Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline StarrMax1  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:45:30 PM(UTC)
StarrMax1

United States

Applause Given: 76
Applause Received: 66

Bill Huber wrote:
Greg Jennings and James Jones have left the past two offseasons but Jordy Nelson probably isn't going anywhere. "I think it’ll be different," Nelson said. "I wouldn’t be surprised if stuff (negotiations) starts picking up soon now that the draft and everything’s done with."

“I don't have any regrets,” he said about that contract. “It's easy to say that now. I go out and blow out my knee halfway through the season, now I'm the smart one. Trust me. What I got in that last deal, I'll never spend it all, anyway, so I'm not worried about it."

This line made me laugh thinking about every NFL agent cringing as they read this.

The intelligent NFL players get it, hopefully the new guys watch and learn from Jordy.

Easy prediction, I think anyway, that Jordy will be signing an extension before the season starts.

Edited by user Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:57:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks Post received 3 applause.
steveishere on 6/4/2014(UTC), play2win on 6/4/2014(UTC), Dexter_Sinister on 6/4/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline yooperfan  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:55:18 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 525
Applause Received: 243

Lock him up Ted!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 6/3/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 4:57:46 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,846
Applause Received: 2,004

Thank you for posting this and the quote. It reiterates what was said earlier about Jordy Nelson not being someone who goes for the big buck. Thus, will probably be resigned.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline play2win  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:43:11 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I'm wondering if he will give a LeRoy Butler type deal to the Packers... At least, I am sure that he wants to. What a truly great player to have on our team, and then Ted goes out and drafts two more....

They are like Stepford Jordys...
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 10:01:13 AM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 125
Applause Received: 89

If Jordy signs a low offer, does Cobb's agent get pissed that Jordy's number sets the bar and wants nothing to do with us?

To me it is smart if Jordy is looking to create a legacy for himself post-football. Why not stay with the Packers, catch passes from one of the greatest of all time and retire a Packer which may open up future employment after he has retired?

I feel a lot better now going into the season. My thoughts were we needed to sign one of two and would love it if we got both. One looks willing to be reasonable with financial expectations and wants to get the deal done early. Makes for much less of a distraction.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline steveishere  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 11:00:29 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 809

I don't think Nelson will necessarily take a low offer I just don't think he's going to want some huge offer and feel disrespected if he doesn't get it like Jennings apparently was. I think GB will offer him a fair deal without overpaying like they do with most of their best players. It will probably be somewhere around 9-10m average. Maybe he'll surprise and go way under that but I don't see it.
DoddPower on 6/4/2014(UTC)
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 11:52:57 AM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 125
Applause Received: 89

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
I don't think Nelson will necessarily take a low offer I just don't think he's going to want some huge offer and feel disrespected if he doesn't get it like Jennings apparently was. I think GB will offer him a fair deal without overpaying like they do with most of their best players. It will probably be somewhere around 9-10m average. Maybe he'll surprise and go way under that but I don't see it.

I'd be curious whether we would offer a 9-10m deal (which is what the market seems to be after the Marshall signing) to a WR after our draft. Does the draft force Jordy to take a lower amount to stay? Obviously it would be better to keep a veteran, but if all 3 of our drafted WR show promise and Boykin continues to improve do we roll the dice with them should the $$$ not be within the range we would want to pay?
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline Laser Gunns  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 12:06:48 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 38
Applause Received: 218

I like Jordy waaaay to much to see him in purple...

pay the man!

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline musccy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 12:21:46 PM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 149

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla Go to Quoted Post
I'd be curious whether we would offer a 9-10m deal (which is what the market seems to be after the Marshall signing) to a WR after our draft. Does the draft force Jordy to take a lower amount to stay? Obviously it would be better to keep a veteran, but if all 3 of our drafted WR show promise and Boykin continues to improve do we roll the dice with them should the $$$ not be within the range we would want to pay?

It's not just Jordy. Cobb and Boykin are all free agents in 10 months. This is a really tough cap situation for the Packers to be in with 3 unknowns just drafted who all might be significant contributors to the team. I'm assuming Cobb and Jordy combined will be in the 15-20 mil range and Jordy on the cusp of the downside of his career.
Offline steveishere  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 1:31:39 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 809

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
It's not just Jordy. Cobb and Boykin are all free agents in 10 months. This is a really tough cap situation for the Packers to be in with 3 unknowns just drafted who all might be significant contributors to the team. I'm assuming Cobb and Jordy combined will be in the 15-20 mil range and Jordy on the cusp of the downside of his career.

Boykin can still be RFA tendered though to like 1.5m for another year after this one so If Jordy gets a deal then Cobb is really the only question. Cobb hasn't to this oint really played up to a top level deal but there is a lot of hype there for him and he's super young so his contract could go either way.
Offline DakotaT  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:40:35 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,299

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post

I guess that's why Uncle Ted drafted three wide receivers this year.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 6:07:23 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 389
Applause Received: 224

Jordy is the big deal. He is better than Cobb now, and stands a better chance of staying healthy and good for longer. Ideally, Ted can re-sign both. However, if he can get Nelson for a reasonable price, the least of my worries would be what Cobb's agent thinks about it.

And hell yeah, those three drafted WRs give some leverage for lower offers and if necessary losing current wideouts.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 8:29:22 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 237
Applause Received: 253

I may be the odd one out but, I don't think the new players have much if any bearing on on Jordy and Cobb needing to be extended before the season starts.

You don't want to replace your best players. You want to upgrade the depth. Improving the team isn't getting rid your top WR. You upgrade your worst players and see if they can move up the depth chart.

You can't replace players with a promise of potential. Lots of players have had potential and never amounted to anything. One or more of the new guys could just not pan out or end up like Terrance Murphy. In fact the odds are probably pretty high that at least one of them doesn't work out in the long run.

The new WRs are all going to be on rookie contracts for about as long as I would expect Cobb and Nelsons extensions to be. By the time they are ready for new contracts, we will know if they are worth keeping over someone else.

A big factor to me is that the Packers offense is pretty complicated. WRs tend to take 2-3 years before they really catch on. If we let one or both of our experienced WRs go, that could be a huge set back for our offense.

If we don't hang on to Jordy and Cobb for next year, and the one we keep gets hurt, do we really want to go into a season with Boykin, Adams, Abbrederis and Janis?

I think we pretty much have to extend at least Nelson and Cobb. Preferably before the season starts.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
StarrMax1 on 6/5/2014(UTC)
Offline hardrocker950  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 10:22:57 PM(UTC)
hardrocker950

Applause Given: 63
Applause Received: 58

Jordy has never made a big deal about money - so this comes as no surprise to me. This alone makes him one of my favorite Packers. I have a lot of respect for guys who realize how good they have it - unlike others who flush it down the toilet for a bigger paycheck. Most receivers would kill to be catching passes from a top QB.
"I enjoy being just one of 53 on the team." - Aaron Rodgers
Offline StarrMax1  
#15 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2014 6:39:54 AM(UTC)
StarrMax1

United States

Applause Given: 76
Applause Received: 66

Good point Hardrocker, I'll add to it that Ted seems to reward the guys who let their agents do the negotiations, and don't take it to the public.

I watched the interview with Jordy on this subject, looked to me he really didn't want to address the subject with the media but they kept pressing him(which I guess is their job).

Dexter also made some good points, The Packers want their receivers to know all 3 positions, which does take time.

With the running game seemingly coming into it's own, I think The Packers could get by with 3 VETERAN wr's, any less and a team is just tempting fate.

Let the rookies from the last 2 years battle it out for the 2 or 3 positions that will be available, give them time to learn the system.

Boykin is by no means a veteran, but this will be his 2nd year, hopefully he makes that jump, still need Jordy and Randall around to keep the offense at it's best.
Rss Feed