Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yerko  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 5, 2014 10:48:06 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 141
Applause Received: 228

I make myself my own little wish list every year for the NFL Draft.

My list is usually limited to big school teams unless I attempt to dig deeper into small school prospects. I tried that a little this year and here is my list with 4 names per round, no particular order within the round.

Round 1: Pick 21
- Calvin Pryor (S- Louisville)
- CJ Mosley (ILB- Alabama)
- Ryan Shazier (OLB- Ohio State)
- Darqueze Dennard (CB- Michigan State)

Round 2: Pick 53
- Deone Bucannon (S- Washington State)
- Jimmie Ward (S- Northern Illinois)
- Jace Amaro (TE- Texas Tech)
- Bradley Roby (CB- Ohio State)

Round 3: Picks 85 and 98
- Jared Abbrederis (WR- Wisconsin)
- Troy Niklas (TE- Notre Dame)
- DaQuan Jones (DT- Penn State)
- Travis Swanson (C- Arkansas)

Round 4: Pick 121
- Shayne Skov (ILB- Stanford)
- Phillip Gaines (CB- Rice)
- Jordan Zumwalt (OLB- UCLA)
- CJ Fiedorowicz (TE- Iowa)

Round 5 Pick 161 and 176:
- Max Bullough (ILB- Michigan State)
- Ed Reynolds (S- Stanford)
- DeAndre Coleman (DT- Cal)
- Brandon Coleman (WR- Rutgers)

Round 6: Pick 197
- Ryan Groy (OG- Wisconsin)
- Prince Shembo (OLB- ND)
- Robert Herron (WR- Wyoming)
- David Fales- (QB- San Jose State)

Round 7: Pick 236
- Zach Moore (OLB- Concordia St. Paul)
- Isaiah Lewis (S- Michigan State)
- Jeff Janis (WR- Saginaw Valley)
- Andrew Jackson (ILB- Western Kentucky)

To make note, the two corners listed in the first two rounds are simply on a BPA basis. Dennard at 21 and especially Roby at 53 are steals and this would also solidify the Micah Hyde move to safety. I wouldn't love these choices but I also wouldn't hate them...

I based a lot of this list off of various positional rankings and suggested round of being drafted.
Your thoughts? What's your list look like if you have one?

I am so excited for the draft! Weeeee!!

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Wade on 5/6/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline play2win  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2014 6:28:34 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724

Yerks, I'll play!

This is the fun stuff...

Round 1: Pick 21
- Kelvin Benjamin (WR- Florida State)
- Ryan Shazier (OLB- Ohio State)
- CJ Mosley (ILB- Alabama)
- Kareen Martin (DE- North Carolina)

Round 2: Pick 53
- Deone Bucannon (S- Washington State)
- Trent Murphy (OLB/DE- Stanford)
- Louis Nix (NT- Notre Dame)
- Stanley Jean-Baptiste (CB- Nebraska)

Round 3: Picks 85 and 98
- Terrence Brooks (FS- Florida State)
- Pierre Desir (CB- Lindenwood)
- Martavis Bryant (WR- Clemson)
- Kyle Van Noy (OLB- BYU)

Round 4: Pick 121
- Brent Urban (DE/DT - Virginia)
- Telvin Smith (ILB- Florida State)
- Daniel McCullers (DT- Tennessee)
- CJ Fiedorowicz (TE- Iowa)

Round 5 Pick 161 and 176:
- Ahmad Dixon (S- Baylor)
- Max Bullough (ILB- Michigan State)
- Bryan Stork (C- Florida State)
- Kenny Ladler (S- Vanderbilt)

Round 6: Pick 197
- Jeremy Gallon (WR- Michigan)
- Jordan Tripp (LB- Montana)
- De'Anthony Thomas (RB/WR/KR- Oregon)
- Beau Allen (DT- Wisconsin)

Round 7: Pick 236
- Joe Don Duncan (TE- Dixie State)
- Ali Villanueva (TE- Army)
- Morgan Breslin (OLB- USC)
- Justin Britt (OT- Missouri)

Every single on of these players could help us. A pretty fun mix. Going with the Lottery pick of KB in R1, thinking he could be more boom than bust. I think he would fare very well having Rodgers throwing to him. Might take a couple of seasons to get in track at the NFL level of play, but it may be worth the risk, and he will make plays along the way. Might be too good to pass up there.

I'd be just as happy if they selected Bucannon at #21, as I think his skill level merits the pick, and he is a top need for our D IMO.

I really like Trent Murphy, and something tells me he would be great opposite Matthews. Total wrecking crew. A pretty solid group follows R3-R5, and I would be thrilled to get any of these players in these rounds. Brooks, Bryant, Urban, Dixon and Stork would be my top choices through this stretch.

On the back end, I really like Gallon as a backup for Cobb in the slot. He is an amazingly adept WR for such a small package, and lightning fast, as is Thomas, who would be fun to see out of the backfield. Thomas would be a superior KR, and could be a game changer. Duncan is massive, and knows how to do it all. Blocking and receiving are both very good. Villanueva is a 6-9 TE out of Army who could be an exceptional addition in the red zone - just not a lot of history due to his military commitments, which are all finished. I think the former Ranger could become a very good player if given the chance - and that height! Rodgers would love a target like that. Breslin is a OLB who was injured for most of 2013, and I think he could drop this low, but shows promise. The Britt kid could add quality depth at RT.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 6, 2014 8:00:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks Post received 1 applause.
Yerko on 5/6/2014(UTC)
Offline Yerko  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2014 8:39:13 AM(UTC)
Yerko

I was very hesitant to add a WR in the 1st round simply because my outlook is a little different on the WR group (Sammy Watkins not included). I believe there is a huge drop off after Watkins which doesn't necessarily mean there are no other 1st round choices but that there is a bigger risk there.

Now, if all the possible defensive players are gone and someone like Bucannon (or Jimmie Ward) could be there in the 2nd...I wouldn't mind Kelvin Benjamin so much.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2014 8:50:17 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
I was very hesitant to add a WR in the 1st round simply because my outlook is a little different on the WR group (Sammy Watkins not included). I believe there is a huge drop off after Watkins which doesn't necessarily mean there are no other 1st round choices but that there is a bigger risk there.

Now, if all the possible defensive players are gone and someone like Bucannon (or Jimmie Ward) could be there in the 2nd...I wouldn't mind Kelvin Benjamin so much.

That's the thing, I believe the defenders we need will be there. This is a pretty deep draft for LBs, CBs, Ss and some DEs, not to mention WR. Ted won't have to jump on a WR, not at all, but if he feels Kelvin Benjamin is one of those really special players, I can see him making the pick.

Personally, I really, really want us to add the best defenders, but if we get a guy who is a real matchup nightmare, young, with a great skill set, size, speed, etc at WR, then I feel we definitely have room for him up at the top of our draft. Sometimes these special talents only come along once in a while, and if Ted feels the opportunity is too good to pass up, I would love to see that player in GB.

Huge risk indeed. WR is one of the biggest bust positions in any draft.

Shit! On another note, apparently the Eagles just signed the 6-9 Villanueva kid... http://www.nationalfootb...-play-defensive-end.html

Dang!!!!!

Edited by user Tuesday, May 6, 2014 11:35:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Wade  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:37:19 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 629
Applause Received: 647

Mine:

This is really hard....I decided to "average" four per pick, since some I couldn't think of four and some I couldn't narrow down. I've put down the position I see them primarily as in GB.

Round 1
Marquise Lee WR
Zack Martin OG
Justin Gilbert CB

Round 2 (this is the hardest for me; I could have added a dozen more here)
Jeremiah Attaochu OLB
Ju'Wuan James LT
Joel Botonio RT
Gabe Jackson RG
Kyle Van Noy OLB
Deone Bucannon FS

Round 3a:
Weston Richburg C
Tiny Richardson RT
DaQuan Jones DT

Round 3b:
Shade Tree McCullers NT
Rasheed Reynolds CB
Jordan Matthews WR

Round 4:
Christian Jones ILB
Trai Turner C
Nat Berhe FS/SS
Dontae Johnson FS

Round 5a:
Dri Archer SW ("speed weapon")
Ed Stinson DE
Caraun Reid DT
T J Jones WR

Round 5b:
Ryan Grant WR
Max Bullough ILB
Laurent Duvernay-Tardif LT
Marqueston Huff, CB

Round 6:
Kevin Norwood WR
Ross Cockrell CB
Rajion Neal, RB
Zach Moore, DE

Round 7:
Matt Armstrong C
De'Anthony Thomas RB
Aaron Colvin CB
Marcel Jensen TE
Tajh Boyd QB

Edited by user Wednesday, May 7, 2014 8:05:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: can't believe I omitted Berhe

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline Yerko  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2014 10:58:08 AM(UTC)
Yerko

I like your list minus one name, Wade...

Marqise Lee at 21.

Maybe I am just anti-WR at pick 21 as I said the same thing to play2win about Kelvin Benjamin.
UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2014 11:03:02 AM(UTC)
Wade

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
I like your list minus one name, Wade...

Marqise Lee at 21.

Maybe I am just anti-WR at pick 21 as I said the same thing to play2win about Kelvin Benjamin.

Actually, I agree with you. I'd rather trade down if Lee is BPA at 21 in the first. I was assuming that you didn't want us to add trade down scenarios, though, and of all the players "available at 21 but not at 53" he was the BPA after the others. I suppose I should have put Pryor there for the same reason, though. But I change my mind daily about Pryor.

I also agree with you on Benjamin. Actually, I wouldn't look at Benjamin untiil the third.

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline play2win  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2014 12:15:30 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Actually, I agree with you. I'd rather trade down if Lee is BPA at 21 in the first. I was assuming that you didn't want us to add trade down scenarios, though, and of all the players "available at 21 but not at 53" he was the BPA after the others. I suppose I should have put Pryor there for the same reason, though. But I change my mind daily about Pryor.

I also agree with you on Benjamin. Actually, I wouldn't look at Benjamin untiil the third.

I think that would be a mistake. He could prove to be a gigantic bank heist taking Benjamin with the 21. I remember Rob Wolf passing on Randy Moss. We regretted that immediately, the first game we played them...

Word has it SF will snap him up.
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2014 12:18:51 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 125
Applause Received: 85

My problem with a WR in the 1st is I think that Aaron Rodgers can improve the ability of most of these guys. That is why I would prefer the good route running guys since if they can stay disciplined I think Rodgers will get them the damn ball.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Yerko on 5/7/2014(UTC), Wade on 5/7/2014(UTC)
Offline Yerko  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2014 12:42:46 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I think that would be a mistake. He could prove to be a gigantic bank heist taking Benjamin with the 21. I remember Rob Wolf passing on Randy Moss. We regretted that immediately, the first game we played them...

play2win,
I am going to remember this (and the other threads) where you are all about Kelvin Benjamin and if he has an outstanding 1st season, regardless of the team he goes to (has to be the 1st round), I owe you a case of beer.

I am a man of my word.
UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:05:55 PM(UTC)
Wade

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post

I can't agree. Benjamin is not Moss. I don't think he has Moss's skill set. And while Moss had real red flags, his football brain wasn't one of them. (I don't think -- Anyone remember Moss's Wonderlic?)

No one thought Moss was a stretch talent-wise.

Talent-wise, Moss was as good (or better) than Watkins. Benjamin is at least one tier down from both of them.

Benjamin may be better than Lee. I don't agree, but a lot of people would say so.

But he's not Moss.

thanks Post received 2 applause.
DoddPower on 5/7/2014(UTC), TheKanataThrilla on 5/7/2014(UTC)
Offline Wade  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:09:14 PM(UTC)
Wade

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla Go to Quoted Post
My problem with a WR in the 1st is I think that Aaron Rodgers can improve the ability of most of these guys. That is why I would prefer the good route running guys since if they can stay disciplined I think Rodgers will get them the damn ball.

Agree completely.

And this draft has a good number of those route-running guys. That's part of the reason I like Lee better than Benjamin.

Jordan Matthews (2nd/early third).

Grant/T.J. Jones/Norwood later.

Offline uffda udfa  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2014 2:34:10 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 101
Applause Received: 100

Randy Moss scored a 12 on his wonderlic test. Benjamin should never be compared with Randy Moss. Moss ran 4.25 and had incredible hands to go with his height. Benjamin is on the slow side with 4.61 speed. These guys aren't in the same universe. Benjamin's 3 cone drill time is worse than a lot of DE's.... Kony Ealy ran a 6.83 in his 3 cone. Benjamin ran a 7.33. In fact, Benjamin wouldn't have cracked the Top 15 for 3 cone drill numbers for defensive lineman. Benjamin is tall and about it. I will boldly predict there is no way in the world Ted Thompson takes this guy. He is one of the guys I don't want in this draft.

I want Jeremiah Attaochu...he will make the draft for me. I also want one of the stud WR prospects Latimer/Matthews/Moncrief/Beckham.

I've warmed to the idea of Ryan Shazier when I was totally opposed to it just due to the Ohio State thing but that's ridiculous. The guy has unique speed.

Wouldn't mind the guy many here don't want in Louis Nix...guy would be fun to have on the team. He's a different type of fun personality and I think he can play.

Would love Aaron Murray as a mid round selection as high as our 3rd round comp pick.

A 7th round flier on Colt Lyerla would be intriguing.

Love the idea of Borland in the middle and it has nothing to do with Badgers angle. Shazier and Borland would make a very interesting tandem in the middle for us. I also like Van Noy.

Clearly we need a safety but I have no clue who it should be. I just know whomever we take should be better than MD Jennings or Jerron McMillian. Pryor intrigues because he's Chuck Cecil psychotic and he would help remove the soft label.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 7, 2014 2:45:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Rss Feed