Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 9:53:16 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 428
Applause Received: 254

One loose end still there in free agency is Matt Flynn. There has been very little said or done - which to me, seems like a good thing. I see Scott Tolzien as having a much better upside than Flynn. I'd like to see Tolzien benefit from a full off-season and training camp, and Flynn not re-signed.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 10:23:52 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,910
Applause Received: 2,117

I would have to see them both playing in the pre-season to make a decent guess. RIGHT NOW? Matt Flynn. After Scott Tolzien gets a full off season under the Packers system and school? I don't know until I see it.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 3/21/2014(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 11:15:42 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 304
Applause Received: 423

I hope The Packers don't go with Tolzien and a rookie this year.

Could be tolzien is the guy for the future, but do we really wanrt to go through another QB shuffle like last year as Ted and Mike realize the guys they have aren't the answer?

Flynn seems to be a one team, one system guy.

Which is good for The Packers, he can come in, in a pinch and lead the team to wins, Tolzien hopefully can also, but still to much uknown to go into another year with no proven, veteran backup.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 11:28:43 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 362

It all comes down to Money. How much would it cost to keep Flynn. He is likely to get an offer to at least go somewhere to add competition to start that it would be unwise to match.

Tolzien with the little experience he has, seems well ahead of where Flynn was his first couple years. I would like to have Flynn around to help teach Tolzien the offense.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline beast  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 11:47:26 AM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 219
Applause Received: 295

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
One loose end still there in free agency is Matt Flynn. There has been very little said or done - which to me, seems like a good thing. I see Scott Tolzien as having a much better upside than Flynn. I'd like to see Tolzien benefit from a full off-season and training camp, and Flynn not re-signed.

I agree Tolzien seems like he has more physical potential, but B. J. Coleman and Vince Young both had more physical potential than either of them... it takes more than just physical potential at QB.

Tolzien has the arm for some of the longer passes, but when they take away the longer passes he starts struggling. Flynn struggles to throw the longer passes but can be consistantly decent no matter what they take away.

So I say it all depeneds on how well Tolzien devolops and Mike McCarthy has talked about how he's had to cut QB school down because the CBA limits how many OTA weeks they have and I think Mike McCarthy said that cut about 3 weeks off his QB camp.

Mike McCarthy has talked about going into camp with 4 QBs (again) which he has done the last two years but hasn't done. But that could be partly due to the fact the 4th QB one year rumorly was really struggling and they released him and the next year the 4th QB got injured and couldn't practice so they release him.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 12:25:53 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,542
Applause Received: 639

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
I agree Tolzien seems like he has more physical potential, but B. J. Coleman and Vince Young both had more physical potential than either of them... it takes more than just physical potential at QB.

Tolzien has the arm for some of the longer passes, but when they take away the longer passes he starts struggling. Flynn struggles to throw the longer passes but can be consistantly decent no matter what they take away.

So I say it all depeneds on how well Tolzien devolops and Mike McCarthy has talked about how he's had to cut QB school down because the CBA limits how many OTA weeks they have and I think Mike McCarthy said that cut about 3 weeks off his QB camp.

Mike McCarthy has talked about going into camp with 4 QBs (again) which he has done the last two years but hasn't done. But that could be partly due to the fact the 4th QB one year rumorly was really struggling and they released him and the next year the 4th QB got injured and couldn't practice so they release him.

Tolzien has the skills, like Coleman and Young, but he is was not up to speed on the offense, and has not gone through Mike's QB School. He got it done throwing long, but Mike had him forcing the ball short in such predictable fashion that JPP called out the screen in the defensive huddle before he picked six'd it.

Flynn might want one more chance to start somewhere. Doesn't seem like he'll get it, but after the draft, some team might make him an offer. He's more like the Doug Pederson or Zeke Bratkowski of our era.

Tolzien is more like Hasselbeck 2.0. You get to keep Flynn around, but his physical tools are limited. Tolzien has more upside potential, but you're going to end up trading him for a draft pick in a year or two. You hope.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Laser Gunns  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 12:29:01 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 239

Flynn has no value outside of GB, and nobody wants him to start.

3 teams kicked him before letting him on the field.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
dhazer on 3/22/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 12:52:57 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 657
Applause Received: 1,347

Is there a third choice? If not, then I go with Flynn and Tolzien to the practice squad.
UserPostedImage
Offline yooperfan  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 1:10:46 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 578
Applause Received: 262

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
It all comes down to Money. How much would it cost to keep Flynn. He is likely to get an offer to at least go somewhere to add competition to start that it would be unwise to match.

Tolzien with the little experience he has, seems well ahead of where Flynn was his first couple years. I would like to have Flynn around to help teach Tolzien the offense.

Who better than Rodgers and McCarthy to teach Tolzien the offense.
That said, I'd like to have Flynn around for another year.
He's a proven commodity as a backup in Green Bay.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 1:30:36 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 362

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post

I'd rather Rodgers and McCarthy concentrate on winning games and let Flynn help Tolzien.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Laser Gunns  
#11 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 3:56:12 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 239

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post

Considering that every QB since Rodgers has been f*cking awful (Flynn is acceptable) I don't have much faith in them to mentor a QB.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline Dulak  
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2014 12:00:04 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 154
Applause Received: 100

Flynn or Tolzien ... is this a real question ... I will respond LOL

or how about this ... lets have the QB debacle we had last year because someone 'cough cough mike m.' cant let a cant pass QB go.

Flynn if we dont want to lose like dogs ... tolzien if we do ... if we want to work someone up for the future maybe tolzien but Im not sold on him
El3ment12 on 3/22/2014(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#13 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2014 3:55:18 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 304
Applause Received: 423

When it comes to back-up QB, I don't give a damn about "upside"(I hate that terminology).
Every rookie coming in to the league has some kind of "upside".

After last years backup debacle I can't even believe there is any discussion.

I'm betting The Packers have one less DB , LB, or maybe only 4 TE's on the final 53 and keep 3qb's.

Tolzien may have all the upside in the world, and in another year he may be able to be that guy who can "step in" in a pinch. Hell it could be this year, but I'm hoping The packers don't gamble with their backup QB.

I hope this news feed is right!!!!

Packers | Trying to re-sign two players The Green Bay Packers are trying to re-sign free-agent QB Matt Flynn and FB John Kuhn. 2014-03-21 18:38:40 | Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette - Pete Dougherty - See more at: http://www.kffl.com/gnew...ers#sthash.ahkIwibt.dpuf
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
Offline El3ment12  
#14 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2014 6:58:16 AM(UTC)
El3ment12

Applause Given: 31
Applause Received: 24

Tolzien lost us a couple games all by himself, and almost lost us the Vikings game had flynn not pulled off that miracle. People make fun of Flynn's arm strength, but at least he knows what he's doing out there.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Zero2Cool on 3/22/2014(UTC), nerdmann on 3/22/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#15 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2014 7:23:50 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 657
Applause Received: 1,347

Matt Flynn is a perfect backup quarterback for the Packers and for as long as Rodgers is in Green Bay. Now, how much is he worth on a long term deal? He has already stolen plenty of money from various teams and is more than likely financially set for life, so what is ample compensation?

At what point do we start grooming Rodger's successor? He's 30 now, so he realistically has 8 years at the most left in him, correct?
UserPostedImage
nerdmann on 3/22/2014(UTC)