.
If GB was down by 21 they would have needed to go for the TD. Since they were up by 10 there is no need to push it. You saw what Rouse did in a similar situation. TN was at the 11. It was 2nd down. They were trailing and it was late in the 4th Qtr. He ran it back. Better to be up by 10 or 13 than only 3. TN had to go for it and got burnt. GB didn't have to.
Keep in mind if they were out at the 35-50 GB may well have passed the ball. Once you get down inside the 15 it is really hard to pass the ball for more than 5 yards as there just isn't very much room and the defense knows that. It is a lot harder to get 10 yards from the 15 that from the 40.
I do not remember if he was forced out of bounds. If not, the run would have kept the clock running. By the time you get into that point of the game and you have the lead and the ball you want to keep the clock going as much as possible.
One final thing. By running the ball it is now on game film. GB's upcoming opponents have to consider that the run is possible as they prepare for GB. It may not be very probable but they can not say that GB will pass 100% of the time. There was little risk by running and had a lot of benefits.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline IronMan  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:21:23 AM(UTC)
IronMan

I would prefer the Packers to call their best play even if the opposing team knows it is coming,

MY POINT EXACTLY. THANK YOU!!!!